Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
Its really too bad we don't get to see those college guys in our prospect or training camps. How many more years do we have to wait till those forwards start playing for WBS?

Rust will be turning pro after this season. I have no proof, but I would not be surprised to see Wilson and Archibald turn pro this offseason as well.

As far as the sophomores and freshemen, I would wait a couple more years.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Rust will be turning pro after this season. I have no proof, but I would not be surprised to see Wilson and Archibald turn pro this offseason as well.

If you have no proof, what makes you think he will? Just curious is all, I mean to me, a kid leaves the College rank when he feels his game is at a level where playing there seems redundant and that he should be playing against better competition and the team feels he could benefit from it.

Rust was a long shot up until last season, for him to be in the talks to be leaving soon, admittedly by you with no proof, would be pretty interesting.

I am ok with Archibald and Wilson staying where they are, if they were to move on to the AHL, maybe Shero would finally see what his drafting has accomplished and could move some of the comfortable wingers he's kept around in Dupuis, etc and finally start using some developed talent. Wishful thinking, but I like to stay on the positive side of this.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Archibald yes, but Wilson no, me thinks. Archibald is ready to take the jump, and probably would have been this year, even. But Wilson could most certainly benefit from an extra year or so to physically mature. Also, because Wilson is less of a "sure thing" to be an effective pro player and has less of a chance at being an impact NHLer, I think he may hedge his bets and finish his education at college. He'll definitely turn pro, I just see him very likely taking the full 4 years.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Its really too bad we don't get to see those college guys in our prospect or training camps. How many more years do we have to wait till those forwards start playing for WBS?

Assuming they go the full four years in college:

14/15 Season:
Rust

15/16 Season:
Archibald, Wilson

16/17 Season:
Blueger

17/18 Season:
Guentzel, Byron, Josephs

Granted, some number of those will never even get signed, and a couple might leave college hockey early to turn pro, but that's basically when to expect them to turn pro.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010

14/15 Season:
Rust

15/16 Season:
Archibald, Wilson

16/17 Season:
Blueger

17/18 Season:
Guentzel, Byron, Josephs

Granted, some number of those will never even get signed, and a couple might leave college hockey early to turn pro, but that's basically when to expect them to turn pro.

Blueger may be an early leaver. Guentzel will probably leave whenever he physically matures, too, similar to Beau.

AlanMSaunders

Aug 25, 2005
Pittsburgh

14/15 Season:
Rust

15/16 Season:
Archibald, Wilson

16/17 Season:
Blueger

17/18 Season:
Guentzel, Byron, Josephs

Also 16/17 Sean Maguire and 17/18 Ryan Segalla and Dane Birks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This Ryan Walters kid, is he worth a look for the Baby Pens? I am sure the Pens scouting staff is getting a good look at him as well, curious what his pro's and con's are in his game.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
He's put up good numbers, but it's pretty clear that Archibald has been the proverbial straw that stirs the drink on that line last season and this one.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Also 16/17 Sean Maguire and 17/18 Ryan Segalla and Dane Birks

The question was specifically about forwards, so I left those out. Birks is actually slated to go pro in the 18/19 season (if he ever does), because he's currently doing one more year in the BCHL, and will only start his freshman year of college in the 14/15 season (D'Agostino did the same thing, which is why he's only in his first year in the AHL this season, even though he was drafted in 2008).

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
J-Bomb article on Harrington

"He's done a nice job of adapting to how we want to play systematically and he's done a good job, for a young guy, showing strength and the ability to compete down low in the corners and around the net." coach John Hynes said. "That's been a nice addition to his game." - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins coach John Hynes on defenseman Scott Harrington.

http://citizensvoice.com/sports/harrington-ready-to-be-tested-1.1580705

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Everybody's favorite skillful-minded biscuit scorer, Anton Zlobin, is back to practicing with full contact, so he should get into a game sometime in the near future.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm pretty certain Archibald will turn pro after this season.

So incoming pro players (either joining the baby Pens at the tail end of this season or to start camp next year) will be Dea, Marcantuoni, Archibald, Murray, Rust, and Pouliot. A pretty good crop.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
God i hope we can get our own stud goalie prospects, the next Gibson.:laugh:

The top 2 goalie prospects in the world are both Penguin goalies. Jarry and Murray.:laugh:

They're now on top of the WHL and OHL, respectively.

Pretty nice to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad