Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Not to be a debbie downer btw, but where does this leave us with Hornqvist? We've got Brass for 3m for two years, but do we have the cap to fit in Horny?

We can. Play armchair GM on cap friendly. I set up next year based on 80 mil with Brassard @ 5 mil. There was room for Horny and the RFA’s. I traded Hunwick for a 7th in 2020 and we had space

pensfansince88

Feb 5, 2012
the moment when GMJR got off the phone

giphy.gif

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
So Pens 2018 draft picks left are:

Their 2nd
Ott 3rd (Brassard trade)
Their fourth
Van fourth (DP trade)
Det 5th (Sheahan trade)

?

Oleksiak trade was a 2019 fourth, correct?

I thought we traded the 4th we got from ARI for Oleksiak.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not sure if anyone caught JR's quick interview on Root, or whatever they call it these days, but he said Reaves was a player "insisted upon being included" in the assets going out. So VGK wanted him, he wasn't just a throw-in.

Interesting. Bummer because of locker room stuff, since he seemed like a super good guy, but wasn't really a fit and happened to cost more than the rest of the 4th liners.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Vs what we thought when the trade first went down? Yeah for sure.

If Horny wants to stay and JR wants to pay him, there are lots of options with Brassard now at 3MM. Trade Sheary, Hagelin, or Sheahan.

True. I'd rather have Horny than any of those. I'd probably consider Sheary the most expendable at this point of those three.

Also I love the fact that adding Brass means we're adding a guy that is hungry for a Cup. Don't underestimate that hunger in the playoffs. Those guys on the team who haven't won one yet will go through a wall for you to try to get it.

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006
I was seeing VGK just retains 40% for this year only at first, but then saw some saying that's not possible. Don't know the rules myself, is it 100% certain that VGK retains 40% for the rest of Brassard's contract?

edit: answered above, i guess!

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
One remarkable thing about JR during his tenure here is that he is not afraid to get rid of a mistake. Most GMs will refuse to admit their errors and maybe even double down on it to try to prove a point.

Good point. That reaves trade looks even worse now, but i like the fact JR doesnt give a shit about admitting a mistake and correcting. Think him being at the end of his career has alot to do with it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
So Pens 2018 draft picks left are:

Their 2nd
Ott 3rd (Brassard trade)
Their fourth
Van fourth (DP trade)
Det 5th (Sheahan trade)

?

Oleksiak trade was a 2019 fourth, correct?

Van 4th went to Vegas

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
I don't see how this deal affects Hornqvist's future at all. The Pens were never going to be able to compete with the open market on him. If he wants to be here, he'll be here. If he want's to take a well deserved cash-out at the end of his career, he'll go to free agency.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Can we get our fairy godfather GMGM now to retain on Zucc or Kane? Maybe we could get him to trade for Kane and then trade him to us for a bag of peanuts with 50% retained....

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Glad it's done, but I am sad we lost Reaves.

Also, I wish we got the other Vince Dunn, this one looks like a crazy redneck that makes his own snake jerky in his garage.

Yeah I looked up Dunn and thought this was pretty good then I looked and he plays for St Louis.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Glad it's done, but I am sad we lost Reaves.

Also, I wish we got the other Vince Dunn, this one looks like a crazy redneck that makes his own snake jerky in his garage.

Yeah I googled vince dunn really quick and went "woah JR is an absolute genius if he got this defenseman too". This guy we got is a warm body in the minors let alone the NHL.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad