PL Finale: Matchweek 38

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Despite finishing a point worse than last year, Liverpool were much better in the league imo. Their goal differential was better by 10 and they conceded only a goal a game (first time in 9 years this happened). Also didn't lose a game at home. Might be one of the few individuals who would rather win the league than the Champions League, so I would like a title challenge next year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I'd rather win the CL, but that being said, a great season regardless of that result now. It is bullshit that they aren't being given penalties at Anfield for whatever reason. Everyone knows this is a penalty except for the referee.

Anyway, the financial implications of qualifying two seasons in a row, in combination with this long final run and Coutinho sale money not being spent, should set Liverpool up nicely for the future.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I mean it really depends on the trophy so, in context he could be right.

Yeah I'd rather qualify for the CL than win the FA cup or league cup, but it's just funny that he said something like that considering all of the "Arsenal 4th place trophy" jokes that have been said over the years.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
League title requires much more quality across the squad than winning any knockout tournament. Liverpool won't even get close to a league title without seriously investing in their 2nd 11.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
League title requires much more quality across the squad than winning any knockout tournament. Liverpool won't even get close to a league title without seriously investing in their 2nd 11.
Klopp has solved every problem that Rodgers, (and earlier) left him with except for squad depth. This is the summer to fix that.

Even without signing another player, next year is the best LFC team on paper since FSG took over, at the least. Let's see what happens.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Yeah I'd rather qualify for the CL than win the FA cup or league cup, but it's just funny that he said something like that considering all of the "Arsenal 4th place trophy" jokes that have been said over the years.

If we are talking about FA/Carabao cup, he isn't wrong. I imagine some very bad things would happen for us if we didn't qualify for the CL.

And it's quite a bit different from Arsenal considering how they kept finishing 1st/2nd before that period, but later were content with just top four. Whilst Spurs have progressed to that point.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
City got to 100.
Impressive.
More food for thoughts for EPL fans who claim their league is so much tougher than the others though and the others don't face a challenge.
I don't think any team will reach 100 points in Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011

I think you are looking for something "funny" here.

And it seems like you agree with him funnily enough.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Impressive.
More food for thoughts for EPL fans who claim their league is so much tougher than the others though and the others don't face a challenge.
I don't think any team will reach 100 points in Spain, Germany, Italy or France.

My good fellow, you're behind the times- the matter was thought about months ago.

And the conclusions were self-evident. The Premier League is the besterest league in all worlds ever. Therefore, if a team wins the title by a street then that team is one of the greatest in English history. And, by extension, the history of club football anywhere.

It's only in non-English leagues where a team leaving its closest rivals in the dust is proof that competition contains no less than 90% glorified pub teams.

(Unless my maths is awry, the maximum points available in the Bundesliga is only 102. So a 100-point season would be a bit of a stretch, even for a league that is probably about the quality of the League One's bottom half or something.)

Reactions: Evilo

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Impressive.
Well, Germany plays a shorter league schedule so you’re hardly dropping any earth shattering prediction there.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My good fellow, you're behind the times- the matter was thought about months ago.

And the conclusions were self-evident. The Premier League is the besterest league in all worlds ever. Therefore, if a team wins the title by a street then that team is one of the greatest in English history. And, by extension, the history of club football anywhere.

It's only in non-English leagues where a team leaving its closest rivals in the dust is proof that competition contains no less than 90% glorified pub teams.

(Unless my maths is awry, the maximum points available in the Bundesliga is only 102. So a 100-point season would be a bit of a stretch, even for a league that is probably about the quality of the League One's bottom half or something.)
The problem with the Bundesliga is that there is one super team that runs away with the title and then in the offseason buys the best players from the second, third and fourth place clubs. You can see how that can hamper the league's competitiveness.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
When was the last time a team won 2 titles in a row in the PL? Or won the PL and continental trophy?

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Great, even with 2 more wins, Bayern wouldn't reach 100 points. So what's your point?
With four more wins, cause that’s how many games they’d be playing, they’d be at 96. But since you’re only looking at this year, it’d a stupid comparison

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Why is it stupid?
I read this year that Bayern, Juventus and PSG can't win the CL because they don't face a good enough challenge in their league, as opposed to the EPL.
How do you explain then that City walks on the EPL more than those three teams in their respective leagues?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
It's hard to believe the season's over. It feels like yesterday that we were having arguments about Liverpool tapping up van Dijk, or Kolasinac vs. Robertson, Salah vs. Welbeck, Morata, Sterling, Koscielny, Lovren, Davinson Sanchez, Pogba, Luiz, Kane vs. Lukaku, what Spurs could do on a bigger pitch, Everton spending tons of money, and of course whether or not City would live up to expectations. Which they did.

Some of those have been settled but others not so much. With the benefit of hindsight, Chelsea did the most damage to their team last summer and pretty much destroyed their chances. Everything else was something I expected, including Arsenal finishing with many less points than they did last season.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Why is it stupid?
I read this year that Bayern, Juventus and PSG can't win the CL because they don't face a good enough challenge in their league, as opposed to the EPL.
How do you explain then that City walks on the EPL more than those three teams in their respective leagues?

City walked on the EPL cause the bottom and mid-table teams have never been more shit. That's true in those other leagues as well, and Bayern did win their league by 21 points. More than City won this league by in fact. PSG by 15 points.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
When was the last time a team won 2 titles in a row in the PL? Or won the PL and continental trophy?

Teams not winning a repeat championship doesn't automatically equate to a strong league.

In each of the EPL's last three seasons, it's been indicative of the coach and his players falling out.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
City walked on the EPL cause the bottom and mid-table teams have never been more ****. That's true in those other leagues as well, and Bayern did win their league by 21 points. More than City won this league by in fact. PSG by 15 points.
100 points.
Just today, Levante, 15th in la Liga scored 5 on Barca.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad