Pre-Game Talk: @ Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpicGingy

Jul 30, 2012
Ontario
I am fully expecting Tanev to score against us just because.

Wouldn't it be something if we finally managed to win in Pittsburgh with this patchwork defence?

Reactions: behemolari

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Lowry line was awful, can't change that up! :P
Maurice has achieved the highly improbable - turned a line centered by Lowry into a possession black hole. Let's just say that it might have been a bit predictable that putting a couple of slow and ineffective wingers with Lowry isn't going to allow that line to match up well with anyone. At the very least, that line is now going to have to be relegated to 4th line minutes, which blunts the potential contribution of one of your best possession centers in Lowry.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Poor Lowry.....

giphy.gif

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
So, I know the narrative right now is "ZOMGGG OUR DEFENCE IS SOOOOO TERRIBLE WE HAVE TO SCORE 5 TO WINNZ"

I'd like to present a different perspective:

Yes, especially with Niku, Morrissey, Beaulieu and now Kulikov battling injury it's really taxing an already inexperienced blueline. However, I want to suggest it's not as bad as it seems.

I feel like in the Isles game, the team played a very good 'team defense' first period. We really limited NY's chances. Then, they scored at the tail end of a well defended PP. I felt like after that the forwards started playing with the mentality that we had to score, and that got worse when the Islanders went up 2-0. Our forwards stopped coming down lower to support the D, started bobbling passes, mishandling pucks, trying to finesse the puck out of the zone instead of just making the smart play.

Even last year, with a much better defense, we were poor as a team defensively, and I again assert this has more to do with the forwards than the defenseman.

I am not a Maurice hater but if he can't get the forwards playing the right way then it's probably time for a change.

If we can get the team playing more like they did in game 1, and the first period of game 3, and we get some bodies back on D (and a resolution to the Buff scenario as in Buff comes back or we replace him) we will be just fine.

Let's see how the team responds tomorrow. I am excited to follow the story line, however stressful it may be.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Maurice has achieved the highly improbable - turned a line centered by Lowry into a possession black hole. Let's just say that it might have been a bit predictable that putting a couple of slow and ineffective wingers with Lowry isn't going to allow that line to match up well with anyone. At the very least, that line is now going to have to be relegated to 4th line minutes, which blunts the potential contribution of one of your best possession centers in Lowry.

Also says a lot about how good his wingers where LY - I like Lowry but he was not necessarily the grease that made that wheel turn.
Then again, he's now living in opposite land where he has nothing to work with -
Little's return might bump Copp back down on L's wing - which makes this line so much better - bye bye test tube.
Bourque should be OK with Lowry / Copp - I like the fact that he hits a lot (I miss Tanev).

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The Islanders are a sit-back-and-defend team, which gave the illusion that the Jets were actually accomplishing something defensively in that first period.
That's incorrect. I was watching the Isles feed and Trotz was talking about their style of play and what they wanted to do to the Jets.

In the first period, the Jets neutralized their strategy by having the forwards come deeper in the zone and provide close support for the defense and each other, resulting in short, effective passes and better speed breaking out.

After the Isles scored, the forwards started hanging higher, and spreading out. The D was not supported and it caused turnovers and way more zone time for the Jets (which with our inexperienced D caused a lot of missed coverage and opportunities).

AKAChip

Nov 19, 2013
Winnipeg
Let me try to make sense of a thought process here:

Gustafson (deservedly based on preseason) makes the team. Then he sits in the press box for three games and now seemingly four, despite horrendous defensive play and an injury to our second best centre. His family was also rumoured to be in the New York area in anticipation of his NHL debut. What is he here for, exactly?

Last edited:

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
That's incorrect. I was watching the Isles feed and Trotz was talking about their style of play and what they wanted to do to the Jets.

In the first period, the Jets neutralized their strategy by having the forwards come deeper in the zone and provide close support for the defense and each other, resulting in short, effective passes and better speed breaking out.

After the Isles scored, the forwards started hanging higher, and spreading out. The D was not supported and it caused turnovers and way more zone time for the Jets (which with our inexperienced D caused a lot of missed coverage and opportunities).
They actually said during the game that the Islanders had become a defensive dynamo partly at the expense of their offense, and that they were making a mistake at not coming at the weak defensive corps harder during the first period.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
They actually said during the game that the Islanders had become a defensive dynamo partly at the expense of their offense, and that they were making a mistake at not coming at the weak defensive corps harder during the first period.
Who said that, Sportsnet :laugh:

I prefer to analyze by watching the game. The Jets were making quick decisions in close support which is the key to breaking an agressive forecheck. They stopped doing that when they got down.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Who said that, Sportsnet :laugh:

I prefer to analyze by watching the game. The Jets were making quick decisions in close support which is the key to breaking an agressive forecheck. They stopped doing that when they got down.
Okay..., if you say so. I saw a very boring first period where the Islanders sat back and didn't pursue pucks that well.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The Jets have played 3 games and have given up 40 High Danger Scoring Chances. There are 4 other teams that have also played 3 games. They have averaged 22 High Danger Scoring Chances against over their 3 games. We are almost double and haven't even played a really strong offensive team. Yikes.

Who is up next? Oh, crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad