Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Asked how Bleuger looked at Worlds.
This kind Latvia HF'er provided some insight:

Blueger/Blugers is one of the bigger surprises of the tournament for Team Latvia. He's been very solid so far. Reads the game very well, doesn't look like it's his first World Champs at all. Just mature decision making on the ice, solid all around player. Isn't overly physical, but covers the ice well.

Too bad he's been put on our 4th line with pretty bad linemates. Since we're winning games, the coach hasn't changed the lines, but he should be rising up the ranks as the tournament goes along.

Personally, I think he should be assigned to our PP unit with the playmakinh skills he has. He's not being used efficiently with a bunch of wooden-handed bums playing alongside him.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Guy was 8th on WMU in points. There's no rush.

Barely making the cut on the German national team is just as much a testament to the state of German hockey as it is to Tiffels as a player.

This has nothing to do with either his point totals on WMU or making the German team vs. barely making the team. It has everything to do with how he has played, how he is playing against men in this tournament, how he is being utilized (significant role, important face-offs, important defensive zone assignments, important PK role, etc.), and what kind of player he is. He is not going to light it up as an offensive player, period. Doesn't matter if he plays another year of college or 3 more years of college.

He projects to be a bottom-6 forward who can play on the PK and be a reliable defensive player. Any possible offense he could provide in the future would be a welcome bonus and pleasant surprise. He plays a mature game and is physically mature. He is ready to be signed and your assessment that he shouldn't be based on the reasons you cited is merely over-thinking the obvious.

Already before the playoffs started SJ had destroyed the Islanders a few times, would have been really hard for them to beat that team.

It just sucks that there is no Memorial Cup or playoffs in WBS for him.

Honestly, I don't believe Sprong is going to miss out by not playing in the Memorial Cup. He needs to work on his defensive game and learn good habits at the pro level. Playing in WBS would have been ideal, but practicing with the big club as part of the Black Aces is the next best thing and certainly more useful than playing more junior games, even if it's in the playoffs or Mem Cup.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly I think Sprong will get more out of a run with the Black Aces than he would playing against kids his age and younger.

Of course that silver lining would have gone out the window had the Pens lost last night, so...silver lining still there.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Who runs the Black Aces skates? They don't practice or travel with the team, but I'd assume they'd want to have some sort of structured practice rather than just a free skate.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
Yup same here, will be nice to see the baby Pens in action. I'll take the kids as well, they're going to have fun.

See you guys there, then!

;)

I signed up for ticket info from the Rocket but don't remember seeing single game prices. I presume they will do single games and were just trying to push season tickets / mini plans etc given the proximity to the Big team now.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He projects to be a bottom-6 forward who can play on the PK and be a reliable defensive player. Any possible offense he could provide in the future would be a welcome bonus and pleasant surprise. He plays a mature game and is physically mature. He is ready to be signed and your assessment that he shouldn't be based on the reasons you cited is merely over-thinking the obvious.

Bottom 6 forwards need to produce regularly. It's not a bonus, it's required of them. See Hagelin, who torched the NCAA compared to Tiffels. You need to be able to generate offensive chances to play in the NHL.

I think believing you can accelerate a player's development by moving them into a higher level of competition sooner than they're ready for it is overthinking.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Who runs the Black Aces skates? They don't practice or travel with the team, but I'd assume they'd want to have some sort of structured practice rather than just a free skate.

I'm sure they practice with the team, at least when they are home and at least some of the time. They will also be with the team for most of the team meetings, be with the team for video coaching sessions, meals, etc. If they don't participate in the regular team practices, they will practice just before or after, and will take part in optional practices. In short, there is a lot of interaction with both our players and coaches/trainers and it's certainly a helpful learning and bonding experience for them.

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
I'm sure they practice with the team, at least when they are home and at least some of the time. They will also be with the team for most of the team meetings, be with the team for video coaching sessions, meals, etc. If they don't participate in the regular team practices, they will practice just before or after, and will take part in optional practices. In short, there is a lot of interaction with both our players and coaches/trainers and it's certainly a helpful learning and bonding experience for them.

They were on the road some during the run last year as well. At least in the Finals.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Ty Hennes is probably involved too when they are in PIT. He's the one who puts injured/rehabbing guys through the paces at UPMC66. Donatelli's probably running them regularly i would imagine. Maybe a guy like Recchi would be on ice too.

Last edited:

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Certainly some of the WB guys benefit from the exposure especially during the playoffs. But the openings available to play are limited unless something changes as to health or cheaper contracts for the same or better performance. Take Sprong, he is a RW behind Kessel, Hornqvist, Rust. So he will need to show he is an great option and play his way into the lineup.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I could see Blueger getting a call up. But I think the best thing for him is to center a top line in WBS for most of next season. He's just starting to reach his potential and gaining some consistency, let him build on that.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Good news is we don't have to keep filling out our bottom 6 with FAs who are past their prime like we did under bylsma.

We have so many forwards who are ready and close to ready to step up and fill in. That allows us to spend money on our defense.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Good news is we don't have to keep filling out our bottom 6 with FAs who are past their prime like we did under bylsma.

We have so many forwards who are ready and close to ready to step up and fill in. That allows us to spend money on our defense.

The only real gap at forward that we don't have a prospect to step into is 3rd line centre. They've got a number of guys they could plug in on the 4th line and a guy like Sprong who could be ready for top 6 sooner rather than later.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The only real gap at forward that we don't have a prospect to step into is 3rd line centre. They've got a number of guys they could plug in on the 4th line and a guy like Sprong who could be ready for top 6 sooner rather than later.

Still think Bones comes back for a 1-2 year deal to add to his cup resume before deciding to cash in. Especially if we win it this year, why not come back and go for the 3peat?

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
What about ZAR? He was the most highly sought-after UDFA and by all accounts NHL-ready. While being a Penguins fan certainly weighed in on his decision, I can't believe he would turn down offers to play immediately (and burn a year of RFA status to boot) for other teams to play next season WBS?!? I'm a lifelong Penguins fan too, but like the great Big Ben Healy once said in Problem Child: "I'd sell my soul to the Japanese if they made me an offer."

TLDR: I believe the Pens have plans for him next season.

Last edited:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
If ZAR and Sprong do pan out, to go along with all the other wingers we have , I wonder if they decide to put Guentzel at 3C. I'd hate for him to be away from Crosby, but if we lose Bones and can't find a solid replacement...that might happen. He was a Center first, we moved him to LW.

Its something we could try a little bit during the season and then make the switch for the playoffs. But like I said, I'd hate to breakup Sid and Jake. I want to see what type of numbers they can put up over a full season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I've never seen Blueger rated all that high among the Penguins, he's consistently around their 10th best prospect or lower when I read the Guerin and Botterill prospect updates. I think of him as a good center prospect, but I never see that anywhere else. He's responsible defensively and a skilled playmaker. 31 points in 54 games in your first AHL season while playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th lines (Rowney and Sundqvist were the top-6 centers for most of the year IIRC) is pretty impressive.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...iel-Sprong-Tristan-Jarry/stories/201612260035
http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ns-prospects-for-2015-16/stories/201512230197

Not listed this year, 10th last year. Maybe it's just because he only played in 5 games up until that article was published this year due to injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad