Confirmed Trade: [PIT/NSH] Mikael Granlund for 2023 2nd round pick

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Hextall is a rebuilding gm and not a go for it gm.

After this he isn't getting a job for a lonnnnng time. I'd hire him as head of minors/player personal development whatever title. But gm on a team with 30+ vets? Brutal fit.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If there is any small amount of solace/hope to extend... he wasn't really "soft" per se back when he was good for us before this year. He was actually pretty feisty and energetic. Which is part of what endeared him to Hynes, probably. And that's a pretty good way to gauge if you've got the Good Granlund or the Bad Granlund. If he's playing soft and uninvolved, as he did this season for us too, it's the Bad Granlund. The Good Granlund is still small and can be outmuscled, but he would certainly go into traffic and dig hard despite his physical limitations.
"Good Granlund" is actually vg at winning board battles. When he and Zucker were in MN, they were a great tag team. Zucker had the speed to get in there first (he used to be REALLY fast), Granlund the guile and skill to win the puck.

MiG isn't big, or strong, but he's smart, skilled, and he gives effort. He might not be fast, but never was. What is interesting to me is how he has changed from being a puck dominant passing winger to a grinding 3C. Finnish fans everywhere are probably sad....finish fans, too.

Reactions: mattihp

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Granlund looks exactly the same on the ice as an NHL tweener in Alex Nylander. Could have saved the pick and cap and just called up one of those guys. I’ve seen nothing to suggest Granlund is anything other than mediocre.

Zbynek

Jarry friggin sucks dude
Jun 6, 2011
Madrid, Spain
"Good Granlund" is actually vg at winning board battles. When he and Zucker were in MN, they were a great tag team. Zucker had the speed to get in there first (he used to be REALLY fast), Granlund the guile and skill to win the puck.

MiG isn't big, or strong, but he's smart, skilled, and he gives effort. He might not be fast, but never was. What is interesting to me is how he has changed from being a puck dominant passing winger to a grinding 3C. Finnish fans everywhere are probably sad....finish fans, too.
Ah yes, the Mike Sullivan effect.

Sadly his only chance at top-6 minutes is if his old buddy Zucker walks this summer at UFA or Guentzel is traded or something.

A lot of people on the Pens board will blame Sully, and they are mostly right, but the fact still remains 1) he should have never been acquired and 2) 22 point pace is pretty f***ing bad man, even if you are getting grinding 3C minutes.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Hextall is a rebuilding gm and not a go for it gm.

After this he isn't getting a job for a lonnnnng time. I'd hire him as head of minors/player personal development whatever title. But gm on a team with 30+ vets? Brutal fit.
To be fair to Hextall (which i hate being), any GM would have a hard time dealing with a team like PITT with it's aging stars and history of success. Boston has done an extraordinary job of it, but most teams(like ANA, CHI), have a very ugly period near the end.

Having said that . Crosby is still really, really good, Malkin is just a tad behind, and Letang somehow is still underrated.

Ah, nvm.... f*** Hextall. Fletcher, too, while we're at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Flyer lurker

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
To be fair to Hextall (which i hate being), any GM would have a hard time dealing with a team like PITT with it's aging stars and history of success. Boston has done an extraordinary job of it, but most teams(like ANA, CHI), have a very ugly period near the end.

Having said that . Crosby is still really, really good, Malkin is just a tad behind, and Letang somehow is still underrated.

Ah, nvm.... f*** Hextall.
I don't know if Sakic or Yzerman could have fixed the issues.

But I sure know Hexy can't (and Hexy was 2x better as flyers gm as Flusher)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seemed like a solid middle 6 guy in Nashville but hasn't translated in Pittsburgh.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Ah yes, the Mike Sullivan effect.

Sadly his only chance at top-6 minutes is if his old buddy Zucker walks this summer at UFA or Guentzel is traded or something.

A lot of people on the Pens board will blame Sully, and they are mostly right, but the fact still remains 1) he should have never been acquired and 2) 22 point pace is pretty f***ing bad man, even if you are getting grinding 3C minutes.
I don't think it's the Sullivan effect with him. Granny had the same rough start over there in Nashville as well. Sadly, I think he's become a player you need to put in the best possible spot to succeed. Offensively not much was working until they did that in Nashville, and even then it wasn't that great.

You used to expect something to happen when he got the puck, so you'd live with the physical limitations especially since his work ethic has never been in question. If that first part deteriorates, it's like the game just becomes a scramble for survival. So to make him useful you have to put him in the best possible spot for that skill part to become alive, but then it becomes a matter of do other players fill those spots better, and what the chemistry is like.

I think it takes some time to find that out, first he'd need to find the confidence to make the plays, and then others get used to him being able to make those plays. But the Pens haven't had much time to figure that out and there's not much patience at this time of the year. You don't really earn the coaches trust for top lines if the impact isn't immediate.

In other words I think he just sucks as a TDL addition. He's got 12 points in 41 games post TDL with the Pens and Preds.

Reactions: mattihp and Zbynek

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
Granlund being the wrong sort of player used in completely the wrong role is the Pens issue. Not Granlund himself.
He played in every role under the sun for Nashville. For years he was acceptable at most of them. This year he fell off a cliff. It's not a usage issue.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Its very clear he is snakebitten, has the yips, something is going on with him. He doesnt look like a credible bottom six player at all right now. And is constantly flubbing the puck, making piss poor decisions, deferring to the point of absurdity. I mean, look at this (from an article on SB nation)

100%. He's just the worst deadline pickup I can remember the Penguins getting since Brassard. Except Brassard actually made sense and was bust, since he was at the time one of the best depth Cs out there, and just fell off a cliff after the trade. Granlund never really made sense for that role, at that cap number, any of it.

When I think about the fact that Hextall cleared McGinn and Kapanen for basically nothing, and then turned around and wasted ALL of the cap space on this dud for 2 more years, its maddening. It was high risk, low reward all the way. A 2nd rounder, no retention, for a vanilla player who is the opposite of what the pens needed (not a finisher, not a physical player, kind of useless w bottom six minutes, a playmaker for lines where there are zero finishers, about as vanilla as it gets). Hextall already needed to go, but that was the final nail in his coffin. In fact, getting Hextall fired might be Granlund's best contribution to the Pens.

I know its just fans talking and not the actual real world, but when I think that Vancouver fans on here were okay with a 2nd rounder+ for Brock Boeser who was younger, better, and signed for the same amount of time at about a million more, I get even angrier.

He is on the second unit. Which is usually him, Carter, Zucker, Rust, Petry. And Carter and Rust have both been varying levels of putrid, so not much help there.

This is the thing that just made the whole trade so extremely bizarre to me.

Like Granlund isn't an entirely worthless player, but he so very clearly needs to be in a very specific situation to thrive. There was absolutely no reason to think he'd be able to fill that role with the Penguins. He was the absolute last thing they needed.

Hextall cleared out guys like Kapanen who can be effective and productive in a Bottom-6 Role...along with McGinn who was maybe a little bit more fair, in wondering if he's aging out of his functional years as a bottom-6 grinder. To bring in a guy in Granlund who absolutely cannot thrive in that sort of role. He's not a bottom-6 player and as a Top-6 winger, the Pens already had a bunch of other options who are probably better. It's just a complete misreading of what the team needed. Now they're stuck with that big contract with term attached.

Boeser obviously has problems as a player, but at the very least...he would've bumped somebody like Rust out of the Top-6 and he's proven that he can be a very productive offensive player when he has the right supporting cast. He would've brought a dynamic goal-scoring ability to the table that Granlund obviously does not. Maybe not the "perfect" solution, but a much better one than Granlund.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Brutal trade when it was announced. Hextall has no business running a team, I don’t know why people in Pittsburgh thought otherwise.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Apr 9, 2009
USA
2 more years at $5M?
ooof

giphy.gif

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
One of the good things about Granlund is that his contract has zero trade or movement protection.

So a team that needs to add cap could bring him in and give him a premium position and increase his worth and then trade him anywhere.

• Haha
Reactions: Stealth JD

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
This guys going to turn it around and he’s going to make a lot of you guys eat crow
I think he will too. We've already seen in Nashville how he really seemed to get completed disoriented by a trade, and then gradually got himself readjusted. Although in his case, the coaching change that turned him into our #1 forward in perpetuity, adopted son of the coach, certainly helped. He won't get that kind of opportunity in Pittsburgh, but he's still too good a player to not bring himself back up to at least decency. It's definitely fun to wonder WTF is wrong with him for that adjustment period, however. We went through it too.

Reactions: Play

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
This guys going to turn it around and he’s going to make a lot of you guys eat crow
45% of his production since start of 19-20 season stems from being given large amounts of powerplay unit 1 time. He also averaged 19:10 of icetime per game in Nashville over that same span of time. 15:45 in Pittsburgh so far. Unless Pittsburgh is going to accommodate the powerplay unit 1 time and he learns to do more with less icetime, it is unlikely he ever turns it around.

gdsmack267

Sep 11, 2010
Rochester, NY
Hextall: What do you guys want for Grandlund?

Nashville: At full value for 2 more years? How about a 6th rounder?

Hextall: Best I can do is a 2nd rounder with no performance conditions attached.

Nashville: ........ Deal!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $5,220.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2