Confirmed Trade: [PIT/OTT/VGK] PART II (see OP)

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I can assure everyone that as a pens fan I will lose zero sleep over the perceived “fairness” of this deal. Hell if it’s technically within the rules idc if they do a deal like this 100 more times.

The salty tears in here makes me even happier with this trade. I'm glad I was a clever GM that can make smart moves like this.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If the Bolts or any other team challenging the Pens in the East would've pulled it off, you would've seen ”Crosby like” crying on here until the start of the 2018-19 campaign got underway.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
I can assure everyone that as a pens fan I will lose zero sleep over the perceived “fairness” of this deal. Hell if it’s technically within the rules idc if they do a deal like this 100 more times.

It's not just technically within the rules. It IS within the rules. Period.

People complaining about this would sing a very different tune if it was their team/GM pulling it off.

Also, the only reason this trade went down the way it did is because of Melnyk's finances, not because JR/Pens are som evil genius they're portrayed as.

I'm just surprised the Sens didn't pick the rumoured package from the Jets instead of the Pens-package. Tells me their scouts (who btw are damn good) are very bullish on Gustavsson.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Reaves has a lot of intangibles.

Then the pens should have kept him and offered up some other player. Vegas has not been bullied by teams. They didn't need Reaves at all. They already have too many forwards and dmen when healthy. GMGM just couldn't help himself from making yet another stupid trade deadline trade that does nothing for his team.

Reactions: hangman005

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
If it is legal for a 3rd team to take on cap space, then I don't mind. The second I'll start caring is when my team does it and the human bobble head starts babbling about being against the integrity of the cap or whatever bullshit he threw out there with the Kovalchuk saga.

If the door is open for a trade like that, all 31 other teams can do it as well. It has to be a fair playing field for everyone, not just a select few.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Luckily Sully would never let the team play like that.

He let them play like that for most of this year.

Whatevs. It's a clever deal for sure. Pens win, Sens win, VGK don't win, but they've already won plenty this season. And now I know why Philly fans so loathe Pens fans. So the board wins too, I guess.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lots of crying going on about this trade as a pens fan I love it

I don't know why everyone is blaming Jim Rutherford when this whole ******* thing is Jim Benning's fault.

He traded Bonino, Clendenning, and a 2nd for Sutter

Rutherford moved Clendenning and Perron (for which he'd used a first) to get Hagelin

And that 2nd round pick . . . Gustavsson, the big piece in the Brassard deal.

Basically, JR parlayed Sutter and 2 first round picks into 2 runs with Bonino, 2 runs with Brassard, and 4 runs with Hagelin.

If HFBoards wants to blame someone, blame Jim Benning.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was saying this on the Pens board, but I'm really curious to see if the Penguins can manage to re-sign Brassard. Brassard will likely get around $6 million a year as a UFA, the Penguins can afford to give him that contract or close to that if Hornqvist does not re-sign (which seems pretty likely at this point). That would make this deal even sweeter if they can get Brassard for say 5 or 6 years instead of Brassard for 2 years.

beir32

Feb 1, 2010
Stopped in to see if fans of teams who dislike the Pens and/or fans of teams who were hoping to land Brassard are still complaining about the trade. Not exactly shocked at the findings.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
If it is legal for a 3rd team to take on cap space, then I don't mind. The second I'll start caring is when my team does it and the human bobble head starts babbling about being against the integrity of the cap or whatever bull**** he threw out there with the Kovalchuk saga.

If the door is open for a trade like that, all 31 other teams can do it as well. It has to be a fair playing field for everyone, not just a select few.
Like many things in life and I have learned both professionally and personally. It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and secondly a closed mouth doesn’t get fed. Meaning you don’t know if you don’t try. All the GM’s in this threw their hands up and said... let’s see if this flies... And It did, now everyone can try it. This just happens to be the first. And any sour grapes about it from anyone wouldn’t be sour if their GM did it.

Reactions: PSUPEN and BillPrep

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
Like many things in life and I have learned both professionally and personally. It’s easier to ask for forgiveness than permission and secondly a closed mouth doesn’t get fed. Meaning you don’t know if you don’t try. All the GM’s in this threw their hands up and said... let’s see if this flies... And It did, now everyone can try it. This just happens to be the first. And any sour grapes about it from anyone wouldn’t be sour if their GM did it.

Couldn’t agree more. Like I said, as long as other teams can do it, I don’t really care.

It just has to be a even playing field for everyone and not have the commish wake up when a handful of teams did it, only to throw the book at the 6th team for trying it as well.

Nothing more. Nothing less.

Reactions: PSUPEN

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I was saying this on the Pens board, but I'm really curious to see if the Penguins can manage to re-sign Brassard. Brassard will likely get around $6 million a year as a UFA, the Penguins can afford to give him that contract or close to that if Hornqvist does not re-sign (which seems pretty likely at this point). That would make this deal even sweeter if they can get Brassard for say 5 or 6 years instead of Brassard for 2 years.

Will he?

Maybe he'll take term and the deal a little front loaded to keep the cap hit closer to where it is.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Vegas needs to worry about the ducks sharks and kings not the jets.

Don't discount the degree to which GMGM was doing GMJR a solid for keeping his word on giving up a 2nd for him to draft Fleury.

After the finals, JR could've gotten a MUCH better deal than that. He didn't. He didn't even think about it. So, while keeping Brassard off the Jets may have played into it, I'm not sure GMGM would've done what he did but for the relationship with JR and the Fleury angle.

EDIT: I remember too as a Pens fan, people complaining that JR was honoring that deal. Interesting how things work out . . .

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Will he?

Maybe he'll take term and the deal a little front loaded to keep the cap hit closer to where it is.

I think $6 million is a fair guess, based off of Turris' extension with the Predators. I have him at about $5.5 million, but maybe you can get it down to $5 million by including an extra year or 2.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
If it is legal for a 3rd team to take on cap space, then I don't mind. The second I'll start caring is when my team does it and the human bobble head starts babbling about being against the integrity of the cap or whatever bull**** he threw out there with the Kovalchuk saga.

If it wasn't legal the league wouldn't have approved it.

If a third team wants to retain salary for picks/players, why shouldn't they be allowed?

Despite what people want to say, Vegas gets a benefit out of this.

This isn't some made up shit like an equipment allergy, or teams misusing the LTIR ala Pronger, shady 12 year cap circumvention deals, or even when the Leafs used their big pockets to be rid of a bad contract.

People are just mad because their GM didn't think of it first.

Nothing more.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think $6 million is a fair guess, based off of Turris' extension with the Predators. I have him at about $5.5 million, but maybe you can get it down to $5 million by including an extra year or 2.

Turris will be 29 when his extension kicks in. Brassard will be 32 when an extension would kick in.

If he wants to stay-- and it makes sense for the Pens-- I'm sure it's workable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad