GWT: PL Matchweek 12

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Win today and up to 7th

The top 3 will soon have separated themselves. Would be fun to see the other London clubs fighting at the end for 4th-6th.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England

Of course it is. Ajax are a well run club in a 2nd tier league in a small country. Manchester United are arguably the biggest club in the world, in the strongest league in the world, with literally millions of fans around the globe, in a country with one of most voracious, most assholeish medias in the world, where any article with the clubs name in the title is guaranteed millions of clicks.

No matter how much of meme club we are right now, the level of pressure and expectation is orders of magnitude higher.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean, they won, but that was not a good performance at all. Leeds are a bad team. The Conte revolution will take time.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Skipp and Højbjerg are fine. Winks didn't do badly today either. And I still think Ndombele will be a No. 6 so.... just a question if Spurs have finally found a manager that isn't beneath him.

Issue for the time being is two useless wingbacks. Reguilon had one or two good crosses, but you need more in that formation. Sessegnon looked like a deer in headlights again. Let's see if Conte can get 60m of fullbacks to at least look decent. Additionally, Kane is average at best and every time a ball is played towards Lucas and he is marked Spurs will lose possession.

Not sure what to do with the fullbacks short term. Maybe Emerson will learn something with time? He looks like a guy you can buy from the Championship for 5m rather than 30m from Barcelona. Reguilon one can only hope RM do a Coutinho and pay us 50m for him.

Defensively it was excellent in the last 45. With Romero I could see Spurs not conceding too many goals. Give Bergwijn some minutes instead of Lucas - after a decent International break for him - and Spurs might have enough to at least look OK.

Good effort today at least. Fitness levels clearly aren't up to par. Then it is difficult to win comfortably in the PL. Maybe if Kane had been on fire, but he isn't so....

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Issue for the time being is two useless wingbacks. Reguilon had one or two good crosses, but you need more in that formation. Sessegnon looked like a deer in headlights again. Let's see if Conte can get 60m of fullbacks to at least look decent. Additionally, Kane is average at best and every time a ball is played towards Lucas and he is marked Spurs will lose possession.

Not sure what to do with the fullbacks short term. Maybe Emerson will learn something with time? He looks like a guy you can buy from the Championship for 5m rather than 30m from Barcelona. Reguilon one can only hope RM do a Coutinho and pay us 50m for him.

Reguilon looked good today if you ask me.

Emerson looked fine too and has been generally positive since he joined.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Reguilon looked good today if you ask me.

Emerson looked fine too and has been generally positive since he joined.

Only Lucas gave away the ball more than Reguilon. Maybe there was a situation I cannot remember, but I honestly cannot remember Emerson being involved in anything offensively today. The only time he could have was when Reguilon for some reason was the only one out of 65k in London that couldn't see Emerson being wide open.

Reguilon scored. And he had one cross that almost reached Kane. That is more or less it.

For full backs in a back 4 I guess that is fine as long as you aren't exposed defensively. Emerson doing a 3%%&"% job at 1-0 by the way. Tanganga should have covered him better, but I have no idea why Emerson rushes into that tackle that way. He just doesn't think when he plays. As wing backs you got to do much better. Impossible for the front 3 to be responsible for everything going forward. Not expecting then to be like Rose and Walker at their best, but unless they play better there is no way Spurs will be more than OK in that formation under Conte.

Hopefully they can't get much worse. Even if especially Reguilon certainly has been.

I'm lost for words how Spurs spent 60m for the pair. Not saying they are the worst full backs in the league, but in terms of value for money they got to be up there.

Hope one day they will prove me wrong. At least for Emerson it is early days. Seen that before - players needing time.

For Reguilon we got 20m sitting on the bench as a backup of course. He is even more useless.

I'm generally speaking quite optimistic on behalf of Spurs. I think there is a lot of quality in that squad - but the full backs are just not very good.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Of course it is. Ajax are a well run club in a 2nd tier league in a small country. Manchester United are arguably the biggest club in the world, in the strongest league in the world, with literally millions of fans around the globe, in a country with one of most voracious, most assholeish medias in the world, where any article with the clubs name in the title is guaranteed millions of clicks.

No matter how much of meme club we are right now, the level of pressure and expectation is orders of magnitude higher.
It’s not like Ajax is a small club worldwide and I’m sure the pressure and media is just as intense, only in Dutch.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It's a bit late, but man, Arsenal Fan TV is not what it used to be.

They were actually pretty rational. Maybe so many years of outlandish expectations and the resulting failure has humbled them. I get that troopz has moved on, but man, it wasn't the same!

Reactions: Rob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad