Pittsburgh Media Thread - The worst of the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I just heard Madden and DK (I think) talking about whether Guentzel will be a long term top-6er, and Madden said that he's not sure because Guentzel "only has 1 goal in 7 games". DK echoed his concerns about Guentzel being a long term top-6er. Jesus Christ, is this really the best media Pittsburgh has to offer?

I don't care for their reasoning but I think it's still an uncertainty. I mean, it doesn't sound like they said no he definitely won't. I don't blame them for not saying "yes absolutely no question". If I had a nickel and all that.

I'm usually a proponent of "you make it when you make it" so I can't exactly say what I think. The way I would've answered it would've been "Not sure but so far he's done just about everything you could ask of him" FWIW.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't care for their reasoning but I think it's still an uncertainty. I mean, it doesn't sound like they said no he definitely won't. I don't blame them for not saying "yes absolutely no question". If I had a nickel and all that.

I'm usually a proponent of "you make it when you make it" so I can't exactly say what I think. The way I would've answered it would've been "Not sure but so far he's done just about everything you could ask of him" FWIW.

I don't have a problem of being cautious with projections, but Madden's rationale was just nonsensical and DK didn't even provide a support point for his argument. I legitimately don't know how you can question Guentzel's ability and potential based on what he has done so far.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't have a problem of being cautious with projections, but Madden's rationale was just nonsensical and DK didn't even provide a support point for his argument. I legitimately don't know how you can question Guentzel's ability and potential based on what he has done so far.

Yeah I would've been more optimistic than how it seems they were acting.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I just heard Madden and DK (I think) talking about whether Guentzel will be a long term top-6er, and Madden said that he's not sure because Guentzel "only has 1 goal in 7 games". DK echoed his concerns about Guentzel being a long term top-6er. Jesus Christ, is this really the best media Pittsburgh has to offer?

I don't listen to either of them, but given that talk radio hosts in general live for and and thrive on claiming they're right, in discussing any AHL call up, one is always more likely to be right if he takes the position that the call up (no matter who it is) will not be a long-term top-6er. The one goal in 7 games is a pretty superficial basis for supporting that opinion though. I suspect you could go back to a lot of current and past long-term top-6ers and found 7 games early in their careers where they only scored one goal.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Madden is a Fleury fanboy and always will be. Not sure what his issue is with Guentzel and caution is usually in order for youngsters, but this kid is the real deal. Unless he runs into injury trouble, he's going to be an NHL scoring line player. Discussing top 6 vs top 9 almost doesn't matter on the Pens.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

The interview with Yohe you mean? I think it was in around 3:30-4 or so?

Madden said he doesn't think Guenztel is a top six guy right now because of one goal in seven games. Then Yohe kind of agreed, but was hesitant and they argued about if he should stay up or not.

Yohe said he should be up, Madden disagreed, then changed his mind and agreed he should probably stay up. Yohe said he doesn't hurt you when he isn't scoring.

Yohe then said the coaching staff loves him, especially Sullivan and Tocchet... said how smart he is... obvious that he is a coach's son how he plays... that he's a fantastic defensive player (who knew?).

Then they carried that conversation as a sidebar about Kunitz and they both agreed he's no longer top six material and Yohe said he severely doubts Sullivan is fooled by Kunitz's resurgence. Yohe said it's his understanding and belief that Sheary is Crosby's LW when he comes back.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

DK just penned an article about how he thinks Guentzel is a legit NHLer and here to stay. Him and Yohe are pretty high on him.

Of course Yohe is still high on MAF so I don't know how legitimate his opinion is. :laugh:

I love Jake though and he is absolutely gonna be a top six guy if not now then soon.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

5 Easy Steps To Becoming DK or Madden

1. Make dumb comments
2. Act imperious
3. Be wrong
4. Refuse to acknowledge dumb comments
5. Wash, rinse, repeat

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don't know why the media and hockey world do this, but here is a reaction simply based off age. It's been a poison that has been with the hockey world as long as i can remember.

Scenario: Guy scores 1 goal in last 7 games but looks amazing, played great defense, dishing the puck for scoring chances, etc.

Media Reaction IF VET PLAYER: But Kunitz does so much away from the play! He's a real leader in that locker room and he does a lot more than just score goals.

Media Reaction IF ROOKIE: If Jake isn't scoring, he should be in WBS.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I don't know why the media and hockey world do this, but here is a reaction simply based off age. It's been a poison that has been with the hockey world as long as i can remember.

Scenario: Guy scores 1 goal in last 7 games but looks amazing, played great defense, dishing the puck for scoring chances, etc.

Media Reaction IF VET PLAYER: But Kunitz does so much away from the play! He's a real leader in that locker room and he does a lot more than just score goals.

I think it's because the media spends so much time covering the players that the develop relationships with them. It's easy for us to rag on Kunitz, but consider someone like Yohe who has interviewed him plenty of times and maybe even met his family. Media types will go to bat for a guy like that as long as it's not 100% obvious the guy is on his last legs. As long as Kunitz shows even a hint of contribution they will defend him.

Once Guentzel has been around long enough he'll get the same love but until then...tough luck.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The interview with Yohe you mean? I think it was in around 3:30-4 or so?

Madden said he doesn't think Guenztel is a top six guy right now because of one goal in seven games. Then Yohe kind of agreed, but was hesitant and they argued about if he should stay up or not.

Yohe said he should be up, Madden disagreed, then changed his mind and agreed he should probably stay up. Yohe said he doesn't hurt you when he isn't scoring.

Yohe then said the coaching staff loves him, especially Sullivan and Tocchet... said how smart he is... obvious that he is a coach's son how he plays... that he's a fantastic defensive player (who knew?).

Then they carried that conversation as a sidebar about Kunitz and they both agreed he's no longer top six material and Yohe said he severely doubts Sullivan is fooled by Kunitz's resurgence. Yohe said it's his understanding and belief that Sheary is Crosby's LW when he comes back.

I swear, I heard him say "long term". That's where my problem was with. If the discussion was right now, that's valid to at least discuss, but I swear I heard Madden say he has concerns with Guentzel being a top-6 forward long term.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I swear, I heard him say "long term". That's where my problem was with. If the discussion was right now, that's valid to at least discuss, but I swear I heard Madden say he has concerns with Guentzel being a top-6 forward long term.

He was talking strictly now and through the playoffs, definitely not about any future inability to be a top six guy. I don't take Madden's view of the game very seriously anyway though. I only put stock in when he says stuff he hears, which I feel is usually legit info.

What we should focus in on is Yohe saying the coaches love him, and that's been reflected by his usage the last couple of games.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Didn't listen today, but yesterday DK passionately argued that Guentzel was the real deal, and in no way should be back in the minors ever again. DK is behind the kid.

Madden's point yesterday was that he was concerned Guentzel would get worn down in a 7 game series vs. both the Caps and Columbus, which is not entirely unmerited.

I don't entirely agree, if they spend their time trying to bully Guentzel, then they're not targeting our stars as much, and I can't see that working out for them. He's the kind of guy, like Sheary, who can come up big for us when Sid and Geno are getting all the attention.

Dread Pirate Roberts

Jul 2, 2008
Mountain West
I mostly lurk here but I'm chiming in to say I will not take bashing of Coldplay lightly!
You mean the same way that everybody takes their music?

Guentzel also has 5 goals in his first 16 games. Seems legit.

The other day, Madden's question du jour was "Are we really THAT sure that Murray is better than Fleury?" so.....there we are.
We're either sure, or we're idiots, or we haven't watched the Penguins in the playoffs at any time during the current decade.

SwordofStMichael

Apr 4, 2013
DK Sports Radio interview with Amanda Kessel, talks NWHL All-Star Game
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-amanda-kessel-talks-nwhl-all-star-game

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni, 50th Anniversary
DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Jean-Sebastien Aubin
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburgh...bastien-aubin-talks-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Bob 'Battleship' Kelly
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-battleship-kelly-talk-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: John Cullen
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-john-cullen-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Darius Kasparaitis
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-darius-kasparaitis-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Ken Wregget
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-ken-wregget-on-penguins-50th-anniversary

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins Alumni: Colby Armstrong
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghsports/interview-benz-colby-armstrong-talk-penguins

DK Sports Radio interview with Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni
DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni:Crosby & Fleury
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...09-stanley-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Ruslan Fedotenko
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...09-stanley-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Hal Gill
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ll-on-2009-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Matt Cooke
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ke-on-2009-cup

DK Sports Radio interview Penguins 2009 Stanley Cup Alumni: Craig Adams
https://soundcloud.com/dkpittsburghs...ms-on-2009-cup

heysmilinstrange

Nov 10, 2016

It's nothing new, really. Josh Yohe points out that Maatta has been playing poorly, and when he interviews Maatta about it, Maatta says he doesn't want to make excuses and he has to get better. Then Yohe talks to Jacques Martin, who agrees that Maatta isn't playing that well and that his skating has to improve. Martin says Maatta can compensate some with positioning if his skating isn't that good, and that he will get better in time.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

I'm not sure this is all that accurate regarding Madden. He spent four years trying to sell Beau Bennett as a top 6 forward and now thinks Guentzel--who is one goal off Bennett's career high in just 16 games--is not.

Far as I can tell, Madden decides a player is good or bad based on whether or not he perceives them to be a fan/friend of his show, which is actually worse than the veteran favoritism you get from someone like Ron Cook.

Edit: That may be an oversimplification. Generally, Madden can identify good players and bad players, but every once in a while logic and evaluation go out the window when he sees someone as a friend/fan and you get stupidity like him comparing Flower favorably to Brodeur (which he has done in the past).

Rossi Rat

Feb 14, 2016
5 Easy Steps To Becoming DK or Madden

1. Make dumb comments
2. Act imperious
3. Be wrong
4. Refuse to acknowledge dumb comments
5. Wash, rinse, repeat
Here's why he wins: if you point out something he said in the past, he goes all "wow that's kind of creepy you look into something I said a while ago" loudly, insults you and hangs up. Has a great "Anything else?" to say to people too.

Dude wins every debate since he's loud and controlling.

MM is still the man and by far the best hockey mind in Pittsburgh media, but when he says that the Penguins would've won that cup last year with Fleury playing i Cant help but snicker.

You really can't deny DK and Madden's success though. To have over 100k followers on Twitter in a market like Pittsburgh is just insane. They rake in the dough.

Winger for Hire

Praise Beebo
Dec 9, 2013
Quarantine Zone 5

Hate to tell ya, that's not winning a debate.

MM is still the man and by far the best hockey mind in Pittsburgh media, but when he says that the Penguins would've won that cup last year with Fleury playing i Cant help but snicker.

Best hockey mind in Pittsburgh media isn't anything special, since most of the media doesn't realize hockey is a sport for more than 3 months.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Any poster on here is more knowledgeable about hockey than Madden, Savran or Kovacevic. These guys don't follow the rest of the league, the system or understand the CBA.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Any poster on here is more knowledgeable about hockey than Madden, Savran or Kovacevic. These guys don't follow the rest of the league, the system or understand the CBA.

I actually think for all we make fun of him that Errey is quite knowledgeable and follows the rest of the league and its players. I'd take his hockey knowledge over the rest of those guys.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Here's why he wins: if you point out something he said in the past, he goes all "wow that's kind of creepy you look into something I said a while ago" loudly, insults you and hangs up. Has a great "Anything else?" to say to people too.

You really can't deny DK and Madden's success though. To have over 100k followers on Twitter in a market like Pittsburgh is just insane. They rake in the dough.

Madden wins any debate because if a caller makes a good point that he disagrees with and he can't counter it intelligently, he hangs up.

So his voice always win no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad