Speculation: Pietrangelo Discussion: Should we move on if he refuses an offer in the range of 8x$8.25m?

Should Pietrangelo be let go if he refuses an offer in the 8.25X8 range?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
It still pales in comparison to a 95 degree day in the midwest with 100% humidity.

went on a golf trip to Phoenix in July 2000 or 2001
we played three really good courses 3 days in a row very early in the morning, weather was great
but the first day we got to the hotel in the early afternoon and decided to play a pretty nice hotel course
it was 117 degrees or something stupid like that and in the shade it wasn't that bad, but as soon as you were in the sun it was like being cooked on a skillet

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I just feel like a willingness to amplify what Brooks is saying, basically giving it oxygen rather than letting it go, could be a reflection that they have heard something similar from other sources that don't want to go on record. I'm not suggesting that there is anything to it, it just seems odd that other media members (I've heard it come up on SiriusXM NHL Radio, others have mentioned in coming up on TSN/Sportsnet) would be willing to talk about it if they thought there was nothing to it.

i would say a good agent better know the score before taking his top client on this joy ride
it is only tampering if you get caught

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
we played three really good courses 3 days in a row very early in the morning, weather was great
but the first day we got to the hotel in the early afternoon and decided to play a pretty nice hotel course
it was 117 degrees or something stupid like that and in the shade it wasn't that bad, but as soon as you were in the sun it was like being cooked on a skillet
That’s in the summer though and during a normal hockey season, a lot of players might not even be there in the summer.

During the usual hockey months of October - April or whatever, the weather in Arizona/Nevada is absolutely perfect.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Did the same thing here. I've had 3 friends now collapse from heat stroke and exhaustion in the last 2 years. One had to be removed by an ambulance from the green.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
Did the same thing here. I've had 3 friends now collapse from heat stroke and exhaustion in the last 2 years. One had to be removed by an ambulance from the green.

the hotel course strongly encouraged us to drink lots of water and not to drink alcoholic beverages until after we were done
I had heat stoke playing soccer when I was young and it sucked
hopefully your buddies were ok
it was a couple of years until I could tolerate the heat

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
They are fine now. We didn't drink any alcohol. The problem isn't the temperature. The problem is the humidity just holds your heat to your body. It's kind of like the relationship between volts and amperage. Extremely high voltage won't kill you, but raising the amperage by 0.5 can.

Mar 6, 2012
Isn't tampering common place? I mean, how else can these free agents sign minutes after free agency begins? Clearly someone was talking to someone.

Are teams allowed to talk to agents? What if some random person called Petro's agent and was like, hey, you know, if the Blues aren't offering you 11 million for 7 years, maybe you should wait... surely this happens with literally every free agent? Right?

Where is the line?

BlueKnight

Apr 19, 2015
Alberta, Canada
Petro is meeting with teams, it's done. His supposed "preference" to stay in St. Louis is hogwash. If contracts are similar and you want to stay somewhere, you stay somewhere. You don't go speed dating after you get proposed to.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
Petro is meeting with teams, it's done. His supposed "preference" to stay in St. Louis is hogwash. If contracts are similar and you want to stay somewhere, you stay somewhere. You don't go speed dating after you get proposed to.
The nhl had a courting period for free agents they removed it this year it was 5 days before free agency

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Or you don't take the first offer that's presented when there's a whole market to explore. When you're buying a car, do you buy the first one that you look at? You may have some you prefer over others but you would be dumb not to see what else is out there.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Vegas still has no cap space
The "summer cap" right now is $89,650,000 with the 10% overage allowance. They could offer up to $11.8M in new contracts by demoting Cody Glass (just under $11M without demoting him) and still not be over the summer cap. They would have a hard time getting cap compliant by the start of the regular season, but would have quite a bit of time to do so. It is going to be awkward, though, if they have to bring Fleury back for another season.

Reactions: blues80

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006

That's a terrible analogy. This is how negotiation works. He can prefer to stay in St. Louis and also try to use other teams' offers as leverage to get a better deal from the Blues. It might also bite him in the ass if those offers are worse than he expected.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
The "summer cap" right now is $89,650,000 with the 10% overage allowance. They could offer up to $11.8M in new contracts by demoting Cody Glass (just under $11M without demoting him) and still not be over the summer cap. They would have a hard time getting cap compliant by the start of the regular season, but would have quite a bit of time to do so. It is going to be awkward, though, if they have to bring Fleury back for another season.
Why would a cup competitive team put themselves in a position to have to shed a bunch of cap to every team in the league that knows they have to shed it?

Reactions: blues80

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
That's a terrible analogy. This is how negotiation works. He can prefer to stay in St. Louis and also try to use other teams' offers as leverage to get a better deal from the Blues. It might also bite him in the ass if those offers are worse than he expected.
His best option would have been 8 years. That's why the league allows it in an attempt to give the resigning team a leg up and the ability to mess with the numbers. If he was hell bent on staying in the Lou, I've no doubt he was offered enough to get it done. I think he's just seeing what's out there. He's a team captain on a cup winning team. In years past that would have meant overpayment. Maybe his agent thought it would be business as usual, maybe Petro said he wanted to go elsewhere, we'll know the details later.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Why would a cup competitive team put themselves in a position to have to shed a bunch of cap to every team in the league that knows they have to shed it?
Because if you get the best player in the free agent class you can afford to lose a couple of deals to get your cap right?

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
His best option would have been 8 years. That's why the league allows it in an attempt to give the resigning team a leg up and the ability to mess with the numbers. If he was hell bent on staying in the Lou, I've no doubt he was offered enough to get it done. I think he's just seeing what's out there. He's a team captain on a cup winning team. In years past that would have meant overpayment. Maybe his agent thought it would be business as usual, maybe Petro said he wanted to go elsewhere, we'll know the details later.

Right. Based on what we know now, the belief is that the structure of the contract is the sticking point. So, most money overall doesn't necessarily mean "best option" relative to his priorities. Either way, it's still entirely possible for him to prefer to stay in St. Louis and also listen to other offers - whether he's using those offers as leverage, truly considering them, or both, doesn't matter.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
It's obvious he wants more money or another location, or both.

DA gave him a good offer that didn't break the bank during the time of COVID unknowns. DA needs to think of the other guys on the team too. It's never just one guy.

So good luck, Alex.

Put the C on ROR, plug the hole, and let's see some of the young guns step up.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
It's obvious he wants more money or another location, or both.

DA gave him a good offer that didn't break the bank during the time of COVID unknowns. DA needs to think of the other guys on the team too. It's never just one guy.

So good luck, Alex.

Put the C on ROR, plug the hole, and let's see some of the young guns step up.

DA is also not bigger than the team.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We'll have to see when/if Petro goes, but DA has known for a while whether he wanted to stay or go. No one is going to come out and say they aren't staying, but you, as a manager, know where things are going once the demands are laid out. I'm sure he's looking at other avenues to get a cup competitive team ready as we speak. I think we'll know pretty soon what was going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad