Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
As a Sabres fan, I think the best fits for us would be Roy or Pesce.

I’m not exactly sure (and I don’t think any of us really knows?) how their teams value those players, both going into walk years.

I do feel like Buffalo has pieces that both teams could use…

1) draft picks obviously. Buffalo has #13 and their ‘24 1st in addition to two 2nd’s (Philly’s is rather high)

2) roster players: they might not have a TON of value, but Olofsson potted 28G and Jokhiharju is a good bottom pair guy when he isn’t overplayed and overmatched. Luukonen is also a very cheap option in net with multiple yrs of team control remaining.

3) I mean they have prospects. And as much as we aren’t “sure” one thing we’ve heard Kevyn Adam’s speak to is how they view Savoie & Kulich. They won’t be dealt. I think he sees them as guaranteed replacements for Mittelstadt & Olofsson, but possibly players that could succeed/overtake Skinner & Peterka in the top-6 as well.

Ostlund is kind of the border player imo. But I think Rosèn and any forward ranked below him is absolutely available…

Lukas Rousek
Olivier Nadeau
Filip Cederqvist
Vsevolod Komarov
Alex Kisakov
Viktor Neuchev
Prokhor Poltapov

I believe the right pieces are here (even discounting #13OA) to add a defenseman to really cement this defense group for the next 2-4 seasons

Last edited:
Reactions: DickSmehlik

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Some Kings fans seem amenable to a 13 for Roy and a 2nd.........which is basically a trade down in order to get Roy.

I'm sure other fanbases out there might be amenable to something like that as well.
I wouldn’t touch that. Maybe a flip of 1stswith Roy thrown in.

his rental deadline value would be a late 1st/ 2nd and a prospect….pick 13 is much higher than that and a late 2nd does not even it out.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Just for clarity, this is a thread about the possibility of Buffalo trading a 1st round pick for defensive help, not receiving a first round pick for taking on a bad contract defenseman.
Instead you want to trade a pick at 13 for a short term UFA to be and then resign him for an overpaid contract…fletch lives…..

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
Good points. I think just about any GM would assume the contract is an overextension so maybe if it's the final piece for a cup run and you're drafting mid to late 20s, it could make sense knowing you can kick the can down the road. 13 is too high and however the value, 6.5M is too big to not send money back.
Lol 6.5 for parayko is amazing. His ntc kicks in next year not currently. The 13 pick is about right.

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
Wouldn't it be better asset management to sign a fringe top 4 UFA D on a short term contract to fill the gap? Personally I'd keep the 13th pick and address other needs. Not sure where Buffalo are in their rebuild process but I think they're pretty close to being in the playoff picture. Perhaps as early as next season.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Wouldn't it be better asset management to sign a fringe top 4 UFA D on a short term contract to fill the gap? Personally I'd keep the 13th pick and address other needs. Not sure where Buffalo are in their rebuild process but I think they're pretty close to being in the playoff picture. Perhaps as early as next season.

That would be preferable, as would using lesser draft picks ( like how 2 2nds have often gotten things done in the offseason in recent years). But that also means finding someone who is game to sign and also not breaking the bank to make it so.

Reactions: Drive425

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
That, or trade the 2024 1st round pick.
Also plenty of other assets as mentioned above. Lots of forward prospects (besides Kulich, Savoie and possibly Ostlund, who will all likely be off limits), but guys like Rosèn, Poltapov, etc should be available and we have (2) 2nd round picks this year as well. So Buffalo has plenty of ammo besides #13OA to go get someone.

Honestly the best fits are Pesce & Roy imo. Could see a UFA like Dumba being a fit if he’d go higher AAV in exchange for less term. Something like $6-$7m for 3-4yrs instead of a 6-7yrs

Reactions: Drive425

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Would like a 5 year fix at a certain price, which is why I'm wary of trading for players staring at UFA, or signing older vets like Mayfield. You can see the upside in Clifton and he is one the youngest UFA defensemen available. He's a great fit.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Lol 6.5 for parayko is amazing. His ntc kicks in next year not currently. The 13 pick is about right.
I bet he doesn't bring that back. I didn't say the dollar amount was the issue today but the combination of age/cap hit/NTC/contract length will be tough to move if you sleep on it. Now is the time to move him but a late first is your best hope and that's from a win now GM with no regrets. No non playoff GM should be handcuffing themselves in the future with that situation.

Certainly not amazing cap hit but fair. It's also about money. There's always ways to make cap room in the summer but more than likely you're taking money back. Probably useless money and if it is useful, any futures will be lessened. Generally that length of a contract is a positive but not when it's hooked to a (soon) 30 yr old.

The last 3 years of cash drop down to 4.8 which helps but who knows if he'll even be a 4.8 player at 34/35/36. And modified NTC the last 2 years as well which also is a plus. All that makes it a little easier to dump at the end but not valuable enough for a team looking to the future which the Sabres and other non playoff teams should be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Irie

BlueTacos

Jul 22, 2022
STL
I bet he doesn't bring that back. I didn't say the dollar amount was the issue today but the combination of age/cap hit/NTC/contract length will be tough to move if you sleep on it. Now is the time to move him but a late first is your best hope and that's from a win now GM with no regrets. No non playoff GM should be handcuffing themselves in the future with that situation.

Certainly not amazing cap hit but fair. It's also about money. There's always ways to make cap room in the summer but more than likely you're taking money back. Probably useless money and if it is useful, any futures will be lessened. Generally that length of a contract is a positive but not when it's hooked to a (soon) 30 yr old.

The last 3 years of cash drop down to 4.8 which helps but who knows if he'll even be a 4.8 player at 34/35/36. And modified NTC the last 2 years as well which also is a plus. All that makes it a little easier to dump at the end but not valuable enough for a team looking to the future which the Sabres and other non playoff teams should be.
You don't understand. He is top r reasonable pay will be steal in 3 years when cap goes up. Late first is all he can catch. Lmfao, you know how many teams would jump at taking him. A lot. If you think your getting a top pairing guy who plays 23 mins average toi for nothing then good luck with that. Parayko is a top pairing shut down dman with 30pts a year.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
You don't understand. He is top r reasonable pay will be steal in 3 years when cap goes up. Late first is all he can catch. Lmfao, you know how many teams would jump at taking him. A lot. If you think your getting a top pairing guy who plays 23 mins average toi for nothing then good luck with that. Parayko is a top pairing shut down dman with 30pts a year.

The valuation of Parayko now and in 3-7 years aside, Kevyn Adams has repeatedly stated that when looking for additions, it is important that "they fit the core age and are players that can grow with us. The targeted age is important. it does not make much sense for us to bring in players approaching 30."

Parayko with his age and contract is a player who matches the exact description that Kevyn Adams says in nearly every press conference that he is not interested in.

As far as the league wide value goes, I think if Parayko had three years left, there would be a GM out there who would be willing to move a late lottery first for him, and it might be fair value, but with him being signed until 2030, I do not believe any current GM will give up a mid 2023 1st for that contract - it is just too much cap commitment.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Who do you think is coming up to fill that hole long term? The Sabres have a good prospect pool, but it’s almost entirely forwards. We need to trade for or sign long-term help on the blue line.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I didn't say the Sabres would get a top pairing guy for nothing. You're clearly not addressing the long term issues I've brought up but it doesn't matter because frankly he probably won't be moved until the last year or two anyway. You don't ink that contract then move a guy that's healthy in the first off-season of an 8 year deal.

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
Carlo
Swayman

For

Savoie
UPL

Don't see how instant goalie controversy is helpful in the Sabres locker room. What kind of contract is Swayman signing with the Sabres with Levi around? It seems like you have to move on from one of them after 23/24 season...so what's the point of having them together for one season?

Sabres are committed to Levi long term. Period.

I think if Boston adds a 2nd, value is about right.

I don't love the following, but think it works for both teams.

Carlo
Reilly

for

13th overall
Jokiharju (half retained)

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Players on Servalli’s summer trade board who may fit:

Girard: 4 more years at $5 million at age 24 a very nice fit and he matches the Sabres play system. But he’s more of an upgrade on Jokiharju than a match to what the team really needs.

Parayko: ideal fit on the ice for the “now”, contract length and age not a perfect match.

Walker: a year left on an affordable contract, but probably not the upgrade the sabres are seeking and certainly not for pick 13.

Martinez: a year left on a deal the Sabres can afford and a good one-season fit on the ice. Not worth #13

Provorov: age and contract fit and that’s an intriguing skill set coming off a buy low stretch even if he’s not a perfect fit for what the Sabres need.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Connor Murphy perfect fit , not sure If Davidson will let him go , good leader for young team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad