Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In case you're not quite hyped enough about our forward situation from here on out, I was talking to a poster who had watched Bellerive play about a dozen times this year over on the prospects board, comparing his production/potential with Cody Glass, and he said his game reminds him of a "grittier Guentzel".

If you asked me to describe the ideal wing I'd like to have in the pipeline, it'd probably look a lot like a grittier Guentzel.

You forgot to mention the part where he was described as "Hornqvist like passion".

I'm now going to adamantly maintain he'll bust in the end because I can no longer stand the hope.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
You forgot to mention the part where he was described as "Hornqvist like passion".

I'm now going to adamantly maintain he'll bust in the end because I can no longer stand the hope.
He really looks solid. Good hands, tenacious, has some speed, kinda built a little like a tank.

In case you're not quite hyped enough about our forward situation from here on out, I was talking to a poster who had watched Bellerive play about a dozen times this year over on the prospects board, comparing his production/potential with Cody Glass, and he said his game reminds him of a "grittier Guentzel".

If you asked me to describe the ideal wing I'd like to have in the pipeline, it'd probably look a lot like a grittier Guentzel.

I think he is much stronger on the puck than most forwards I've seen at that level. He seems really strong in general and has some decent hands from the video I've watched on him. And he's got really good vision on the ice.

I would not be surprised to see him in WBS next season. Plus he has the hairline to match Sprong and Kessel.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I would not be surprised to see him in WBS next season. Plus he has the hairline to match Sprong and Kessel.

He's too young. NHL or CHL only for him next year. Big shame, as I think AHL would be good for him. Part of me thinks CHL prospects in his shoes should start trying to get 1 year contracts in the SHL or Liiga.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
He's too young. NHL or CHL only for him next year. Big shame, as I think AHL would be good for him. Part of me thinks CHL prospects in his shoes should start trying to get 1 year contracts in the SHL or Liiga.
That's an interesting thought. I hate to see him stuck at Lethbridge for another year.. For some reason he looks older to me...I keep forgetting he is 18.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Getting that kind of feedback for an undrafted player at 18 right when we're moving 1st round picks annually does almost seem to good to be true haha.

He really looks solid. Good hands, tenacious, has some speed, kinda built a little like a tank.

I think he is much stronger on the puck than most forwards I've seen at that level. He seems really strong in general and has some decent hands from the video I've watched on him. And he's got really good vision on the ice.

The hairline is definitely the key.

He's gonna need that strength and tenacity for the next couple jumps in competition. Sounds like drive isn't going to be a problem though.

AverageJoeFan

Mad cat
Feb 15, 2018
Pittsburgh
Getting that kind of feedback for an undrafted player at 18 right when we're moving 1st round picks annually does almost seem to good to be true haha.

The hairline is definitely the key.

He's gonna need that strength and tenacity for the next couple jumps in competition. Sounds like drive isn't going to be a problem though.
I think he is playing center right now but I guess it isn't much of a leap to move to a wing position if needed. Pretty sure he is a left-handed shot.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He seems to only be playing C out of necessity right now. And at only 45% on the draws against teenagers, that doesn't bode well for his future against pros.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He seems to only be playing C out of necessity right now. And at only 45% on the draws against teenagers, that doesn't bode well for his future against pros.

So another year in the WHL playing centre full time would be good for him, even if he doesn't end up as a centre as a pro.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
WBS signed Masonius to an AHL deal next season. What will that do to his rights? He played 3 seasons in college and if he would have played his 4th be would have been Free to go FA.

Will signing an AHL deal change that? Or can he light up the AHL next season and then pick his spot?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
WBS signed Masonius to an AHL deal next season. What will that do to his rights? He played 3 seasons in college and if he would have played his 4th be would have been Free to go FA.

Will signing an AHL deal change that? Or can he light up the AHL next season and then pick his spot?

Once he's signed that AHL deal the org no longer owns his rights iirc. They only have his rights as long as he's a prospect or on an NHL contract.

So yes, in the unlikely event that he lights up the AHL, he can go somewhere else the season after.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Yep, we'd still have a shot at signing him but every other NHL team could offer him a deal.

That draft's looking like a bit of a bust for us, basically down to the Finns, Bjorkqvist and Almari to salvage it for us, at least Gustavsson was able to get us Brassard though.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Yep, we'd still have a shot at signing him but every other NHL team could offer him a deal.

That draft's looking like a bit of a bust for us, basically down to the Finns, Bjorkqvist and Almari to salvage it for us, at least Gustavsson was able to get us Brassard though.

Bjorkqvist could be a legit 3rd liner. He improved this season, next one will tell us alot. Like what Ive seen from him so far. Alot of these prospects are similiar right now..just need one or two to take that next step in their game and stand out above the others.

Sprong and Bellerive are the higher end prospects.

Then you got Blueger, Ohlund, Bjorkqvist, Drozg, Johnson, Miletic, and a few others who could make an impact on a Simon type level or bust out and pass him up. Its not bad for never having a first round pick.

Angello and Lafferty as well. With Angello having more potential imo.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

In a year where we didn't get a 1st round pick, I'd say getting a world-class goalie prospect is a pretty solid showing.

I mean, we traded him, but that shouldn't count against our draft. He ended being an incredibly useful asset.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
In a year where we didn't get a 1st round pick, I'd say getting a world-class goalie prospect is a pretty solid showing.

I mean, we traded him, but that shouldn't count against our draft. He ended being an incredibly useful asset.

Yup. Not every year that a 2nd round 19 year old is a key piece in getting a player like Brassard.

As best I can remember from the probability graphs of getting an NHL player from a pick, 6 picks starting at 55 probably ends up with one player making an impact at NHL level most years and you're doing well to get two. Count Gustavsson getting Brassard as that impact and we're playing with free money with the other picks.

Which is good as wej20 isn't wrong about Bjorkqvist and Almari looking like the only two with a chance there :laugh:

Reactions: Warm Cookies

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah, I can't see that as a bad thing at all.

Also, I look at guys like ZAR, Johnson, Sheary, Miletic, Bellerive, Dea, D'Orio as prospects the team got for literally nothing the last 3-4yrs that are starting to make an impact. Sheary's impact is his knees hitting the ice for falling for nothing, but ZAR is really starting to make his mark in the playoffs with his work ethic.

So once in a while we lose our 1sts or a prospect, as long as we're still adding prospects in some way, I'm ok with it. I just hope JR and his Scouts are not tunnel visioned like Shero was and explores Europe as well.

Rudy Russo

Mar 16, 2018
ZZYZX, California
Yeah, I can't see that as a bad thing at all.

Also, I look at guys like ZAR, Johnson, Sheary, Miletic, Bellerive, Dea, D'Orio as prospects the team got for literally nothing the last 3-4yrs that are starting to make an impact. Sheary's impact is his knees hitting the ice for falling for nothing, but ZAR is really starting to make his mark in the playoffs with his work ethic.

So once in a while we lose our 1sts or a prospect, as long as we're still adding prospects in some way, I'm ok with it. I just hope JR and his Scouts are not tunnel visioned like Shero was and explores Europe as well.
With Sheary and ZAR playing for the pens in the playoffs it will help the pens in the future signing un drafted free agents. Also, I've read that the pens are very high on the new Director of Amateur Scouting Patrik Allvin who took over for Randy Saxton. So i'm sure the pens will still look at Europe for talent.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
With Sheary and ZAR playing for the pens in the playoffs it will help the pens in the future signing un drafted free agents. Also, I've read that the pens are very high on the new Director of Amateur Scouting Patrik Allvin who took over for Randy Saxton. So i'm sure the pens will still look at Europe for talent.

Allvin doesn't exactly have the best record as Director of European Scouting, if you look at how many of his guys have panned out, I hope him being Dir. Of Amateur scouting goes better for him.

I am still waiting for that "steal" of a pick out of him. I think Simon might be one of those as he was an older aged player that was drafted not so long ago while he was still Dir. of Euro scouting, but I hope for more home runs from him in the future.

Olund could be one, Bjorkqvist potentially...not even sure if he was in on those but likely. Same for Tiffels.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The Pens have taken 50% of their picks in the last two years from Europe. I think its safe to say Rutherford's happy to explore Europe.

Don't really see a lot to sniff at with Allvin's record either. I think there's only been 4 European based picks in the top 100 in his time here; three hit as trade bait and the fourth its far too early to say. Other than that, he's been restricted to low picks, mostly recently, and its super hard to say anything about those other than Simon's doing everything we could hope for.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Around the draft last year Sexton(I think it was him) seemed to be very giddy about almari. Pens seem to think he'll be a good player. Could be a guy to watch.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I mean depending on what JR does in the summer(ex. if he trades Sheary), there could be a LW spot up for grabs with not many LW'ers bubbling up atm.

If you remove Sheary from the roster but add Sprong, we still have more wingers than we know what do with, and our top 9 LWs are probably Hagelin-Guentzel-Rust.

Reactions: Warm Cookies

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Bellerive scores tonight but his former linemate Estaphan gets a hattrick to go up 2-0 in the series over the Hurricanes.

Wanted to see him called up to WBS for the playoffs but they are also down 2-0 in their series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad