Value of: Pick #13. BUF looking for top 4 RD

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Why not just sign Severson? 28, brings more of a veteran presence, and is a solid top 4 defenseman.
We're fairly sure that will be the goal this off-season. But sometimes you want to be more sure you're going to get your guy on a solid deal rather than have to overpay to sign him.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
Just for clarity, this is a thread about the possibility of Buffalo trading a 1st round pick for defensive help, not receiving a first round pick for taking on a bad contract defenseman.

I think that person is joking about a 1st for Risto. At $5.1 million for four more years, he has negative value. The test is whether you waive him and he clears. He would clear. Risto is essentially a third-pair guy worth maybe $2.5 M. He has value as muscle and toughness but his NHL game is subpar and we know it wasn't just a Buffalo issue.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think that person is joking about a 1st for Risto. At $5.1 million for four more years, he has negative value. The test is whether you waive him and he clears. He would clear. Risto is essentially a third-pair guy worth maybe $2.5 M. He has value as muscle and toughness but his NHL game is subpar and we know it wasn't just a Buffalo issue.

Yes, and I was joking that it would take turning the thread around to make it worth Buffalo's while.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
13th & 39th for DeMelo/Pionk & 19th
Seems like selling low on Pionk. What am I missing about him. He's still a top 4 D for Winnipeg right? Has he been poor defensively this year?

If I was Buff I would take that deal and run. Adding a top 4 D (right handed at that) and only moving down 6 spots plus a 2nd is cheap for these type of defensemen.

Kulich Man

Oh Jeah!!
Dec 7, 2022
Seems like selling low on Pionk. What am I missing about him. He's still a top 4 D for Winnipeg right? Has he been poor defensively this year?

If I was Buff I would take that deal and run. Adding a top 4 D (right handed at that) and only moving down 6 spots plus a 2nd is cheap for these type of defensemen.

A pick swap is my absolute ideal, I hope this may be a draft where there's enough talent toward the top to tempt teams to move up.

verbalkint47

Heroes and Villans
Aug 12, 2009
Emerald State
Kings will trade Matt Roy and Alex Iaffalo for your 2 2nds and Ryan Johnson.

Buffalo can keep 13th OV and draft BPA. They get their RH defense defenseman and a hard working complimentary winger who plays well with skilled centers.

Kings clear cap space to resign Gavrikov and Korpisalo and gain some draft capital. Roll out this D core:

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
Walker - Spence

* feel free to juggle Clarke, Durzi, Spence

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Buffalo can keep 13th OV and draft BPA. They get their RH defense defenseman and a hard working complimentary winger who plays well with skilled centers.

Kings clear cap space to resign Gavrikov and Korpisalo and gain some draft capital. Roll out this D core:

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
Walker - Spence

As a Sabres fan I'd do that deal.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
Walker - Spence

done

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
You will get garbage proposals…

to get 13OA it would be someone either on ELC or ELC just ended, or they finished year 1 of a 6+ yr contract signed after an ELC ended.

The player would have to be U25 and 4+ yrs of team control Who would be a 2/3 D. And actually shoots right, not just plays on right side.
What makes a deal on these terms tricky is that the player you describe is worth a hell of a lot more than a 13th overall pick. A player who has arrived, cracked a team's top 2/3, shoots right and plays RD, and who is also young, cost controlled, and talented enough to meet the criteria is incredibly valuable.

Top-15 picks are very valuable, until you try trading them for excellent young players with multiple years left before they reach UFA status.

The young NHL player who isn't a gamble, has already cracked the lineup and advanced to become a top-six F/top-four D/a starter is always worth more than the high pick (but outside the top 10), in that range that might not end up yielding an NHL player at all.

It would be cloudier if the pick was top four in a year like this, though of course Buffalo wouldn't be thinking of moving it. The 13th pick isn't going to cut it. It's in that mushy middle... valuable enough to be worth more than token offers of a vet plus a pick, but not so clearly going to yield a surefire star, and not for another 3-5 years, that it's worth giving up someone who is young and good right now.

Teams use their picks like this at the draft, picks they would certainly have considered available. They're hard to move for what you think they should be worth in trade.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
Walker - Spence

Sold

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Clarke
Bjornfot - Durzi
Walker - Spence

Done. No take backs.

Reactions: elchud and Reddawg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad