Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Bellerive scores tonight but his former linemate Estaphan gets a hattrick to go up 2-0 in the series over the Hurricanes.

Wanted to see him called up to WBS for the playoffs but they are also down 2-0 in their series.

Also quite possible with ZAR up too.
It was always a stretch he'd make the team next season anyway.
Just pointing out one possibility where he fights for a spot.

Reactions: JimmyTwoTimes

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Allvin doesn't exactly have the best record as Director of European Scouting, if you look at how many of his guys have panned out, I hope him being Dir. Of Amateur scouting goes better for him.

I am still waiting for that "steal" of a pick out of him. I think Simon might be one of those as he was an older aged player that was drafted not so long ago while he was still Dir. of Euro scouting, but I hope for more home runs from him in the future.

Olund could be one, Bjorkqvist potentially...not even sure if he was in on those but likely. Same for Tiffels.

Allvin was hired as a scout in '06, then promoted to Head European Scout in '12. In that time, they drafted the following out of European Leagues (Europeans playing the North America would not have been his area of responsibility):
Alexander Pechurskiy (2008, Round 5)
Viktor Ekbom (2009, Round 6)
Tom Kuhnhackl (2010, Round 4)
Oskar Sundqvist (2012, Round 3) * From here on, as Director of European Scouting
Kasperi Kapanen (2014, Round 1)
Dominik Simon (2015, Round 5)
Filip Gustavsson (2016, Round 2)
Kasper Bjorkqvist (2016, Round 2)
Niclas Almari (2016, Round 5)
Jan Drozg (2017, Round 5)
Linus Olund (2017, Round 5)
Antti Alojarvi (2017, Round 6)

If we leave off the last two years as simply being too soon to judge, there's really only two outright busts during his tenure: Pechurskiy and Ekbom, both of which were made before he was in charge of European Scouting. Sundqvist may wash out in the end, but he's at least seen a decent number of NHL games, Kuhnhackl has to be considered a success for a fourth round pick, and Kapanen, Simon and Gustavsson are all headed in the right direction.

Realistically, "steals" are more a product of luck, than of skill of the scouts, these days. It's not like in the old days when the Red Wings were the only team doing much scouting of Europe.

Reactions: HandshakeLin

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Allvin was hired as a scout in '06, then promoted to Head European Scout in '12. In that time, they drafted the following out of European Leagues (Europeans playing the North America would not have been his area of responsibility):
Alexander Pechurskiy (2008, Round 5)
Viktor Ekbom (2009, Round 6)
Tom Kuhnhackl (2010, Round 4)
Oskar Sundqvist (2012, Round 3) * From here on, as Director of European Scouting
Kasperi Kapanen (2014, Round 1)
Dominik Simon (2015, Round 5)
Filip Gustavsson (2016, Round 2)
Kasper Bjorkqvist (2016, Round 2)
Niclas Almari (2016, Round 5)
Jan Drozg (2017, Round 5)
Linus Olund (2017, Round 5)
Antti Alojarvi (2017, Round 6)

If we leave off the last two years as simply being too soon to judge, there's really only two outright busts during his tenure: Pechurskiy and Ekbom, both of which were made before he was in charge of European Scouting. Sundqvist may wash out in the end, but he's at least seen a decent number of NHL games, Kuhnhackl has to be considered a success for a fourth round pick, and Kapanen, Simon and Gustavsson are all headed in the right direction.

Realistically, "steals" are more a product of luck, than of skill of the scouts, these days. It's not like in the old days when the Red Wings were the only team doing much scouting of Europe.
Good points.

I'd add 2 things. We have no idea what players he advocated for who weren't selected, especially during the Shero regime. The accuracy of his assessments is known only to those in the organization.

Given that he was a 1st rounder with strong ties to JR, I'd remove Kapanen from Allvin's record. It's impossible to know how much weight the scouts' assessment carried in the decision to take him.

I'd take Kapanen off of that list.

I'd take Kapanen off of that list.It's impossible to know how much weight the scouts' assessment carried.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
WBS signed Masonius to an AHL deal next season. What will that do to his rights? He played 3 seasons in college and if he would have played his 4th be would have been Free to go FA.

Will signing an AHL deal change that? Or can he light up the AHL next season and then pick his spot?
I think it's same path that Ryan Segalla took (sign AHL deal after Junior season), and CapFriendly show his rights own by the Penguins as "Indefinite", so it should be the same for Masonius. Hoping for a different result.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think it's same path that Ryan Segalla took (sign AHL deal after Junior season), and CapFriendly show his rights own by the Penguins as "Indefinite", so it should be the same for Masonius. Hoping for a different result.
hqdefault.jpg

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
No Bellerive for WBS yet( prob wont happen anyways since they are close to being eliminated). Lethbridge won tonight and now down 2-1 in the series. Jordy with an assist.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
No Bellerive for WBS yet( prob wont happen anyways since they are close to being eliminated). Lethbridge won tonight and now down 2-1 in the series. Jordy with an assist.
Just for my edification, the only way Bellerive can play at WBS(this year or next) is IF Lethbridge is done for the year?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

Dude has an NHL ready wrist shot already. Unreal he went undrafted.

Gotta stear clear of those 5’11” guys with skill that can produce.

I’ll never forget in around 02 Greg Malone was asked why the Pens passed on Jiri Hudler and he said it was because they already had Ben Eaves.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Gotta stear clear of those 5’11” guys with skill that can produce.

I’ll never forget in around 02 Greg Malone was asked why the Pens passed on Jiri Hudler and he said it was because they already had Ben Eaves.

:facepalm: LOL. "Oh, Ben Eaves. *******. Why didn't you say so!"

I also like the fact Bellerive isn't afraid to go to the net and battle. Skating looks plenty solid to me in the video's I can find from the past year. I'm sure he needs to polish a lot and I'm VERY conservative on prospects in general but this kid just has the look of another steal by JR (scouts really deserve the credit on JB) and company.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bellerive with another 2 assists tonight. 25 points in playoffs now. At least a point in every game.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Who would people compare Bellerive to? (I haven't watched him besides a few highlights to form an opinion). A scrappy, undersized left-handed goal scoring winger makes me wonder if perhaps he's somewhat in the mold of a guy like Robby Fabbri?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Who would people compare Bellerive to? (I haven't watched him besides a few highlights to form an opinion). A scrappy, undersized left-handed goal scoring winger makes me wonder if perhaps he's somewhat in the mold of a guy like Robby Fabbri?

A Crosby lite.

But seriously, he may actually stay at center with how stocky he is. Built like Crosby. And does all of the things required from a Center.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Anybody watching the U18s?

Saw a few of the Canada games. Alexis Lafreniere is the obvious standout. Rapheal Lavoie, Ty Dellandrea and Ryan Merkley are the others who looked solid to me, in albeit limited viewing.

Only saw one USA game, but Hughes clearly lives up to the hype. What a fun player to watch,

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Speaking of prospects...when the Pens do start missing the playoffs its gonna be fun watching the lottery. Could finish in teens and still end up in top 3. If we end up winning it in any of those years, hf will shutdown

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

From a couple pages ago, if you missed it:

In case you're not quite hyped enough about our forward situation from here on out, I was talking to a poster who had watched Bellerive play about a dozen times this year over on the prospects board, comparing his production/potential with Cody Glass, and he said his game reminds him of a "grittier Guentzel".

Pens to the rest of the NHL:

giphy.gif

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's kind of funny because the Penguins screwed up just as badly as the other 30 teams did in passing on Bellerive in the draft.. they just kinda lucked out that he accepted their camp invite (assume he received many other invites) and they got to see him up close and realized their mistake.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Saw a few of the Canada games. Alexis Lafreniere is the obvious standout. Rapheal Lavoie, Ty Dellandrea and Ryan Merkley are the others who looked solid to me, in albeit limited viewing.

Only saw one USA game, but Hughes clearly lives up to the hype. What a fun player to watch,
K'Andre Miller really stood out to me for Team USA. He's slated to go in the last 1st or early 2nd, maybe he falls to us.

He was shaking forecheckers while standing still.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad