Pitlick done for the Season, with torn ACL.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
but do you want to resign a guy that just can't stay healthy?

I vote for not signing him. he's never played a full season as a pro, and hasn't broken even 50 games in a year since 2011-2012.

He's a good player when he can play, but I'd rather have someone you can depend on to play more than a third of the year.

For the price he costs of course you re-sign him. Even if he only plays 1/3 of the season he's not taking up really any cap space and if he gives you 8G in 30 games from the 4th line then how can you really complain when he's making 700k (his cap hit will only be probably around 300k given the injury allows him to go on LTIR).

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I'd still sign him - he's good enough when he plays even if its only half the season.

and that's why I wouldn't.
I want a guy on the roster who can contribute all year and into the playoffs. a third or half a year of a player does nothing for the team.

it's a waste to have a guy who is "good enough" for a small part of the season.

for me this was his make it or break it year, and he broke it. he has long term injuries every single season. this isn't a fluke thing.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2008
Very unlucky player. Could be a combination of things but it really is too bad for him and the team. Hr was playing really well. Get well soon Tyler.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
but do you want to resign a guy that just can't stay healthy?

I vote for not signing him. he's never played a full season as a pro, and hasn't broken even 50 games in a year since 2011-2012.

He's a good player when he can play, but I'd rather have someone you can depend on to play more than a third of the year.

You do because it should cost less that $1M, he's still young, and this is his first injury at the NHL level and it's not something that comes from being reckless or a lack of conditioning, it came from a random fall.

Musashi

May 23, 2012
Alberta
Damn, this could be the final nail in the coffin.

Once healthy, he should have one more opportunity to make the team again but coming back from a significant injury on top of all the reoccurring injury issues, the odds are extremely stacked against him.

Then again, the odds were stacked against him coming into this year so hoping for the best.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
You do because it should cost less that $1M, he's still young, and this is his first injury at the NHL level and it's not something that comes from being reckless or a lack of conditioning, it came from a random fall.

doesn't matter what league his injuries occur in. He can't play more than half a year, and hasn't done so since 2011-12.

He was a great story up until now, and I was cheering for him. but there has to be better options out there.
going into next season we'll have a guy about to turn 26, who never plays more than half a year, coming off a major injury.
I don't see him being worth it, even if he does come cheap.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
and that's why I wouldn't.
I want a guy on the rooster who can contribute all year and into the playoffs. a third or half a year of a player does nothing for the team.

it's a waste to have a guy who is "good enough" for a small part of the season.

for me this was his make it or break it year, and he broke it. he has long term injuries every single season. this isn't a fluke thing.

At the same time it gives you a chance to work prospects into the line up.

He's tied for 5th in goals on the team, and doesn't play PP, or get much ice time, and doesn't even play in every game, but he plays hard on every shift and doesn't give up chances the other way. How do you give up on that?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
doesn't matter what league his injuries occur in. He can't play more than half a year, and hasn't done so since 2011-12.

He was a great story up until now, and I was cheering for him. but there has to be better options out there.
going into next season we'll have a guy about to turn 26, who never plays more than half a year, coming off a major injury.

For what he might cost you, no I don't know there's a better option for production in limited icetime.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

8G from the 4th line in 30 games is not something thats easy to replace. Most 4th liners don't score that over a fully season.

If you have him for 30 games giving you that and another player giving you 5 goals in the remaining 50 games you take that and run from your 4th line.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Crazy bad luck his whole career.

Hopefully he comes back next year the same player as this year. This really could be a career ending injury.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Poor guy, the kid can really play. One have to wonder where he would've been today if he had been able to stay healthy in years past.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Sad to say it but this honestly could be his career. Guy just can't stay healthy, and when you can't stay healthy, you are always playing catch up conditioning-wise, and teams just don't give contracts to bandaids.

Really sucks, must be brutal on him mentally as well. He's got the talent to be in the bigs but just can't stay healthy.

Last edited:

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Hopefully he recovers and the Oilers give him another shot. He's earned it.

Agreed, assuming he can come back from this I'm all for that.

I wouldn't guarantee his roster spot though, not with guys like Khaira banging on the door.

The unfortunate reality for 4th liners is that their job description is the most easily filled and has the most competition from the lower leagues. It's just the way of things.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
I obviously feel horrible for the guy but could this be a blessing in disguise for the team as a whole ?

in the sense, he looked like he would score more than 20 (on pace for 21) meaning he would be lloking for a decent contract and a possible target for vegas , now we can re-sign him to a one year deal and vegas wont be picking him up ... and thats such a evil mindset but ...

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Good player but made of glass. Think Ales Hemsky
I wish him the best in his recovery

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I obviously feel horrible for the guy but could this be a blessing in disguise for the team as a whole ?

in the sense, he looked like he would score more than 20 (on pace for 21) meaning he would be lloking for a decent contract and a possible target for vegas , now we can re-sign him to a one year deal and vegas wont be picking him up ... and thats such a evil mindset but ...

Yes it absolutely could be a blessing if he came back next season playing like he was this year and remained fully healthy. There's zero chance that Vegas is going to select him now, and he should be someone you can give a one-year deal to for around 750-800k.

McYoungGuns

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton,Alberta
Yes it absolutely could be a blessing if he came back next season playing like he was this year and remained fully healthy. There's zero chance that Vegas is going to select him now, and he should be someone you can give a one-year deal to for around 750-800k.

the problem imo is how this may effect him mentally, i know i would be broken right now in his place, maybe even talk to management about maybe joining management after one more try

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
...has to play balls out to be effective (and is very good when he does)... gets hurts when he plays balls out... Catch 22 unfortunately.

As long as he's healthy he should be in the lineup... should never be a healthy scratch because he makes the roster better by being on it.

Heal up and get better and come back and help this team out Tyler.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
the problem imo is how this may effect him mentally, i know i would be broken right now in his place, maybe even talk to management about maybe joining management after one more try

I think he's a tough kid. He's gone through this so many times, but this times a little different. He's finally got a real taste of success in the NHL and should be feeling pretty confident about his game when he comes back from this. Its definitely gotta be tough on him, but I think he has a better idea of what he needs to do to succeed. Maybe he could dial it back slightly to put himself in less dangerous situations, but his speed, shot, physicality, and ability to make plays still makes him a very valuable asset to our bottom 6 and I'm sure management have let him know that.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

I don't see how it would. If everything that happened to him before didn't hold him back from making the team this season and establishing himself in the NHL, I doubt this would crush him mentally.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't know Chris Schlenker but I know of him. He was on the Med Hat police force in the K9 unit if I remember correctly, until this year when he got hired full time by the NHL so he left the force. He's been named the top official in the WHL so considering he just "retired" from playing hockey 10 years ago, he climbed the officiating ladder fairly quick.

I work with someone who does know him and I believe he grew up here...so 50/50 he grew up an Oilers fan (living here in Med Hat, I see more Oilers gear around town than Flames crap)...maybe we see calls go our way :naughty:.

SDig14

Feb 19, 2010
Edmonton, AB
Only small silver lining is it happened in December and not in April or later.

He will have time to recover the rest of the year and be able to have close to a normal summer of training and be ready for next year.

Hope he brings it in camp next year, he has almost 10 months until the start of the season next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad