Status
Not open for further replies.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
i think it's worth porting over the last post from the old thread:

Shelly Anderson ‏@pgshelly 1m
#Penguins '13 first-rounder Derrick Pouliot invited to Team Canada development camp in August for world junior team hopefuls.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010

#Penguins '13 first-rounder Derrick Pouliot invited to Team Canada development camp in August for world junior team hopefuls.

Would ideally like to see him make the WJC team. Hopefully he has a Tanger esque overage year.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal

After we trade Letang this weekend, Pouliot will be in the NHL next year anyways :sarcasm:

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

Have only seen DP play a few times, and I frankly don't know too much about the competition. But shouldn't the 8th overall pick be a lock to make the team?

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
Have only seen DP play a few times, and I frankly don't know too much about the competition. But shouldn't the 8th overall pick be a lock to make the team?

The WJCs are about who is the best at that exact moment. The NHL draft is about who has the best chance to play at a high level in the NHL. Being a high draft pick doesn't inherently mean you're the 8th best player in the draft at that time.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
The WJCs are about who is the best at that exact moment. The NHL draft is about who has the best chance to play at a high level in the NHL. Being a high draft pick doesn't inherently mean you're the 8th best player in the draft at that time.

Typically, an 8th overall has done pretty well and is drafted based on his past and future prospects. Longer term "projects" go later. There were some good D-men drafted ahead of him, but I suspect at least a couple may be in the NHL in the fall.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

The Canadian posters on the World Juniors thread consider Pouliot a stone cold lock to make the team and QB the powerplay.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Beauty! He's got a great chance at making the team. Can't wait to see him in international competition.

Crafton

Liver-Eating Johnson
May 6, 2010
San Francisco
Beauty! He's got a great chance at making the team. Can't wait to see him in international competition.

agree on the later two sentences. here's a question from an 'ugly american': can someone explain the whole 'beauty' thing? why do you people up north use that word so frequently to describe people you like? has the word's usage in this context permeated society or is it used exclusively to describe hockey players? :)

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

For every team except Canada, yes.

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
The Canadian posters on the World Juniors thread consider Pouliot a stone cold lock to make the team and QB the powerplay.

I saw him play at the Memorial Cup. GREAT puckmoving D-man, excellent vision. Needs a bit of work defensively, but for an offensive D-man it's definitely pretty good.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hopefully the departures of dupuis and kolarik allow for players with potential to play. Any freeagents from college/Europe of interest?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
They'll probably be replaced by other AHL vets. Any college free agents worth talking about have probably already been signed. Shero & Botterill love depth. Zolnierczyk is probably going to replace one of the two.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
agree on the later two sentences. here's a question from an 'ugly american': can someone explain the whole 'beauty' thing? why do you people up north use that word so frequently to describe people you like? has the word's usage in this context permeated society or is it used exclusively to describe hockey players? :)

Usually hockey related, but not always. Don Cherry uses it a lot, and so did Bob and Doug McKenzie on SCTV back in the day. You can use it as an adjective or noun to describe anything great. Often preceded by "****in".

"You see that Malkin dangle last night? What a ****in beauuuuty!"

"So the line at Tim's was out the door this morning, but Scotty sees me as he's going up to the till and buys me a large double double. ****in beauty guy."

Ironically, you never really use it to describe a pretty girl. Probably wouldn't use it to describe anything too highfallutin either:

"That quartet was amazing last night. The scherzo in Opus 95's a real ****in beauty!"

This would never happen.

Last edited:

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
Usually hockey related, but not always. Don Cherry uses it a lot, and so did Bob and Doug McKenzie on SCTV back in the day. You can use it as an adjective or noun to describe anything great. Often preceded by "****in".

"So the line at Tim's was out the door this morning, but Scotty sees me as he's going up to the till and buys me a large double double. ****in beauty guy."

Ironically, you never really use it to describe a pretty girl. Probably wouldn't use it to describe anything too highfallutin either:

"That quartet was amazing last night. The scherzo in Opus 95's a real ****in beauty!"

This would never happen.

This is probably the context I'd use it in the most, because I'm obnoxious like that.

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON

This would never happen.

This guy is a Beauty

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
So, we added a few new forward prospects at least. Not any of them will be in WBS next year, and i dont know if theyll participate in the rookie tournament seeing they are all college bound.

We need forwards in WBS, and we need to fill the roster for the rookie tournament as well.

Do you think we will sign any FA prospects? or just use camp invites for the rookie tourneys and sign veteran free agents for WBS?
And if so, what are the best options available for free prospects now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad