Pillars of Eternity - The White March Expansion Pt. 1

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I've been in Backer Beta since it started in August 2014.
The game was a mess back then.

Fortunately, the devs have worked their ***** off (my impression), they've listened to a vast majority of the community suggestions, and based on the state of the game in Backer Beta now...

I think we're in for a treat.

I'll be splitting time between PoE and Bloodborne. :yo:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I look forward to giving the game a go from the start as opposed to the beta which started at level 4. That's mainly why I have reserved a lot of judgement with my impressions on the beta.

It does seem like Obsidian have delivered more of what they promised than any of the other major kickstarters. From the packaging and updates to the game itself. Especially love the different toggles for settings. So many choices of how to tweak gameplay.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
I think (and I hope) it'll be very similar to Divinity:OS in how it was a mess at some point in the alpha/beta, but then turned out to be a wonderful game.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I think (and I hope) it'll be very similar to Divinity:OS in how it was a mess at some point in the alpha/beta, but then turned out to be a wonderful game.

Speaking of Divinity, how does this game play compared to Original Sin?

It's a real-time-with-pause system instead of a turn based, IIRC?

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Speaking of Divinity, how does this game play compared to Original Sin?

It's a real-time-with-pause system instead of a turn based, IIRC?

It's RTWP (real time with pause).

It doesn't use turns in the sense D:OS does, it's theoretically much faster (well in practice too) but for harder modes and harder encounters you have to micromanage a LOT - fighters and rogues have stuff to click unlike the old Infinity Engine games.

To be honest, in backer beta, you start at level 4, a bit undergeared, and I found the combat really hard - so much so that I switch to Easy when testing classes.

In short though, if you liked the old IE games (Baldur's Gate, IWD, Planescape Torment), you'll probably love PoE.
It's got a lot of depth, possibility to role-play, deep and complex character development, pretty good artstyle and graphics.

I've been so hyped about Bloodborne, but this might just end up the highlight of the year for me.
Well, there's Witcher 3 too... Good year for RPGs. :handclap:

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
It's RTWP (real time with pause).

It doesn't use turns in the sense D:OS does, it's theoretically much faster (well in practice too) but for harder modes and harder encounters you have to micromanage a LOT - fighters and rogues have stuff to click unlike the old Infinity Engine games.

To be honest, in backer beta, you start at level 4, a bit undergeared, and I found the combat really hard - so much so that I switch to Easy when testing classes.

In short though, if you liked the old IE games (Baldur's Gate, IWD, Planescape Torment), you'll probably love PoE.
It's got a lot of depth, possibility to role-play, deep and complex character development, pretty good artstyle and graphics.

I've been so hyped about Bloodborne, but this might just end up the highlight of the year for me.
Well, there's Witcher 3 too... Good year for RPGs. :handclap:

Sounds interesting. Thanks for the overview.

Part of me really wants to play this game, and part of me is telling the other part of me to shut up because I have too many unplayed games already and need to play the Witcher II before Wild Hunt comes out. :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Another way I'd differentiate the two games besides Corto's good description is that Pillars is a lot more scripted.

Most things you do in D:OS feel systemic. You can use the games systems to solve quests on your own and not when initiated by the game. You can pickpocket, trade with, and even kill any NPC.

Pillars uses text adventure elements during scripted events(and Dialog) for solving a lot of quests. So in a sense D:OS is more of an open game while having less branching at the same time. Because it's systemic the options are more limited due to time and budget constraints. But figuring the options out gives another aspect of gameplay that Pillars doesn't have as much of. But in Pillars your character choices matter a lot more because those scripted events have options more tied directly to your character. Where as in D:OS you rarely actually solve problems through character skills directly.

Divinity is about finding what to do and having some choices in how to do it. Pillars is about choosing what to do and having a lot of choices in how to do it.

To be honest, in backer beta,...... a bit undergeared,

I think this has a lot to do with the difficulty of the beta. I never really felt like I had any gear choices or ways to tailor my builds at all in the early going. If you play a class that's weaker in engagement you can get murdered easily.

parabola

BOlieve dat
Jul 8, 2004
ಠ_ಠ
Looks solid. I'm looking forward to Torment more than this but I'm glad both exist. The fact there is more than one studio continuing the awesome work Black Isle did is a good thing.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Watching some gameplay videos, the game looks pretty and well put together, but the combat looks like it's pretty slow. Seems to take forever to kill enemies from what I've seen. :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Watching some gameplay videos, the game looks pretty and well put together, but the combat looks like it's pretty slow. Seems to take forever to kill enemies from what I've seen. :laugh:

Absolutely. I wish it were more lethal all the way around and had either more damage output or less endurance/HP.

Combat is slow primarily because on higher difficulties you need to pause a lot. But combat is near the bottom of reasons I'm interested in this game anyway. Never was a huge fan of Infinity engine combat. Much more interested in the cities, quests, exploration, and character systems.

EDIT: haha this whole time I thought it was unlocking at 9PM tomorrow. 9AM (pacific) is the unlock time.

Last edited:

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Absolutely. I wish it were more lethal all the way around and had either more damage output or less endurance/HP.

Combat is slow primarily because on higher difficulties you need to pause a lot. But combat is near the bottom of reasons I'm interested in this game anyway. Never was a huge fan of Infinity engine combat. Much more interested in the cities, quests, exploration, and character systems.

EDIT: haha this whole time I thought it was unlocking at 9PM tomorrow. 9AM (pacific) is the unlock time.

Damn. Just in time for me to go to work :rant:
Where are the midnight unlocks!

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So, what are you guys gonna roll?

I'm probably gonna go melee backstabby rogue, I think there isn't an NPC available anyway.
(you can always create your own mercenary if you need a rogue though)

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Hoping to get started in a few minutes... I haven't actually thought about what I'm going to start with, just going to get a feel for it in game.

Probably whatever the closest to a front line fighter / support magic hybrid is. That's my typical choice for a primary character.
That or a rogue of some sort.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
It's unpacking now... just going to take a while to do that :|
Looks like I'm going to have to go into work before it's ready to play, boooo

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Its getting killer reviews so far. Many different ideas on how long it takes to beat the game. Anyone have an idea here?

Also if your a VIP member at GreenManGaming (I am assuming that means you have an account), you can get the base game for $33.74

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Its getting killer reviews so far. Many different ideas on how long it takes to beat the game. Anyone have an idea here?

Also if your a VIP member at GreenManGaming (I am assuming that means you have an account), you can get the base game for $33.74

The number thrown around on the Obsidian forums is 20ish hours for the "critical path" and 60 if you do EVERYTHING.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad