GWT: PL Matchweek 2

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
So Klopp overplayed Robertson massively last season despite having this absolute demon waiting in the wings. The system is ideal for a fullback, but Tsimikas looks really good.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Three Burnley players mug Tsimikas with the ball. Tsimikas comes away with it, and then Burnley complains to the Ref about it.

what a bunch of babies. Hope they get relegated I’m sick of them.
I feel like that every time Arsenal play Burnley but the league needs them. If they get relegated the Premier League loses a proper English no nonsense shithouse team. Those teams are very very needed to make it feel like the Premier League. Every time your team plays Burnley you hate them, every other game you can sit back and enjoy the shithousing.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I feel like that every time Arsenal play Burnley but the league needs them. If they get relegated the Premier League loses a proper English no nonsense shithouse team. Those teams are very very needed to make it feel like the Premier League. Every time your team plays Burnley you hate them, every other game you can sit back and enjoy the shithousing.
I mean if Burnley gets relegated they will be replaced by another lesser version of Burnley. At least One of those poop house teams usually come up. And there are enough relegation managers that set up like that too.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp waits to integrate players. He’s done well with that.
Tsimikas was also hurt / had covid last season. And by the time he was fit, the matches all were critical so no resting Robertson

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So Klopp overplayed Robertson massively last season despite having this absolute demon waiting in the wings. The system is ideal for a fullback, but Tsimikas looks really good.
That isn’t exactly accurate.

Tsimikas was plagued with injuries and had a bad case of Covid last season. Didn’t get a full preseason. Couldn’t get off the ground running.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I have to say Elliott was way more convincing after the first part of the first half. Very lively offensively. He brings more flair than Ox for sure.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Klopp waits to integrate players. He’s done well with that.
Tsimikas was also hurt / had covid last season. And by the time he was fit, the matches all were critical so no resting Robertson
Yes, also Klopp at some point last year had to rely heavily on inexperienced CB too so it was important to have an experienced left back like Robo on the team.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I mean if Burnley gets relegated they will be replaced by another lesser version of Burnley. At least One of those poop house teams usually come up. And there are enough relegation managers that set up like that too.
No those real ultra no nonsense long ball teams are absolutely a dying breed. Burnley are the only one in the PL.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Good point made by Michael Owen.

Having VVD bring more confidence for the full backs to get forward.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I have to say Elliott was way more convincing after the first part of the first half. Very lively offensively. He brings more flair than Ox for sure.
I will not be taking any Elliott slander.

He is in the conversation for MOTM today. I mean even compare Elliott to what Shaqiri has done in the midfield when Klopp has played him there.

Sure there may be some growing pains but Elliott is a golden ticket player right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
LIverpool look real good. Should be contenders again for everything.
I am waiting until the end of the transfer window to do my predictions but for Liverpool there are three things to keep in mind
  • Everything went wrong for them last season and they still finished 3rd
  • Them and City are the only two teams in this era who have proven then can pace at over 90 points
  • They are going to get hurt the most because of AFCON
At a minimum, with the usual caveats, LFC should be finishing 2nd, or be having a ridiculously high/maybe record setting point total for a team finishing in the Champions League places.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
They played Burnley and Norwich. Top 3 favorites for relegation...Ill wait a bit on them.
Not have to wait long see the few next upcoming games.

That being said, where/what are they lacking? They IMO have the best starting 11, not the most depth but at full strength they are obvious contenders.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I also wonder, are Arsenal gonna stick with this inverted RB thing forever? Seeing both FBs fly forward for other teams is making me jealous

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s only possible to send two forward if you have the midfield responsibilities to cover and then strong central defenders. Neither of which is really the case for Arsenal.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It’s only possible to send two forward if you have the midfield responsibilities to cover and then strong central defenders. Neither of which is really the case for Arsenal.
Arsenal had the third least goals conceded in the Premier League last season. Definately have the players to throw both fullbacks forward. Partey - Xhaka is such a strong defensive midfield. Arsenal also have good center backs. Gabriel, White, Holding, solid enough. Probably better defensive midfielders and center backs than United without Varane yet their fullbacks bomb forward to grear effectiveness. Not to mention Saliba who Arteta doesn’t use for some reason.

The problem last season was not scoring goals, while we conceded little. Our attackers are better than our defenders on paper. Less rigid tactics would only help us.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
That's as obvious a foul as you'll ever see. No excuse for the ref not to call it live. At least VAR will fix it.
Is it? Tbh I think it’s a bad call. Who initiates contact there does gundogen not have a right to the space as much as the attacker? It’s not his fault the player is clumsy. Imo terrible call

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Is it? Tbh I think it’s a bad call. Who initiates contact there does gundogen not have a right to the space as much as the attacker? It’s not his fault the player is clumsy. Imo terrible call

You can't cut across the back of a players legs and trip him. You don't have a right to the space where a players legs are coming back as part of a natural running motion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad