Pillars of Eternity - The White March Expansion Pt. 1

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I decided to check the game out again on the weekend now that the 2nd DLC is out. I don't think I've come near the new content yet but I'm really enjoying the game. Thought I didn't have the patience for this type thing anymore, glad that it's proving me wrong.

All-Star

Jul 14, 2003
Snake Mountain
Visit site
I'm currently playing Pillars on PS4. Anyone know how I can travel to the White March from the regular map? I've unlocked every map location, and none of them give me a yellow line to the White March location in the upper right of the map. I have the quest, and I see it on the map, but I can't find the stupid yellow line that'll get me there.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Pillars 2 is out in a couple of weeks. Anyone else excited? I can't wait for it. I am playing through a game with the White March for the first time (just finished White March + Act 2) and the White March adds so much to the game as well as the patch updates have REALLY improved the gameplay for me from last time I played it just after the first release. Really excited for 2 right now, not sure if I'll be able to finish my playthrough in the first one first though haha.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Never bothered with White March, mid-game expansions don't really do it for me. All expansions should be post-game.

Pillars 2 mostly needs to fix the plot completely dying out at various points in the game. They literally lost the plot for 10-15 hours periods in Pillars 1. Fix that and it will be better.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Pillars 2 mostly needs to fix the plot completely dying out at various points in the game. They literally lost the plot for 10-15 hours periods in Pillars 1. Fix that and it will be better.

Yeah I've taken to calling that quest fatigue. When you get to the big multi-sectioned city and in the first area you get a couple quests that sends you to other parts of the city, so when you go to those parts to do the quest you find even more quests that send you to other areas, and next thing you know you have a dozen+ tasks you've been asked to complete that don't really have anything to do with the main plot line.

When the game launched as a kickstarter backer I got into that point and last interest. Last year I felt like playing again so started a new game, and felt it went much smoother where knowing what was there and what to expect I complete each quest immediately upon receiving it.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Yeah I've taken to calling that quest fatigue. When you get to the big multi-sectioned city and in the first area you get a couple quests that sends you to other parts of the city, so when you go to those parts to do the quest you find even more quests that send you to other areas, and next thing you know you have a dozen+ tasks you've been asked to complete that don't really have anything to do with the main plot line.

When the game launched as a kickstarter backer I got into that point and last interest. Last year I felt like playing again so started a new game, and felt it went much smoother where knowing what was there and what to expect I complete each quest immediately upon receiving it.

Agreed with all of that. I stopped a couple of times on Defiance Bay as that happened. Then when I went back to the game 6 months later, I was so confused with the number of quests and what to do that I was forced to restart. I am not big into micromanaging combat either, so with the more recent patches the combat being streamlined and more AI help (I play on Easy) it made the game much smoother for me. This last playthrough goes so much smoother and really enjoying the game in it's final composition. It was good not great on release, IMO.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
My problem wasn't Defiance bay itself (though the ending was.....bad) it was the time right after it. Though the cities quests did need more direct relation to the main quest. But just when you complete all that it's back to the woods with you. Almost quit at that point.

I blame a lot of it on how they decided to handle the backer beta/vertical slice town between Defiance Bay and the Druid joint. That area would have been cut or scaled down in a bigger budget game. But because it was done already it was going to be used.

Then when you know the game is close to ending they dump a 2nd somewhat big city on you with a bunch of stupid Druid lore dumps you mostly don't care about but have to blast through to finish the game.

I pretty well loved the game through Defiance Bay. After that it falls apart.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
My problem wasn't Defiance bay itself (though the ending was.....bad) it was the time right after it. Though the cities quests did need more direct relation to the main quest. But just when you complete all that it's back to the woods with you. Almost quit at that point.

It's not really a criticism of the game but rather a matter of personal preference. Lots of RPG's bog you down with loads of side quests, so for most people I'm assuming it's not a problem but for me it can drag the experience down.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's not really a criticism of the game but rather a matter of personal preference. Lots of RPG's bog you down with loads of side quests, so for most people I'm assuming it's not a problem but for me it can drag the experience down.

We're basically opposites, because I'm basically looking forward to that happening every time I start to play one.

But it is funny that we had similar criticisms of the game yet from different angles :laugh:

But one thing about the quests in Defiance Bay particularly is I found a lot of them shallow, especially in the first 3 sections. So while you might have a giant list of stuff to do, a lot of it was pretty short. Of course you mostly wouldn't know that just from looking at the log.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Oh yeah, and another thing that bugged me with Defiance Bay is how on your first run through it could easily lock you into a faction without you realizing it. Just go around accepting the quests in the first area and by the time you get to Lady Webb and she tells you to align yourself with someone you're probably locked into the mercenary group if you simply accept a certain quest from them, never mind if you complete it or not, the other guys won't go any further with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->