Pillars of Eternity - The White March Expansion Pt. 1

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Managed to get a character created before going to work.
Wood Elf Cipher
Have no idea if I did a decent stat distribution, but figured I'd play initially to get a hang of mechanics and then maybe restart if I have to.
Ended up just capping intelligence (19 total), putting a bit more into dexterity (16) and might (12). Everything else is base level.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
30,718 people playing it on Steam right now.

great to see. the game looks pretty damn good, btw. i'll have to get it sometime.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Managed to get a character created before going to work.
Wood Elf Cipher
Have no idea if I did a decent stat distribution, but figured I'd play initially to get a hang of mechanics and then maybe restart if I have to.
Ended up just capping intelligence (19 total), putting a bit more into dexterity (16) and might (12). Everything else is base level.

I went heavier on constitution and might for my Cipher since they need to fight to gain focus and Ciphers can be pretty frail.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I went heavier on constitution and might for my Cipher since they need to fight to gain focus and Ciphers can be pretty frail.

Do they need to be in melee range?
I didn't read too closely how that all worked.

Was thinking of taking advantage of the wood elf bonus of having the bonuses when at range.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Do they need to be in melee range?
I didn't read too closely how that all worked.

Was thinking of taking advantage of the wood elf bonus of having the bonuses when at range.

Pretty sure you can operate at range. I went melee because every time I've ever played a ranged character as my main in an RPG I get bored :laugh:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Pretty sure you can operate at range. I went melee because every time I've ever played a ranged character as my main in an RPG I get bored :laugh:

:laugh:
For me it depends on the game

Anything D&D based I always seem to want to be a ranger/rogue type (dual wield, stealth options).

When it comes to the other RPGs (usually first person or a limited fov over the shoulder), I end up being ranged a lot of times.

For party based/iso rpgs, I tend to build the party as a 'character' and so go with a bunch of combinations that seem cool to me without any particular attachment.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So I MIGHT be addicted to this game. Looked at the time and have been playing for 3 hours. I thought just an hour passed!

This is honestly...truely... a VERY good game. The story reads like a fantasy novel. Fantastic.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is the game that saved Obsidian, so I automatically love it. Other studios deserve to die before they do.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This is the game that saved Obsidian, so I automatically love it. Other studios deserve to die before they do.

Well that and all their loot from that Russian company who paid them lots of money make a World of Tanks clone.

http://aw.my.com/us

I suspect Pillars will be more successful relative to its cost but the Armored Warfare has kept a lot of their staff employed.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Put in a couple hours last night. Got to the first village.
Loving it so far.

Fiancee gave me hell for coming to bed so late :laugh:

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Played it for about 3-4 hours now. And it's amazing.

I'm glad the reception has been so good, from the fans to the press.

Ser Jorah Mormont

Lord Friendzone
Sep 3, 2013
Down Under
I was wondering why they made that. Not a great game but hey, food is food.

Step 1: Play World of Tanks

Congratulations, you've played Obsidian's game.

Ive played WoT for 2 years, lets just say I'm more excited for AW then I ever was for WT Ground Forces.

Frankie Spankie

Feb 22, 2009
Dorchester, MA
I only played for a bit last night (got caught up with the game alt-tabbed so it looks like I got a lot farther than I did.) I only cleared the first two areas and immediately saved it to go to the bed right after. That being said, the little that I played so far, I am absolutely loving so far. I look forward to getting home from work to play this game for hours tonight. The musical score is already amazing.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
I have lot of problems with the game, but combat is main one. I just dont like the fatigue thing they have going on, it really takes away from the feel of the game. Its really confusing and is awful at giving visual feedback to the player. Combat was the weakest link in wasteland 2 also, but its better than this one has. Its still fun, but not what it could have been.

But amazing game overall.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I have lot of problems with the game, but combat is main one. I just dont like the fatigue thing they have going on, it really takes away from the feel of the game. Its really confusing and is awful at giving visual feedback to the player. Combat was the weakest link in wasteland 2 also, but its better than this one has. Its still fun, but not what it could have been.

But amazing game overall.

The funny thing about the stamina/HP system, as opposed to the plain HP systems of the past is the way in Pillars was supposed to prevent rest scumming. But I don't think it makes one bit of difference really in the amount I use resting. If anything it leads to extra reloading if you have a low HP character that goes down in combat. That low HP character still has full endurance so if you go into combat and run out of endurance you'll likely die. So instead of going back to "rest scum" you now "save scum" and reload if that particular character dies. Plus so many wizard, priest, and special abilities are per-rest that it still keeps that same pace.

Far as the visual feedback goes, what settings are you using? Because you can tweak that. If you set it to "show numbers" it works better.

I'm actually enjoying the combat more than I expected too though. I like the weapon variety and how classes aren't pigeonholed into specific weapons like AD&D. The Friend/Foe/All AOE concept is awesome. Also like having more active abilities per class so that when I'm pausing all the damn time I at least get to make interesting choices as opposed to simply picking a different enemy to attack. The one caveat to that is when you are stuck in engagement
I don't necessarily mind the engagement system but the counter attacks on disengaging are brutal on Hard. To the point that it isn't worth it most of the time.

I'm actually liking combat more than I remember Infinity Engine combat. But It's been awhile so I might have to give one of them a run after Pillars to refresh my memory. Never been a great fan of Real time W/Pause RPG combat but I'm finding Pillars better than the rest so far.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
There is a patch that is supposed to be released to fix a few bugs this week. One is the inventory equipment bug where if you change equipment by double clicking the item in the inventory, you lose all buffs.

I am about 5 hours in of playing.. I am still at the first town. Doing every quest I can. I think I can "beat" the 60 hour mark haha ;).

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I'm going to create a barbarian and name him Adam, Prince of Eternia. I mean Eternity.

I have the power!

Last edited:

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So running into some trouble in this game. Only been playing for a few hours but noticed I have been getting dominated in fights. I am only at the part where I need to enter the keep to find Maerwald. I get dominated by the ghosts there. I try doing the temple instead.. I get to the 2nd floor and again dominated by ghosts. I go to kill the baron and he has two guards that easily kill me.

Im a ranger and I have the mage, a bear, and the gunnee guy. I know I dont have the best party but Im getting destroyed. Any advice? I hate to start over when I put some good hours into this already.

I know I can change the difficulty but I am only playing on medium...

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
So running into some trouble in this game. Only been playing for a few hours but noticed I have been getting dominated in fights. I am only at the part where I need to enter the keep to find Maerwald. I get dominated by the ghosts there. I try doing the temple instead.. I get to the 2nd floor and again dominated by ghosts. I go to kill the baron and he has two guards that easily kill me.

Im a ranger and I have the mage, a bear, and the gunnee guy. I know I dont have the best party but Im getting destroyed. Any advice? I hate to start over when I put some good hours into this already.

You can hire help from taverns. I run 2 priest, 2 paladins and 2 random npc:s which i cycle depending on the quests.

Problem i have is that the NPC characters suck balls compared to selfmade characters, i tried subsituting the black chick paladin with my own, but he is beyond useless comparatively.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

The first place I would look is what level are you? If you are level 4 the keep should be possible but a 5 man party would be much better then 4 for the parts with shadows.

Do you have the engagement system down or are you needlessly taking lots of disengagement attacks? This is the single biggest difference between Pillars and IE games combat wise so it's critical to have an understanding of it.

IMO the temple is easier then the keep since it has lots of choke points. There is one pretty hard optional fight in the south west corner with a loot reward you can avoid on level 2.

Don't horde money, spend it. Enchant your gear to fine quality.

If you hire an adventurer I think the best you can do before the keep is a level 2 for 500 copper. So my suggestion on that front would be to hire one with high constitution and use it as a meatshield since it's so underleveled. Level has a huge impact on accuracy in Pillars(a mechanic I hate btw) so if you are under leveled doing damage is a real problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad