Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
Is Sprong still a legit prospect? Is he progressing at all? Does he have a chance of sticking in Pgh next year?

Any other good prospects in the organization with real upside?

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is Sprong still a legit prospect? Is he progressing at all? Does he have a chance of sticking in Pgh next year?

Any other good prospects in the organization?

1. Yes, without a doubt
2. Yes, without a doubt.
3. Yes, without a doubt
4. Yes, without a doubt

Those were some softball questions. Sprong has 19 goals and 34 points in 21 games this year, he's obviously doing well. Some other prospects doing well:

Jarry: .920 save% and 2.28 GAA with WBS this year (for starters with over 30 games, he ranks 4th in save% and 2nd in GAA)
Gustavsson: .917 save% and 2.52 GAA in the SHL this year in 14 games
Lafferty: 12 goals and 33 points in 28 games with Brown this year
Taylor: 9 goals and 29 points in 33 games with Union College this year (he's having a great bounce back season, he had 31 points in 34 games in 14-15 and fell to only 12 points in 36 games last year as a defenseman)
Blueger: 5 goals and 19 points in 33 games with WBS, while playing almost solely bottom-6 minutes and not getting scored on
Sundqvist: 16 goals and 36 points in 49 games with WBS this year
Byron: 17 goals and 36 points in 33 games with U of Maine this year

A lot of the 2016 picks aren't having great seasons though. I think Bjorkqvist, Hall (he's done for the year due to injury), Jones, Almari and Masonius are all having poor seasons. You can also include Simon and Pouliot in the poor season category too.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012

Any other good prospects in the organization with real upside?

Sprong has been on a tear once he was fully acclimated to pay again. I think he was scorless in his first 5 games but has been on a tear since. Hes finally putting a lot of points in the Q. Id say 1 year in the ahl and he could be ready. His offensive skill is off the charts. He was a top-10 offensive talent but his apparent character and defensive issues caused him to drop. Hes progressing very well especially when you consider the shoulder injury.

Most of our other projects are in college so not alot of can attest to how they actually play but based on stats and what ive read on them Palvychev, Lafferty, Byron and tiffels could be ones to watch. Palvychev is a 6-7 mutant that we wont be seeing for another 3 years but is a defensive center with some offensive upside. Tiffels has Hagelin level speed apparently. Lafferty has seen a huge offensive boost in his Junior year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lafferty is funny to me. I never view him as a legitimate prospect before this year because I grew up playing against him. We are both 95 birth years and he played for the Altoona Trackers/Mid State Mustangs growing up. Yeah, he beat up on that league, but that's because Pittsburgh amateur leagues were never great in my year (and especially bad in the year after me, he was just a good AA player when the 94s were included in my league). Now, you kinda have to view him as an actual prospect because he was a mid round pick that's performing well in college hockey.

It's just weird thinking about someone you played against is like a legit NHL prospect, it's hard to believe someone who was playing in the PAHL (joke of an amateur league in Pittsburgh) is actually performing this well and is an actual NHL prospect. The best players in that league only end up playing ACHA D1, while most of them end up in D2 or D3.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont really understand where all his production came from. He has tripled his production from the previous year. Did he get an expanded role, is his division really bad?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They had a few senior forwards that graduated. 2 of their top 3 scorers from last year, in fact.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Byron had 1 goal and 3 assists tonight, and (IIRC) finishes his collegiate career with 40 points in 34 games.

Josephs had 2 goals and an assist tonight too.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I guess Maine still goes into the Hockey East tournament even though they're in last place. So Byron won't be coming to WB/S just yet.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Byron had 1 goal and 3 assists tonight, and (IIRC) finishes his collegiate career with 40 points in 34 games.

Josephs had 2 goals and an assist tonight too.

All our college seniors, wingers Blaine Byron (18-22-40 in 34 games for Maine) and Troy Josephs (15-10-25 in 32 games for Clarkson), and defenseman Jeff Taylor (9-22-31 in 34 games for Union) set new career highs in goals and points this season. Not bad for a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks. They should at least each get a PTO for the Baby Pens once the NCAA playoffs are over.

Maine still ended their regular season on a 7 game winless streak, finishing near last in Hockey East. They play #6 seed Vermont in a 1st round best-of-three series next weekend. Clarkson earned the #6 seed in ECAC and gets to host #11 Rensselaer in a 1st round best-of-three series next weekend. Union tied with Harvard for the top spot in ECAC, earning a 1st round bye so they'll only enter the playoff picture by mid-March.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
Someone tell me how excited to be for the college propsects' numbers.

Bryan Rust's College Stats

Freshman Season = 40GP, 6G, 13A, 19 PTS
Sophomore Season = 40GP, 5G, 6A, 11 PTS
Junior Season = 41GP, 15G, 19A, 34 PTS
Senior Season = 40GP, 17G, 16A, 33 PTS

Nick Bonino(BoninoBonino)'s college stats:

Freshman season = 39 GP, 16 G, 13 A, 29 PTS
Sophomore season = 44 GP, 18 G, 32 A, 50 PTS
Junior season = 33 GP, 11 G, 27 A, 38 PTS

Jake Guentzel's college stats:

Freshman Season = 37GP, 7G, 27A, 34 PTS
Sophomore Season = 36GP, 14G, 25A, 39 PTS
Junior Season = 35GP, 19G, 27A, 46 PTS

So I guess these prospects might or might not be as good as Nick Bonino. Set your level of excitement accordingly.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Bryan Rust's College Stats

Freshman Season = 40GP, 6G, 13A, 19 PTS
Sophomore Season = 40GP, 5G, 6A, 11 PTS
Junior Season = 41GP, 15G, 19A, 34 PTS
Senior Season = 40GP, 17G, 16A, 33 PTS

Nick Bonino(BoninoBonino)'s college stats:

Freshman season = 39 GP, 16 G, 13 A, 29 PTS
Sophomore season = 44 GP, 18 G, 32 A, 50 PTS
Junior season = 33 GP, 11 G, 27 A, 38 PTS

Jake Guentzel's college stats:

Freshman Season = 37GP, 7G, 27A, 34 PTS
Sophomore Season = 36GP, 14G, 25A, 39 PTS
Junior Season = 35GP, 19G, 27A, 46 PTS

So I guess these prospects might or might not be as good as Nick Bonino. Set your level of excitement accordingly.

Thanks. Current bonino crap aside, pretty excited.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I guess Maine still goes into the Hockey East tournament even though they're in last place. So Byron won't be coming to WB/S just yet.

All our college seniors, wingers Blaine Byron (18-22-40 in 34 games for Maine) and Troy Josephs (15-10-25 in 32 games for Clarkson), and defenseman Jeff Taylor (9-22-31 in 34 games for Union) set new career highs in goals and points this season. Not bad for a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks. They should at least each get a PTO for the Baby Pens once the NCAA playoffs are over.

Maine still ended their regular season on a 7 game winless streak, finishing near last in Hockey East. They play #6 seed Vermont in a 1st round best-of-three series next weekend. Clarkson earned the #6 seed in ECAC and gets to host #11 Rensselaer in a 1st round best-of-three series next weekend. Union tied with Harvard for the top spot in ECAC, earning a 1st round bye so they'll only enter the playoff picture by mid-March.

Thanks guys. Eager to see how these 3 fit on the Baby Pens.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
i'm particularly excited to see byron on the baby pens. he seems like a more offense oriented version of bleuger.

Ziggyjoe21

Nov 12, 2003
Pitt
1. Yes, without a doubt
2. Yes, without a doubt.
3. Yes, without a doubt
4. Yes, without a doubt

Those were some softball questions. Sprong has 19 goals and 34 points in 21 games this year, he's obviously doing well. Some other prospects doing well:

Jarry: .920 save% and 2.28 GAA with WBS this year (for starters with over 30 games, he ranks 4th in save% and 2nd in GAA)
Gustavsson: .917 save% and 2.52 GAA in the SHL this year in 14 games
Lafferty: 12 goals and 33 points in 28 games with Brown this year
Taylor: 9 goals and 29 points in 33 games with Union College this year (he's having a great bounce back season, he had 31 points in 34 games in 14-15 and fell to only 12 points in 36 games last year as a defenseman)
Blueger: 5 goals and 19 points in 33 games with WBS, while playing almost solely bottom-6 minutes and not getting scored on
Sundqvist: 16 goals and 36 points in 49 games with WBS this year
Byron: 17 goals and 36 points in 33 games with U of Maine this year

A lot of the 2016 picks aren't having great seasons though. I think Bjorkqvist, Hall (he's done for the year due to injury), Jones, Almari and Masonius are all having poor seasons. You can also include Simon and Pouliot in the poor season category too.

Thanks for this. Our prospect pool seems really....bad.

Seems like Sprong is the only skater prospect with real impact potential. I read Sunqvist is projected to be a 3-4th liner so I wouldn't consider him an "impact" player.

Seems like the Pens really lucked out with the Sheary, Guentzel, and Rust. It is hard to find a 40-60 point winger in the 3rd + rounds.

Too bad Pouliot is likely a bust. Went from playing in the playoffs last season to barely even 10th on the organizational depth chart.

Hopefully there will be some good college free agents we can snag. Looks like we really need them.

Obligatory shout out to Matt Murray. That dude is a god send.

Shero's drafting and prospect development has been bad for a very long time but his most recent batch of youngsters really came through.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Thanks for this. Our prospect pool seems really....bad.

Seems like Sprong is the only skater prospect with real impact potential. I read Sunqvist is projected to be a 3-4th liner so I wouldn't consider him an "impact" player.

Seems like the Pens really lucked out with the Sheary, Guentzel, and Rust. It is hard to find a 40-60 point winger in the 3rd + rounds.

Too bad Pouliot is likely a bust. Went from playing in the playoffs last season to barely even 10th on the organizational depth chart.

Hopefully there will be some good college free agents we can snag. Looks like we really need them.

Obligatory shout out to Matt Murray. That dude is a god send.

Shero's drafting and prospect development has been bad for a very long time but his most recent batch of youngsters really came through.

Considering where we draft and how many prospects have graduated recently, I think our prospect pool looks pretty damn good.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Considering where we draft and how many prospects have graduated recently, I think our prospect pool looks pretty damn good.

Yeah, I think considering that they have graduated Sheary, Rust, Guentzel, Kuhnhackl, Wilson, Dumoulin and Murray in the last 2 years, the Penguins pool looks pretty solid. The prospect pool has lost 7 guys in the last 2 years to the NHL, that's really the only reason it looks bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad