Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospect Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

penguins2946*

Hell, if they want a goalie that lets in. 15 goals on 47 shots , they should give me a call. If that is all that is needed, then I'm good to go.

Sivek

Apr 9, 2011
UNO pipeline running wild tonight. Megna with a goal for the Pens. Archibald and Guentzel played on a line together tonight and combined for 2 goals and 4 assists, including Archibald scoring the game-winner in OT on an assist from Guentzel and Jayson Megna's brother, Jaycob.

On the season, Archibald has 9 pts (4+5) in 7 GP, and Guentzel 5 pts (2+3).

Troy Josephs, about as anonymous as any Pens prospect, had the assist on the OT winner for Clarkson tonight. He has 2 pts (1+1) through 7 GP and has been playing a regular bottom-6 role. Clarkson has been surprisingly not terrible this season.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
UNO pipeline running wild tonight. Megna with a goal for the Pens. Archibald and Guentzel played on a line together tonight and combined for 2 goals and 4 assists, including Archibald scoring the game-winner in OT on an assist from Guentzel and Jayson Megna's brother, Jaycob.

On the season, Archibald has 9 pts (4+5) in 7 GP, and Guentzel 5 pts (2+3).

Troy Josephs, about as anonymous as any Pens prospect, had the assist on the OT winner for Clarkson tonight. He has 2 pts (1+1) through 7 GP and has been playing a regular bottom-6 role. Clarkson has been surprisingly not terrible this season.

Sign him up. We are family!

penguins2946*

For some reason, I have high hopes for Archibald. If no one else, I'd put money on him becoming a good NHLer. I don't know why I feel that way.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
For some reason, I have high hopes for Archibald. If no one else, I'd put money on him becoming a good NHLer. I don't know why I feel that way.

Maybe because a couple of guys here who know their stuff have been talking him up for the last year?

That and watching 2 of his games has me in agreement with you. Remember when Kunitz was much more physical and aggressive, but not as polished a scorer as he is now? That's Archibald in 3 or 4 years.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

I think that predicting a guy with high end speed, grit, that's good defensively and that can score 20 in the NCAA is going to become a good NHLer is a huge stretch. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

Because he's arguably our best forward prospect, along with Tom Kuhnhackl (I omit Sundqvist & Blueger from that discussion because it's too early to know they're the real deal or not).

I think that predicting a guy with high end speed, grit, that's good defensively and that can score 20 in the NCAA is going to become a good NHLer is a huge stretch. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Totally agree. AND, he also participated in the WJCs and has shown some great leadership & character attributes. They're no reason, at this time, to think that he couldn't be a really good middle-6 forward for this team within 2 years or so.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Prospects Stats Update - October

Stats as of Nov 2
* denotes rookies
Italics mean the player is not on the team at the moment (promoted/demoted)

MINOR PRO

Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL, 8-1-0-1, 1st in East Division)

Off to one of the best starts in club history the Baby Pens are 2nd in points and, surprisingly, 5th in goals scored in the AHL. Brian Gibbons is 5th in league scoring, AHL signings Tom Kostopolous and Jeff Deslauriers are playing well and the team shows solid depth throughout. While Chris Conner and Harry Zolnierczyk were the first to get a call-up it is 2nd year pro Jayson Megna who seems about to stick in Pittsburgh after being promoted Oct 24.

F Brian Gibbons (25, free agent '11): 5-10-15, 15 PIM, +11
D Brendon Mikkelson (26, free agent '13): 2-7-9, 13 PIM, +5 (9 gp)
F Nick Drazenovic (26, free agent '13): 1-8-9, 6 PIM, +1
F Andrew Ebbett (30, free agent '13): 3-5-8, 2 PIM, +1
F Dominik Uher (20, 5th rd. '11): 3-3-6, 11 PIM, +2
F Harry Zolnierczyk (26, trade with ANA '13): 5-0-5, 10 PIM, +3 (7 gp)
*F Tom Kühnhackl (21, 4th rd. '10): 5-0-5, 14 PIM, +0
F Chris Conner (29, free agent '13): 4-1-5, 2 PIM, +2 (7 gp)
F Jayson Megna (23, free agent '12): 3-2-5, 0 PIM, +8 (6 gp)
D Simon Despres (22, 1st rd. '09): 0-5-5, 13 PIM, +6 (9 gp)
F Adam Payerl (22, free agent '12): 2-1-3, 14 PIM, +3 (9 gp)
*D Scott Harrington (20, 2nd rd. '11): 1-2-3, 21 PIM, +4
D Philip Samuelsson (22, 2nd rd. '09): 0-3-3, 23 PIM, +3
F Zack Sill (25, free agent '11): 1-1-2, 18 PIM, +0
D Brian Dumoulin (21, trade with CAR '12): 0-2-2, 2 PIM, -1 (9 gp)
F Paul Thompson (24, free agent '11): 0-1-1, 14 PIM, -1 (6 gp)
F Bobby Farnham (24, free agent '13): 0-0-0, 28 PIM, -2 (6 gp)
*D Reid McNeill (21, 6th rd. '10): 0-0-0, 11 PIM, +4 (6 gp)
*D Nick D'Agostino (23, 7th rd. '08): 0-0-0, 2 PIM, +0 (7 gp)
*F Anton Zlobin (20, 6th rd. '12): (still injured)
*D Harrison Ruopp (20, trade with PHO '12): (still injured)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(no goalie prospects on roster)

Wheeling Nailers (ECHL, 2-3-0-0, 2nd in Atlantic Division)

Wheeling lost their entire defense from last season, plus veteran center Tim Crowder and goalscorer Chris Barton. Peter Delmas returned to share goaltending duties with Mike Condon, also a Habs prospect. Recent Penguins rookie tournament tryouts Carter Rowney and Cody Sylvester were added, and Denver Manderson is back after losing a year to injury. Former Pens 5th rounder Alex Velischek was cut on the last day of camp, and there were no Pens prospects on the opening day roster. At the end of October Eric Hartzell was reassigned from WBS after missing three weeks with an undisclosed injury. He made his pro debut Nov 1 in a 2-6 loss to division rival Reading.

(no skater prospects on roster)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*G Eric Hartzell (24, free agent '13): 0-1-0-0, 5.03 GAA, .833 SP, 0 SO

NCAA

Of the freshmen, Jake Guentzel (assist) and Blaine Byron (goal) each got their first NCAA point in their first games Oct 11. Troy Josephs followed suit with a goal Oct 19, and Ryan Segalla recorded his first collegiate points (2 assists) Nov 1 in UConn's first win of the season. Sean Maguire stopped 39 shots and was named 1st star in BU's season opener. The Terriers still returned to giving both goalies equal starts for the time being. Bryan Rust started his senior year with six scoreless games before having the Fighting Irish's lone goal in a 1-2 loss at Vermont Nov 1. Manning the wings on UNO's top line, Josh Archibald and Guentzel combined for 8 points in back-to-back OT wins against Denver Nov 1 and 2, with Archibald scoring both game-winners.

Seniors
F Bryan Rust (21, 3rd rd. '10) - Notre Dame (6-2-0, 5th in Hockey East): 1-4-5, 2 PIM, +2

Juniors
F Josh Archibald (21, 6th rd. '11) - Nebraska-Omaha (4-4-0, 2nd in NCHC): 6-4-10, 12 PIM, +4
F Scott Wilson (21, 7th rd. '11) - UMass-Lowell (5-3-0, 2nd in Hockey East): 1-3-4, 8 PIM, +2

Sophomores
F Teddy Blueger (19, 2nd rd. '12) - Minnesota State (3-3-0, 7th in WCHA): 2-1-3, 18 PIM, +0
G Sean Maguire (20, 4th rd. '12) - Boston University (4-4-0, 3rd in Hockey East): 1-3-0, 2.03 GAA, .941 SP, 0 SO

Freshmen
*F Jake Guentzel (19, 3rd rd. '13) - Nebraska-Omaha (4-4-0, 2nd in NCHC): 2-5-7, 6 PIM, +4
*D Ryan Segalla (18, 4th rd. '13) - Connecticut (2-2-1, 3rd in Atlantic Hockey): 0-2-2, 8 PIM, -1
*F Blaine Byron (18, 6th rd. '13) - Maine (3-3-1, 8th in Hockey East): 2-3-5, 2 PIM, +0
*F Troy Josephs (19, 7th rd. '13) - Clarkson (7-2-1, 6th in ECAC): 1-1-2, 6 PIM, -1 (8 gp)

JUNIOR LEAGUES

Quebec Major Junior Hockey League:

On Oct 27 Jean-Sebastien Déa scored a hat trick in a 5-4 win over rivals Val d'Or. It was the 8th three goal game of his junior career, and first of the season. Dea currently ranks 6th in goals the QMJHL, and his team is leading the league in goals scored. Déa also leads the league in faceoffs won.

Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (11-6-1-1, 3rd in Telus West Division)
Jean-Sebastien Dea (19, free agent '13): 14-2-16, 8 PIM, +4 (17 gp)

Ontario Hockey League:

On Oct 3 Clark Seymour returned to Peterborough for an overage season. He is again an alternate captain for the Petes. Matia Marcantuoni signed a 3-year ELC with Pittsburgh on Oct 12, he will stay with Kitchener for the rest of the season though. Matt Murray posted back-to-back shutouts Oct 12 and Oct 17, totalling 62 saves. He previously only had 2 career shutouts in 3 OHL seasons. Murray currently ranks 2nd in the league in wins, GAA, save percentage and shutouts. He will represent the OHL in the annual Super Series against the Russian juniors Nov 21 and 25.

Kitchener Rangers (4-9-0-0, 5th in Midwest Division)
F Matia Marcantuoni (19, 4th rd. '12): 4-4-8, 11 PIM, -6

Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (12-2-0-2, 1st in West Division)
G Matthew Murray (19, 3rd rd. '12): 9-2-0-2, 2.21 GAA, .927 SP, 2 SO

Peterborough Petes (7-8-0-1, 3rd in East Division)
D Clark Seymour (20, 5th rd. '12): 1-8-9, 32 PIM, -3 (12 gp)

Western Hockey League:

Portland is back to where they left off which is 1st in the league, mostly due to an offense averaging 5 goals per game. Derrick Pouliot recorded 12 points over a 6 game streak in mid-October.
After a bad September with a GAA above 4.00 Tristan Jarry turned it on for a 1.80 GAA and .930 SP last month. He recorded his first shutout of the season Oct 18.

Portland Winterhawks (14-3-0-1, 1st in U.S. Division)
D Derrick Pouliot (19, 1st rd. '12): 3-12-15, 14 PIM, +15 (14 gp)

Edmonton Oil Kings (8-7-0-1, 4th in Central Division)
G Tristan Jarry (18, 2nd rd. '13): 8-6-0-1, 2.39 GAA, .910 SP, 1 SO

Junior A

Merrit Centennials (12-9-1-0, 5th in BCHL)
D Dane Birks (18, 4th rd. '13): 1-8-9, 20 PIM (18 gp)

EUROPE

Oscar Sundqvist scored his first goal of the season, 2nd of his SHL career, Oct 5 in a 4-2 win over Linköping.

Skellefteå AIK (14-3-0-2, 1st in SHL)
*F Oscar Sundqvist (19, 3rd rd. '12): 1-2-3, 2 PIM, +3 (18 gp)

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
We used the 3rd we got from Dallas on Jake Guentzel so he was a small part of that Morrow for Morrow deal. He's someone to keep an eye on. I really liked Joe Morrow as a prospect but the deal may still turn out alright if Guentzel pans out. We shall see.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The only reason I am not sad about Agostino and Hanowski is because we have Wilson and Archibald and the big season Rust had last year.

DraftNerd

Jun 30, 2011
Omaha, NE
UNO fan here. Archibald has really improved his whole game so far this season. His first two seasons he just played reckless with stupid penalties and thinking his soured was all he needed would get him into trouble. This season although still early he has simply been amazing.

I'm familiar with Guentzel from last season in the USHL and he hasn't missed a beat. He looks phenomenal and if he develops as well as Archie has then he will be a very special player his junior year. He's already our third best forward behind Hobey finalist Ryan Walters and Archibald. Easily our most impressive freshman since..... Jayson Megna.

I won't comment on their special teams play because ours is horrendous so I don't know how to judge that mess. Dean Blais is constantly switching lines as well. Guentzel started on an all freshman line which he was basically carrying.

Glad to Jayson play well always wished he started just one more session but an so happy for him. Blackhawks fan first but UNO is a close second.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
UNO fan here. Archibald has really improved his whole game so far this season. His first two seasons he just played reckless with stupid penalties and thinking his soured was all he needed would get him into trouble. This season although still early he has simply been amazing.

I'm familiar with Guentzel from last season in the USHL and he hasn't missed a beat. He looks phenomenal and if he develops as well as Archie has then he will be a very special player his junior year. He's already our third best forward behind Hobey finalist Ryan Walters and Archibald. Easily our most impressive freshman since..... Jayson Megna.

I won't comment on their special teams play because ours is horrendous so I don't know how to judge that mess. Dean Blais is constantly switching lines as well. Guentzel started on an all freshman line which he was basically carrying.

Glad to Jayson play well always wished he started just one more session but an so happy for him. Blackhawks fan first but UNO is a close second.

Great to hear some feedback from a college fan on the front lines. Thanks!

Can you elaborate on what Archibald is doing to amaze you? Offense, physicality, defense, clutch play?

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
Its really too bad we don't get to see those college guys in our prospect or training camps. How many more years do we have to wait till those forwards start playing for WBS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad