Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
No way in hell Hague falls to us.

oh ye of little faith......draft bizz. craig button, mckeens and c.p. at espn don't even have him on their top 31......and there are guys that always fall.....and we might even move up
but most of all, ever since the pen's stopped having high draft picks. I have yet to pick the one we draft...........i'm due! :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think we'll get a good player. This draft's top end is weak but the 5-30 range is as good as any IMO.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
oh ye of little faith......draft bizz. craig button, mckeens and c.p. at espn don't even have him on their top 31......and there are guys that always fall.....and we might even move up
but most of all, ever since the pen's stopped having high draft picks. I have yet to pick the one we draft...........i'm due! :)

I just hope JR doesn't move too many picks this summer and next year, they are 2 drafts that can help us big time going forward. Of course we want to be active and win the Cup every year, I just hope like the past 2 seasons he just remains smart!

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Would you have believed Sprong falling that late in round 2 when he was projected as a 1st?

You never know, the draft some years is freaking weird and players take big time jumps

Unless there's some issue with Hague's father and some supposed rumors of his attitude, I might be missing something here. But yeah, if he falls to the Pens pick, I'd definitely be tempted to take the guy or hey if we have the 31st pick, I would want that first 2nd round pick so we can pick back to back or at least one of the higher 2nd round picks too and take Hague and a solid C.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Tiffels and Germany down USA 2-1.
Only caught the 3rd. Frederik was pretty impressive.
Kid can skate.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Am I the only one who these twitter videos aren't playing for? I have tried them on 2 different computers and my ipad and they're not working (the one from today and from last week). Anyone have any other links to them?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Am I the only one who these twitter videos aren't playing for? I have tried them on 2 different computers and my ipad and they're not working (the one from today and from last week). Anyone have any other links to them?

It's been an issue with me as well. Can't figure it out...

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

Same for me at home, both computer and Ipad does not load the video

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

Was gonna ask the same thing. Found a clip of the goal against Russia on YouTube.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
he keeps his feet moving through the whole play too, its what allows him to get around that defender. see it in the NHL where players get past the blue line and stop moving their feet.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Two things about Tiffels, and after watching him in the game against Sweden the other day:

1) I am very happy to see he plays center, at least for Team Germany (I was under the impression he was a LWer). He started every period and was on the PK. Took important draws in the defensive zone as well. Seems like a smart and responsible player. I feel quite a bit better about our C position going forward with him in the mix in addition to Sundqvist and Blueger because we don't know for sure how good either of those guys can be at the NHL level. Tiffels sure looks like a player (be it at C or LW), and I'm glad we have that additional positional depth.

2) I would really like to sign him this summer. He's already turning 22 this month and he's physically mature. I believe his development would be accelerated more by spending the year in WBS than going to back to college. This is an absolute no-brainer IMO, and I hope the Pens get this done this summer. He could play some games as soon as next year and possibly even be a regular by the end of next season after some time in WBS (like Guentzel) or following year at the latest.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't see any rush in signing him. He's not at risk of bolting as a UFA like Byron since he was only drafted 2 years ago. I'd like to see him produce more in the NCAA first.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I don't see any rush in signing him. He's not at risk of bolting as a UFA like Byron since he was only drafted 2 years ago. I'd like to see him produce more in the NCAA first.

He was drafted 2 years ago but he's already played 3 years of college hockey. His numbers have stagnated there, and is 2 years older than others from his draft. He is absolutely physically mature and plays a mature defensive game. I can absolutely tell from his play in watching him that he's not any more likely to develop an offensive element to his game by playing at a lower level (college) than he is by turning pro now, and in fact I believe he is actually more likely to develop an offensive element by playing with/against better players at the pro level. And he will have a chance to be a top-6 guy in WBS so it's not like he'll have limited minutes that would hinder his development.

My point with Tiffels is that he needs 1 year of pro before he's ready to play in the NHL, and that's not going to change whether he plays his senior year or not. He needs to get into WBS and start learning the Pens system, maybe get some games when there are injuries to the big club, etc. The point of signing him now is to expedite his arrival to the Pens, so by 2018-19 season he can be a solid, reliable player who can play in the NHL full time. If we leave him in college for another year and then a year in WBS, we'll have his rights for 3 years before he's a UFA at the NHL level. We should get him in the fold now.

He's ready to turn pro, end of story. It's that simple and we'll waste a year with him leaving him in college for his senior year. The WC tournament has shown he can play with/against men, so let's get him signed. He'll help WBS too, which is also valuable, especially since we'll have some openings there (Sundqvist, Archibald, Kostopolous, etc.)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah there's always the other side of spending all 4yrs in College, if a player plateau's, he's not going to benefit from playing in that same environment, I'd like to see Tiffels signed as well. I think he'd probably quickly leap frog Blueger and especially Sundqvist who just has not impressed at the NHL level this year at all. But we all remain hopeful.

Tiffels has the speed and he plays a solid 2-way game.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Guy was 8th on WMU in points. There's no rush.

Barely making the cut on the German national team is just as much a testament to the state of German hockey as it is to Tiffels as a player.

Last edited:

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah there's always the other side of spending all 4yrs in College, if a player plateau's, he's not going to benefit from playing in that same environment, I'd like to see Tiffels signed as well. I think he'd probably quickly leap frog Blueger and especially Sundqvist who just has not impressed at the NHL level this year at all. But we all remain hopeful.

Tiffels has the speed and he plays a solid 2-way game.

I dunno much about Tiffels, but Blueger is a hell of a good player. His only real weakness is finishing touch, but quickly glancing at Tiffels stats, it doesn't look like he is a big goal scorer either.

I'll be surprised if Blueger doesn't make some noise next season.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I dunno much about Tiffels, but Blueger is a hell of a good player. His only real weakness is finishing touch, but quickly glancing at Tiffels stats, it doesn't look like he is a big goal scorer either.

I'll be surprised if Blueger doesn't make some noise next season.

I'm a bit concerned if a college player's career plateaus at 21 points. But college careers can be a bit tricky to read when it comes to transitioning to the pro's.

I've never been really high on Bleuger, but it seems like his game was really starting to come together toward the end of the season this year. I'd love to see him get a heavy workload next year and see how he responds, seems like the kind of player that would thrive on it. He could definitely become a solid third line center for us in a year or two.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
StJohn win the presidents cup sweeping the team that beat Sprongs Islanders.

Already before the playoffs started SJ had destroyed the Islanders a few times, would have been really hard for them to beat that team.

It just sucks that there is no Memorial Cup or playoffs in WBS for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad