Speculation: Pietrangelo Discussion: Should we move on if he refuses an offer in the range of 8x$8.25m?

Should Pietrangelo be let go if he refuses an offer in the 8.25X8 range?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
If we get 7 or 8 1st rounders I'll forget about the whole Stevens deal forever

the Blues got exactly what they deserved on the whole Stevens thing
Quinn and Sutter went around Caron when he was on his annual fishing trip to Canada where he was unreachable
He told them beforehand that Stevens would be who was awarded in exchange for Shanahan
when Stevens became a free agent Quinn also did actually tamper
and for those 7 #1's we actually got Stevens, then Shanahan, then Pronger... oh, and Brewer
losing Stevens did cost us the missing piece to have a real chance at a cup on the early to mid 90's teams

mike1320

That’s true, but Pietrangelo also played incredibly well throughout the playoffs. I just don’t think we have a suitable replacement for him nor is one readily available through free agency or trade that we know of. He leaves too big of a hole to fill IMO.
I never said that he didn't play well. I never said that he isn't an outstanding defenseman. I think I have a lot more faith in Stillman, Army, and Berube than the majority of you.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
We'll all find out once this is over. It could be the case that Petro wouldn't stay even with a 12×8 deal.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
It's been my opinion for a while that Petro is eyeing Vegas. Direct flights from st. Louis to Vegas so his wife can fly home and see the family when he's on road trips, lots of stuff to do, great weather (minus the taxes you pay in California). That may ultimately be why a deal wasn't done. Petro may have already made his mind up.
I am not sold on the weather being a boon. It’s a desert and all the dust there sucks.

I would much rather be in in California, so long as the area I live doesn’t catch fire.

joe galiba

Apr 16, 2020
I am not sold on the weather being a boon. It’s a desert and all the dust there sucks.

I would much rather be in in California, so long as the area I live doesn’t catch fire.

Isn't he going to be "old" at the end of his next contract?
Arizona is where all the old people go to live

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Maybe he prefers the highs of 90 during the day and lows of 30 at night of the midwest. My point was that both California and Nevada have better weather than st. Louis.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Maybe he prefers the highs of 90 during the day and lows of 30 at night of the midwest. My point was that both California and Nevada have better weather than st. Louis.
I disagree with Nevada having better weather conditions. That 104 degree average during its hottest month is in no way appealing to me.

Stlblue50

Apr 17, 2019
If you bring to League average those few games where we gave up 5-7 goals, that's telling a more accurate tale. I love when casuals look at stats and think that says all they need to know.
Right, if the stat nerds want to only talk stats then we’ll focus on his most important stat of a .940ish save % in games 5-7 of every series. That included 2 game 7’s and every series being tied 2-2 for the extremely important game 5.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
There was some mumbling end of last week and beginning of this week. Newport had just helped one of their clients with a new contract in Vegas and all of sudden, Vegas is now one of the preferred destinations - despite having no cap room.....

I don't think there is any physical proof, but I do remember reading that Blues were considering tampering charges (may not even be against Vegas, but maybe NJ?).
Newport represents Robin Lehner, who signed a 5 year contract with Vegas at the end of last week. The only thing I've seen since that contract was signed was "hearing the Blues are considering filing tampering charges..." with zero support about why. If it is based on rumblings that Newport just helped a client with a new contract in Vegas than it is laughable.

Vegas started being discussed as a potential destination weeks ago and our very own Jeremy Rutherford has been a big voice pushing that.

None of this even remotely approaches serious allegations of tampering. Anyone acting like they know Vegas broke the rules is purely speculating.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I think the tampering talk comes from people who are upset Petro might leave. There's no evidence of tampering that I've seen. It may be the case that Petro and his wife want a change of scenery. He's in a place where he can do that since his kids aren't school age yet. He may have considered staying for massive money, but you aren't getting that from DA; not should he post covid. There's still hope if he leaves. There's a good core of mid-late 20's guys here, and there would be money to make moves. There's also less of a chance of going through an 05-08 stretch of hockey. Again, I don't want him to leave, but the decision is his and he'll do what's best for him and his family. Let DA do what's best for the team.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Newport represents Robin Lehner, who signed a 5 year contract with Vegas at the end of last week. The only thing I've seen since that contract was signed was "hearing the Blues are considering filing tampering charges..." with zero support about why. If it is based on rumblings that Newport just helped a client with a new contract in Vegas than it is laughable.

Vegas started being discussed as a potential destination weeks ago and our very own Jeremy Rutherford has been a big voice pushing that.

None of this even remotely approaches serious allegations of tampering. Anyone acting like they know Vegas broke the rules is purely speculating.
I guess the other side of the argument is to ask why any of these respected media people would risk their reputations "speculating" on this topic unless they had heard something more than just baseless rumors.

blues80

Dec 10, 2018
I think the tampering talk comes from people who are upset Petro might leave. There's no evidence of tampering that I've seen. It may be the case that Petro and his wife want a change of scenery. He's in a place where he can do that since his kids aren't school age yet. He may have considered staying for massive money, but you aren't getting that from DA; not should he post covid. There's still hope if he leaves. There's a good core of mid-late 20's guys here, and there would be money to make moves. There's also less of a chance of going through an 05-08 stretch of hockey. Again, I don't want him to leave, but the decision is his and he'll do what's best for him and his family. Let DA do what's best for the team.
There was an article in the ny post

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN

The only tampering rumors I’ve seen were regarding New Jersey and involved a Tweet that was deleted. But I think it wasn’t genuinely tampering, in the sense that they were just answering questions about players and the team itself isn’t pushing for Pietro. The only place I’ve seen mention Vegas for tampering is this board, and I don’t see any substance to it.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
A major media news outlet on the east coast with news about two teams in the midwest and west part of the country. I'll look it up later, but the day guys become free agents isn't the day you want to start holding on to hope from one single source.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I genuinely don't see how anyone can believe that Petro wasn't a gigantic contributor to the Cup run. The argument that we might have won the up without him is ludicrous.

He was 3rd on the team in scoring with 19 points in 26 games. He led the team in ice time, playing 38 seconds a game more than Parayko who was 2nd. He was also 3rd on the team in even strength scoring and provided 33% of all the points scored by our D men in the playoffs. And he did all of this without having a consistent D partner. While Parayko and Bo played 427 minutes together at 5 on 5, Petro didn't get 200 minutes with any single partner. He had 179 minutes with Eddy, 139 with Gunnar, and 108 with Dunn. He consistently excelled with whoever Berube put him out there with.

There is just no reasonable argument that Petro wasn't the Blues' best D man in the playoffs by a large margin. The Parayko-Bo pairing was fantastic and contributed a hell of a lot to the Cup win. Neither individually contributed anything close to as much as Petro did.

I believe that the window as a true contender closes without him. We're not all going to agree with that, but your argument that we're fine is just based in delusion if you can't recognize that Petro was crucial to the Cup win. We won the Cup by one of the slimest margins in the cap era, becoming just the 2nd team to lose 10 games on the way to a Cup. Acting like we could have plugged an average top 4 D man in to replace Petro's 60 point pace and strong defensive play is just absurd.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
With New Jersey, right?
Larry Brooks had an article saying...
There has been so much talk about St. Louis right defenseman Alex Pietrangelo, the premier free agent on the market, fleeing to Vegas when the market opens on Friday that I am hearing substantial talk the Blues might be prepared to file tampering charges if that’s the way it shakes out.
Nothing else. There is nothing that we know that would suggest that Vegas had been tampering, Brooks doesn't have strong connections to St. Louis... but it's a weird thing to be pulling from nowhere. Others in the media have since mentioned this in passing. JR said he'd heard about it, but didn't give an indication of whether it was he'd read the Brooks article or if he'd heard similar.

It's whether they're actually legitimately hearing that something out of the ordinary has happened, or whether it's just coming from this Larry Brooks piece that might be made up.

Either way, it's media driven and not fan driven. And nobody should expect anything to come of it, regardless of whether they are guilty or not.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I guess the other side of the argument is to ask why any of these respected media people would risk their reputations "speculating" on this topic unless they had heard something more than just baseless rumors.
Who exactly are these media people? Larry Brooks is the one who started the rumor with a single sentence at the end of a completely unrelated article. Everything since has been people saying that they have heard the rumors that the Blues are considering tampering charges, but offering no opinion or insight about whether there is merit to such a claim.

No respected journalists have gone on record suggesting that there is substance behind the rumor.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I genuinely don't see how anyone can believe that Petro wasn't a gigantic contributor to the Cup run. The argument that we might have won the up without him is ludicrous.

He was 3rd on the team in scoring with 19 points in 26 games. He led the team in ice time, playing 38 seconds a game more than Parayko who was 2nd. He was also 3rd on the team in even strength scoring and provided 33% of all the points scored by our D men in the playoffs. And he did all of this without having a consistent D partner. While Parayko and Bo played 427 minutes together at 5 on 5, Petro didn't get 200 minutes with any single partner. He had 179 minutes with Eddy, 139 with Gunnar, and 108 with Dunn. He consistently excelled with whoever Berube put him out there with.

There is just no reasonable argument that Petro wasn't the Blues' best D man in the playoffs by a large margin. The Parayko-Bo pairing was fantastic and contributed a hell of a lot to the Cup win. Neither individually contributed anything close to as much as Petro did.

I believe that the window as a true contender closes without him. We're not all going to agree with that, but your argument that we're fine is just based in delusion if you can't recognize that Petro was crucial to the Cup win. We won the Cup by one of the slimest margins in the cap era, becoming just the 2nd team to lose 10 games on the way to a Cup. Acting like we could have plugged an average top 4 D man in to replace Petro's 60 point pace and strong defensive play is just absurd.
I haven't seen a single person claim losing Petro isn't going to hurt the team. The question is what do we give up to keep him? We don't know what he's asking for. We don't know if he even wants to stay. I don't want him to leave, but I personally don't think the world is over if he does.

Reactions: mike1320

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014
Who exactly are these media people? Larry Brooks is the one who started the rumor with a single sentence at the end of a completely unrelated article. Everything since has been people saying that they have heard the rumors that the Blues are considering tampering charges, but offering no opinion or insight about whether there is merit to such a claim.

No respected journalists have gone on record suggesting that there is substance behind the rumor.
I just feel like a willingness to amplify what Brooks is saying, basically giving it oxygen rather than letting it go, could be a reflection that they have heard something similar from other sources that don't want to go on record. I'm not suggesting that there is anything to it, it just seems odd that other media members (I've heard it come up on SiriusXM NHL Radio, others have mentioned in coming up on TSN/Sportsnet) would be willing to talk about it if they thought there was nothing to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad