Confirmed with Link: [PIT/OTT/VGK] Brassard/Dunn/Lindberg/3rd for Gustavsson/Cole/1st/3rd for Reaves/4th | VGK ret. 40%

NeedleInTheHay

Mar 26, 2008
Brassard is the best Penguins 3C they have had in their history, right? He's better than Staal IMO and I'm not sure who else challenges him for that title. Maybe if you count Lemieux as a center in 2001, they had Lemieux, Straka and Lang down the middle, but that kinda seems like an unfair comparison.

Nope it was Lemieux-Hrdina-Jagr, Straka-Lang-Kovalev.

I don’t really remember Straka ever playing center.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Straka played plenty of center, just not that year. Actually, Mario played mostly left wing that year, so the #1 and #2 centers were Hrdina and Lang.

Reactions: theicebox

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think he's better than Staal, not that anyone really cares what I think about it. Brassard will be great in this system though.

Reactions: billybudd

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't think he's better than Staal, not that anyone really cares what I think about it. Brassard will be great in this system though.

I don't think he's better than Staal either, but you could make that argument that Brassard's impact with us will exceed Staal's. Staal was 23 when we traded him, whereas Brassard is 30 and comfortably in his prime.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
I don't think he's better than Staal either, but you could make that argument that Brassard's impact with us will exceed Staal's. Staal was 23 when we traded him, whereas Brassard is 30 and comfortably in his prime.

I don't know. That third line when Staal anchored it was beastly. They just held on to the puck forever. Staal put up better numbers in Pittsburgh than Brassard has to this point in his career. I think Brassard will produce extremely well, so we'll see what happens.

I'm glad we're able to have this debate!

Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I don't know. That third line when Staal anchored it was beastly. They just held on to the puck forever. Staal put up better numbers in Pittsburgh than Brassard has to this point in his career. I think Brassard will produce extremely well, so we'll see what happens.

I'm just happy that our third line is a second line again. Key to our playoff success.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Dunno if this has been posted but Watch 1:08:00 of the podcast, they talk about brassard and laugh at Cherry talking about Reaves leaving is bad.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Any word on the immigration status? Is he here? Is he playing tomorrow?

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Expected to.

tenor.gif

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This desl looks even better with Hornqvist going to be signed. That $2 million cap retention allowed this deal because he JR has a good idea of his cap situation knowing Hornqvist was the only UFA needed to be signed. Brassard plus $2 million cap relief was such s great deal. Getting that $2 million for Reaves and a 4th is a great deal. Even if you look at it as dropping 20 spots in the draft, Sundqvist, and a 4th round pick for $2 million cap relief I would do again. Helping us afford Brassard and Hornqvist is well worth that. Can we find someone to take Dea, 4rh, and 20 spots in the draft for another $2 million next season!

Reactions: td_ice

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Honestly I kinda chuckle at the "I wish I'd thought of it" angle considering the Pens utilized the same thing last year.

Obviously Brassard is a significantly higher profile than Streit, but still. Philadelphia & Tampa were paying him to sit in our press box.

Reactions: AverageJoeFan
Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
Honestly I kinda chuckle at the "I wish I'd thought of it" angle considering the Pens utilized the same thing last year.

Obviously Brassard is a significantly higher profile than Streit, but still. Philadelphia & Tampa were paying him to sit in our press box.

True, but I thought that trade was more because Philly wouldn't trade with us whereas this year was a pure salary laundering.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
It's probably a good thing JR is such a nice guy and kept his word with McPhee on Fleury, and didn't try to ask for more after Fleury's value increased in the playoffs. That probably helped with Brassard.

Wouldn't it have been F'd up if they just decided to keep Brassard though?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015

?? Staal had one really good year, his last year here. But every other year he was at 42-49 points. How is that better than what Brassard has done? Now i guess you can aurgue Brassard had more of an opportunity and Staal was getting 3C mins...but Brassard has a better career high than Staal in Points.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad