News Article: PHT: Sabres fans seem to be running out of patience

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Could he do any worse?

Jack Eichel reminds me of Joe Thornton in his Boston years. Thornton was not ready to be a captain in Boston and it weighed heavily on him. Jacobs ordered him traded early in the 2005-06 season and upon landing in San Jose won the Hart AND Ross that season.

and as I type this Jack scores in OT

Guess what, we are not trading him to Boston for a bunch of crap. The city of Boston has been spoiled rotten for the last decade. We are keeping him. We need some glimmer of hope:D

Reactions: Eichel9

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Guess what, we are not trading him to Boston for a bunch of crap. The city of Boston has been spoiled rotten for the last decade. We are keeping him. We need some glimmer of hope:D

Jeremy Jacobs would never accept his contract - he not coming here

Reactions: sabremike

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Yeah, I’d say running out of patience is an apt description.

Saturday, 1pm game, and tons of already paid for, expensive seats, empty in the lower 100’s.

That is sad.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Botterill would. He’d call up Boston with an offer of their 1st but it becomes a 2nd if the Bruins win the cup, Backes, Senyshen, and whatever other guy the Bs wanna get rid of the equal the salary.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Could he do any worse?

Jack Eichel reminds me of Joe Thornton in his Boston years. Thornton was not ready to be a captain in Boston and it weighed heavily on him. Jacobs ordered him traded early in the 2005-06 season and upon landing in San Jose won the Hart AND Ross that season.

and as I type this Jack scores in OT
The Bruins floundered until Charlie Jacobs was given control. The Blackhawks were a running joke until Rocky Wirtz took control. It's not a matter of hiring a coach or gm. It's a matter of the Pegula's giving up control.

member 311261

It's so darn ridiculous that everyone blames the Pegulas.

The problem is the team has drafted unbelievably bad for over a decade now. Yes, they hire the guys that do the drafting, but it's largely a crap shoot. If we'd have hit on 2 maybe 3 guys in the 2nd round or later we'd be talking playoffs right now. That's what the top teams do.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls

The problem is the team has drafted unbelievably bad for over a decade now. Yes, they hire the guys that do the drafting, but it's largely a crap shoot. If we'd have hit on 2 maybe 3 guys in the 2nd round or later we'd be talking playoffs right now. That's what the top teams do.
Brendan Lemieux 2nd rd, JT Compher 2nd rd, Linus Ullmark 6th rd, Cal Petersen 5th rd, Victor Olofsson 7th rd, Jake McCabe 2nd rd

Last edited:

dang111

Oct 20, 2017
I would’ve loved to keep Lemieux and was disappointed when we traded him but to be fair didn’t he say he wouldn’t sign here?

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I would’ve loved to keep Lemieux and was disappointed when we traded him but to be fair didn’t he say he wouldn’t sign here?

Similar problem with Petersen. Sure, we drafted him, but he refused to come here.
That's the shitty thing about rebuilding a team in a smaller market like Buffalo. The NYCs and Torontos of the league can expedite that process a ton by attracting big-time free agents simply by virtue of being where they are. If you're a Buffalo, even some of the kids you drafted won't sign.

member 311261

Brendan Lemieux 2nd rd, JT Compher 2nd rd, Linus Ullmark 6th rd, Cal Petersen 5th rd, Victor Olofsson 7th rd, Jake McCabe 2nd rd

Pretty miserable list. Only Olofsson moves the bar on any team.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

What now? JTC is a very versatile forward getting 15 min per game in all situations on a Cup contender. He's the type of guy every true Cup contender has. Lemieux might be a bottom 6er, but he brings some sandpaper to the lineup and can actually play.....something every team is looking for.

Petersen is the goalie of the future in LA most likely....if they can find someone to take Quick off their hands.

That really isn't a miserable list at all..........

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Drafting is not the problem (well it is under Botterill...), development is.

I'm not even sure drafting under Botts is an issue. Mitts' development was effed up. He drafted UPL (goalie of the future) and Laaksonen might still have a future. Davidsson and Pekar and Samulesson look like they're going to be something and it's too early to really say anything about the rest of 2018 or 2019.

Just because Botts hasn't taken who many thought he should take doesn't mean he's drafted poorly.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I'm not even sure drafting under Botts is an issue. Mitts' development was effed up. He drafted UPL (goalie of the future) and Laaksonen might still have a future. Davidsson and Pekar and Samulesson look like they're going to be something and it's too early to really say anything about the rest of 2018 or 2019.

Just because Botts hasn't taken who many thought he should take doesn't mean he's drafted poorly.
What is more worrisome - as alluded to - is that it seems no matter who does the scouting or drafting, the players don’t really pan out until they leave (if at all)

so while it’s great (and necessary) for the GM to discuss the importance of development and ensuring the minor ranks are in order, it’s not something you can fairly judge him on for another four years.

so you look at everything else...which is pretty horrible

Reactions: Zman5778

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

Drafting low ceiling defensemen in the early 30s not once but twice is poor drafting.

Reactions: sabremike

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Compher would be sixth on this team in points, with his 23 (fourth highest amongst the forwards). Maybe not an asset any other teams would clamber over each other to get, but it's sad that I see those 23 points as a loss for us.

I often use Florida as our measuring stick. They spent a long time out of the playoffs, and while they aren't currently in a spot they are at least still in the chase. Compher would be 10th in points for them.

member 311261

Compher would be sixth on this team in points, with his 23 (fourth highest amongst the forwards). Maybe not an asset any other teams would clamber over each other to get, but it's sad that I see those 23 points as a loss for us.

I often use Florida as our measuring stick. They spent a long time out of the playoffs, and while they aren't currently in a spot they are at least still in the chase. Compher would be 10th in points for them.

Compare our list to the top teams' lists. Also note the late 1st rounders on the top teams.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

If we would have hit on anyone in Darcy's tenure in the draft we would be alot better off for depth in Rochester and the NHL than we are currently.

All he had was Armia when he left.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Who has owned this team for almost that entire period? Who keeps hiring the neverending parade of incompetents who have done nothing but fail miserably? 9 full seasons as owner, zero playoff appearances. If you made a list of the least successful owners in NHL history the Pegulas would be very high on that list.

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Who has owned this team for almost that entire period? Who keeps hiring the neverending parade of incompetents who have done nothing but fail miserably? 9 full seasons as owner, zero playoff appearances. If you made a list of the least successful owners in NHL history the Pegulas would be very high on that list.

upload_2020-2-3_9-59-10.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Kim and Terry have either left in charge or hired the people responsible for the poor drafting. That’s how it is on the Pegulas.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
If we would have hit on anyone in Darcy's tenure in the draft we would be alot better off for depth in Rochester and the NHL than we are currently.

All he had was Armia when he left.
What?

Regier’s last 6 drafts weren’t great but he left us a lot more than just Armia.

2013 -> Risto, Zadorov, Compher
2012 -> Grigs, Girgs, McCabe, Ullmark
2011 -> Armia
2010 -> Pysyk
2009 -> Kassian, McNabb, Foligno
2008 -> Myers, Ennis

Kassian was traded for Hodgson by Regier. Murray moved out Zads, Compher, Armia, Pysyk, McNabb and Myers in various trades. Botts moved Ennis and Foligno.

If anything Regier’s biggest f*** up at the end was his approach to development more than drafting.

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad