Pre-Game Talk: @ Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
Ehlers plays like a beast for 5 periods. After one medicore period when it was Fefe who was sucking hardest it's Ehlers who gets demoted.

Ehlers should just hit Maurice with a puck. That joke of a coach is so horrible that he needs to be fired.

And before Fefe can win a faceoff we need Ehlers to carry the puck.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Having a goalie for a son, who played pretty high level hockey for most of it, I can tell you if he felt confident he played confident and if he didn't beach balls were going to go in. So I have some empathy for what Helly is saying.

Glad Niku gets the call up hope he steps in and plays well

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Is it just me, or does Hellebuyck always look like he's coated in a thick sheen of motor oil?
giphy.gif

hn777

Apr 22, 2019
I have been wanting to see Connor - Copp - Ehlers for a while, so I am actually excited to see what they can do. Looking forward to watching Ehlers on his off side, I think it can unleash his goalscoring beast:naughty:

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
I have been wanting to see Connor - Copp - Ehlers for a while, so I am actually excited to see what they can do. Looking forward to watching Ehlers on his off side, I think it can unleash his goalscoring beast:naughty:

I’m ok with this at 5on5 for now. It’s just irritating he doesn’t get the same opportunities on the PP while we pointlessly waste Connor’s shooting ability by putting him down low.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
At least it is an interesting combo.

Think Connor and Ehlers could work very well together.

Reactions: hn777

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well with Morrissey back in and Niku back up we likely see the following tomorrow:

JoMo Niku
Heinola Pionk
Scrub Poolman

Reactions: Ducky10

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not particularly optimistic that we'll see Dahlstrom over Bitetto in the lineup but it would be nice.

I guess worst case scenario is just bringing Niku to be the extra :P

Reactions: hn777

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I was listening to a Penguins beat writer talk to day about Tanev and how much the Penguins love him. He said both Crosby and Malkin were fighting over who got to play with him.

Reactions: behemolari

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Having a goalie for a son, who played pretty high level hockey for most of it, I can tell you if he felt confident he played confident and if he didn't beach balls were going to go in. So I have some empathy for what Helly is saying.

Glad Niku gets the call up hope he steps in and plays well

I played goalie as a kid and never got too up or down on myself. When teammates would say stuff about a bad goal here or there, I'd just keep a running tally of all their mistakes in one game and it shut them up.

Confidence is a goalie's best friend and I'd never say anything out loud about how I'm playing terribly. Don't want to put that into the universe.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
That Crosby and malkin may know more about hockey then the analytics crowd who say tanev has no value.

You do understand how the cap works right?

Them wanting to play with him says literally nothing about whether or not he’s an effective hockey player. You’re making a leading statement intending to create controversy for no reason whatsoever.

Last edited:

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
You do understand how the cap works right?

Them wanting to play with him says literally nothing about whether or not he’s an effective hockey player. You’re making a leading statement intending to create controversy for no reason whatsoever.

There were a few people here dissing on Tanev, saying the reason why he zooms all over the ice is because he was always out of position.

I dunno. I always liked the guy but yeah, salary cap and the contract he got was very surprising.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
The PP is a ****ing mess. Can’t understand why Ehlers NEVER gets the same opportunity. He is clearly ahead of Connor in his development.

Ehlers or Connor from KC's spot doesn't really matter - both are too small to be anything other than rebound collectors or pivots between the strong side and the slot man.

We run a 1 - 3 - 1 but I'd try moving the players around:

Scheif to Wheels spot - sets up another one timer and will likely provide more opportunity for 55 to get involved. I also think he's better with the puck and won't allow the defenders to cheat on Laine as much.

Wheels to KC's spot - provides a good passer down low and a net front presence with some size.

KC to Scheifs spot - he's a shooter and he's very mobile. He should be able to move around the slot and also pick up tips and rebounds - also a good shooter and a good rebounder.

This format sets up all your shooters in shooting positions and provided net front presence and screening

The downside is you lose Wheels as the QB and rely more on the point and Scheif to set things up.

Our point position needs to be much better and moving the puck, setting up both one timers and getting pucks through when things are clogged up.

Laine needs to move higher on occasion so the the PP doesn't become this one dimensional thing where we are always looking for a seam pass. He's also a good passer but doesn't play enough of a passing role on the PP as he's always waiting on that telegraphed on timer.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Regarding Hellebuyck... ehhh, I don’t mind his interview shtick. He almost always bounces back big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad