Pre-Game Talk: PIT @ NYR, Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
I'm gonna be bold and say the Rangers get a goal tonight. Not sure why I just have a weird feeling the puck might actually go in the net.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
‏@PLeonardNYDN
Kreider won't say if he's playing but he also says he doesn't remember 2012 or how he got injured. So by that logic, he's playing #NYR

Are they sure he doesn't have a concussion?

5 4 Fighting

Registered snoozer
Feb 13, 2013
Bk all day
"Like Mario Lemieux told Ulfy yesterday, anything Fleury can catch, he will catch," Vigneault said, clearly also trying to stir the pot by setting up Lemieux to be criticized if the Rangers end up winning Game 4. "So maybe if we stay away from that mitt a little bit, the chances might become a little better."

Lemieux a closet Ranger fan?

poeman

To Win The One Ring
Mar 8, 2006
What is the longest a team has gone in NHL Playoff history without scoring on the powerplay?

We must be at the record

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
The way I look at it this game is our season on the line. This team has too much difficulty stringing two wins together, let alone the three they would need if they lost tonight.

Win tonight and there's only an outside, but moderately possible chance they can win the series.

Light that garbage goalie up like he should be.

eBoge88

Apr 22, 2014
What is the longest a team has gone in NHL Playoff history without scoring on the powerplay?

We must be at the record

The Bruins were pretty terrible on the PP when they won the cup. I don't know if they were on this team's level of putrid(ness) when it came to playing with the extra man. We have to be close to the record.

NYRANGERAMI*

Rangers win the next 3.... End the series 4-2...Have no Fear..The Seer has spoken...bow and put money in my lil basket.....

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
The Rangers shouldn't have ever disclosed Kreider's broken wrist. Expect the Pens to hack at it at every opportunity if he plays.

I think they need Kreider in there almost purely for the positive psychological effect he'd have on the team and the fans.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Need to force Fleury to come up with some tough saves. In the last game, the toughest save he had to make was in the first period when he stopped MZA on a shot glove side.

Outside of that, our best chances actually beat him (I think we hit four posts in the game). The rest of our chances were easy perimeter shots.

The last two games have been too easy, for any NHL goaltender. I don't think Fleury has been all that impressive, especially to earn back-to-back shutouts (coincidentally the first time Fleury has done that in his post season career, AGAINST US).

The Blue Jackets were scoring 3-4 goals on him every game with the chances they were getting. And I suspect if the Penguins get past us, Fleury will look all too normal again.

Emery, Mason, and Fleury have all looked fantastic against us. At the end of the day, you can't always give the goaltender credit, you have to look at the shooters failing to do their job and our shooters just can't find a way to beat any goaltender easy.

Can't give up breakaway chances. Last game, Lundqvist faced 2-3 breakaway chances depending on how you looked at it. Way too many. I don't care if one goal was a five hole against Crosby on a mini-breakaway, it's not a bad goal. Last night, Rask let up a five-hole goal on Weise, the "best goaltender in the world."

Breakaway goals will happen. Can't give up three breakaway chances in a game (especially to players the caliber of Kunitz, Crosby, and especially Jokinen). I don't care if the Penguins had only 15 shots, they had 2-3 breakaways (2 of which were right after our PP). I don't remember us having one breakaway on Fleury.

Penguins shutdown big time last game. Forced everything to the perimeter. We need to be smarter to (a) be aware of the man coming out of the box so that they're not sprung for breakaways multiple times a game and (b) capitalize on our PP chances to win.

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
I'm gonna be bold and say the Rangers get a goal tonight. Not sure why I just have a weird feeling the puck might actually go in the net.

Have to get it early and have to score first. If the Penguins score first, this team will fold. We play incredibly poorly when playing from behind. And the Penguins will be able to play shutdown defense the remainder of the game, and capitalize on the scoring opportunities they get (the Penguins are a team that only need a few quality chances to score, they have the TALENT to take advantage of the opportunities, we have a multitude of 3rd liners who can't finish plays and "elite" goal scorers who are even worse than our 3rd/4th liners playing).

I wouldn't be shocked at all if the Penguins score first and we are forced playing from behind and may or may not score a goal. Would not be shocked if the Penguins can shutdown our meager offense for a third shutout where Fleury doesn't have to play all that well. We are seeing one of the worst Rangers post season efforts in terms of offensive chances this round.

11-12 3rd in GA/G
12-13 7th in GA/G
13-14 2nd in GA/G

Noticing a trend? We finish in the top half for goals against per game in each of the last three post seasons, top-3 two of the last three years, and can't get out of the second round. GOALS win playoff series. Same **** every year. Team can't score goals. They're routinely top in goals against/game but cannot win series because their offensive is wildly inconsistent.

Let's look at an example.

In the MTL/BOS series, Price has won TWO games, in each game his team scored 4 GOALS. Rask has won ONE game, his team scored 5 GOALS.

You can't win games scoring 0-2 goals per game. People always ***** about Lundqvist, but frankly, the goal support is never there. If the Rangers had better goal support, we might have won a Cup in 11-12. Tired of the same **** every year. GOALS. We need GOALS. Give him a team like the 93-94 Rangers with the offense of Messier, Kovalev, Leetch, Zubov, Graves, etc, and we might be able to do something.

Last edited:

FOD

Jul 26, 2011
The Bruins were pretty terrible on the PP when they won the cup. I don't know if they were on this team's level of putrid(ness) when it came to playing with the extra man. We have to be close to the record.

Our percentage up to this point I believe is better than the Bruins percentage that year. The Bruins did pick it up in the finals. Don't think they went 0 for 35.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Rangers shouldn't have ever disclosed Kreider's broken wrist. Expect the Pens to hack at it at every opportunity if he plays.

I think they need Kreider in there almost purely for the positive psychological effect he'd have on the team and the fans.

I mentioned this in the Kreider thread last night. After several pages of responses, I think the point settled well with the fans. :help::help::help:

Cmox

Jan 22, 2010
In the woods

Kenny Albert ‏@KennyAlbert 2m
Last 3 30+ power play droughts in @NHL playoffs: '07 Ducks 0-36, '11 Bruins 0-30, '12 Kings 0-30. All 3 won Cup! (thanks @EliasSports)

one can hope...

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
The 'importance' of anyone's post is completely subjective. What's not important to you may be important to someone else. But hey, I'll defend your right to have an opinion. It's just a slippery slope to throw up an umbrella statement over the importance of a person's post. Plus, it's combative and will usually stir confrontational dialogue.

My bad they were irrelevant and unnecessary given this thread is for discussing tonight's game. Speaking of slippery slopes I can't imagine one more slippery than trying to justify the importance of OT posts. In which case I digress.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
I mentioned this in the Kreider thread last night. After several pages of responses, I think the point settled well with the fans. :help::help::help:

I guess in that case I'll play Devil's advocate and say the Rangers never expected him to take this long to recover. Regardless, moving forward at a certain point in the season, literally no injury should be disclosed.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I have read doom and gloom for 2 days. Bleep that. Tonight we will kick some Penguins butt!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad