Confirmed Trade: [PIT/ANA] Dmitry Kulikov for 2024 3rd round pick and Brock McGinn

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012
Has he been RD or LD for the Ducks this season? THought he played mostly RD with Hedman at LD during the Cup run?

Kulikov has played both sides for the Ducks. Quite a bit of RD with Fowler. I think you have him mixed up with Shattenkirk though who won the Cup with Tampa.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Kulikov is a 3rd pairing guy on a good team. I would not give him Pettersson's minutes.
Hmm...does he make a lot of mistakes?
Who did he play with on the Ducks?

Pettersson is a "sell high" type of guy IMO.

That's a robbery by Hextall. I would have expected the Penguins to have to trade more than a 3rd to just get out of McGinn's deal. To get a solid depth defenseman as well? Amazing deal by Hextall.
Those words in the same sentence. I'm surprised the universe didn't explode!

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Brock, have a nice couple years at the beach...

Hearing some retention as well?

The Duck Knight

Henry, you're our only hope!
Feb 6, 2012

He mainly played top pair with Fowler. Ideally you'd have him on the 3rd pair with a good skating puck mover.

Sidgeni Malkby

Nov 19, 2008
NJ
Brock, have a nice couple years at the beach...

Hearing some retention as well?
As long as it's not us retaining on McGinn. McGill makes $500K more than Kulikov, so they may want to even that out.

Paying Ducks to retain on a UFA doesn't make sense, unless there is another move on the way.

*edit* I haven't followed the cap changes to a T with all the changes, so if we are above, then yeah.

Reactions: Ugene Magic

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McGinn is a decent player, but not on that type of contract - at least not for a team like the Pens. The Ducks can afford him and should make better use of him.

He is actually an upgrade to most of our bottom 6, so there’s that. Just felt we should have gotten a pick just to take the contract. Oh well.

We got Kulikov for nothing so guess it doesn’t sting as much lol

Reactions: BHD

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
He is actually an upgrade to most of our bottom 6, so there’s that. Just felt we should have gotten a pick just to take the contract. Oh well.

We got Kulikov for nothing so guess it doesn’t sting as much lol
McGinn could do well there. He can score if put in the right situation and plays responsibly in his own end (think of a better version of the current Silfverberg). He was just dead cap with the Pens though.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
McGinn could do well there. He can score if put in the right situation and plays responsibly in his own end (think of a better version of the current Silfverberg). He was just dead cap with the Pens though.

We need more defense from our forwards. If he can PK and be responsible while chipping in a little offense he would easily be an upgrade to most of our bottom 6. Is he physical?

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
We need more defense from our forwards. If he can PK and be responsible while chipping in a little offense he would easily be an upgrade to most of our bottom 6. Is he physical?
He can PK and play responsible. Not what I'd call a soft player, but not really physical either - he'll get to the front of the net, play in the corners etc, but isn't really laying big hits or anything.

Reactions: Leonardo87

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
McGinn is an NHL player, a veteran and a well liked teammate. Overpaid but can play on the Ducks and probably be flipped before his contract expires. Plus the 3rd rounder. Both teams get something.

Reactions: orby

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
So basically paying Anaheim a 3rd to dump McGinn's salary. Understandable to want to get that off the books for Pittsburgh...but i don't really understand any of what they've done around this deadline as a comprehensive strategy.

Leonardo87

Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think you could play McGinn in the top nine and get a ton out of him if you give him offensive minutes.

I’m actually fine with McGinn. He would upgrade any one named Comtois, Jones, Carrick, Megna, and Leason in our bottom 6. Contract is just not great, but seems like a decent player still. It also seems he is solid on defense, which is really needed.

I just felt we could have gotten a pick just for taking the contract, and then trade Kulikov separately. But it is what it is.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I’m actually fine with McGinn. He would upgrade any one named Comtois, Jones, Carrick, Megna, and Leason in our bottom 6. Contract is just not great, but seems like a decent player still. It also seems he is solid on defense, which is really needed.

I just felt we could have gotten a pick just for taking the contract, and then trade Kulikov separately. But it is what it is.

Yeah it’s a good deal for us. But McGinn is a solid piece IMO.

Reactions: Leonardo87

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
McGinn is like Brandon Tanev but only half as good. He is far from a useless player. He's a decent third/fourth line tweener making too much money for too many years. Anaheim will find a use for him.

Reactions: Giskard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad