News Article: PHT: Sabres fans seem to be running out of patience

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
He should've lynched the media guys for fellating Botterill after the O'Reilly trade.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
He should've lynched the media guys for ******ing Botterill after the O'Reilly trade.
ROR kind of insisted on a trade, didn’t he? ROR didn’t seem to like the way the young guys on the Sabres played, so wanted out. I think ROR was concerned the young skilled Sabres weren’t willing to play hard nosed hockey, and figured that was for other players only. That created the issue with ROR didn’t it? Changing GMs or coaches will not fix that problem. The culture in the room is off. The young leaders need to play hard, and lead the charge by showing they are first to do the hard things.

Drunkard

May 16, 2018
ROR kind of insisted on a trade, didn’t he? ROR didn’t seem to like the way the young guys on the Sabres played, so wanted out. I think ROR was concerned the young skilled Sabres weren’t willing to play hard nosed hockey, and figured that was for other players only. That created the issue with ROR didn’t it? Changing GMs or coaches will not fix that problem. The culture in the room is off. The young leaders need to play hard, and lead the charge by showing they are first to do the hard things.

Even if that was true, you don't have to bend to the will of a disgruntled player. See Matt Duchene who remained on the Avs for several seasons after he first requested a trade but the GM waited until he got a deal he liked. On the Sabres alone you also have Bogosian, Rodriguez, and even Ristolainen who wanted to be moved as well, but it hasn't happened to this point.

Also, if the argument for trading him is the culture nonsense that Botterill defenders cling to like a Bible then why would you bring in bums like Berglund and Sobotka? How did bringing in these 2 losers help the culture, especially when one of them was so unhappy that he chose to give up millions of dollars rather than play for this franchise?

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
This is honestly the lowest i have ever felt as a sabres fan. At least we had a goal during the tank years. Those were supposed to end 5 years ago. Now we are squandering one of our franchise's greatest players to the point where i can't see him wanting to stay with this team. If we lose eichel, all of those losing years and tanking will have been for nothing. we'll have lost 7 years.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
It's reaching the boiling point. The fans are miserable. The players aren't giving 100%. Some have requested trades. Pegula needs to make the move now before more damage is done, and I'm not even talking roster moves.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bills are good again, unfortunately a lot in Buffalo don’t care about the Sabres lol.

What's funny about all of this? If you look at Ralph Wilson's ownership of the Bills, with years and years of the most inept handling of players and fan experience (late 60's to the late 80's, then the late 90's until his death), it is remarkably similar to what Sabre fans are experiencing. Yet the difference is the Polian/Levy teams that left an indelible mark on many, which canonized the team in many ways.

And Wilson put me off the Bills in such a fashion that I willingly say I don't care about them. I don't. So for those of us out there who think the "oh, but the Bills are now good, be happy" salve is just cold comfort, I hear you. I am you. To hell with them, this is about the hockey team. Demand better.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
Does anyone know what is being referred to here:

"The rant, while epic, likely would have stayed local if someone from Pegula Sports and Entertainment — the parent of the Sabres and the Buffalo Bills — hadn’t berated WGR management, which led to a tweet promoting the audio being deleted".

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Does anyone know what is being referred to here:

"The rant, while epic, likely would have stayed local if someone from Pegula Sports and Entertainment — the parent of the Sabres and the Buffalo Bills — hadn’t berated WGR management, which led to a tweet promoting the audio being deleted".

WGR tweeted out the link to Duane's rant on their website.

Someone from PSE/the Sabres called someone at WGR, threw a temper tantrum, and got that tweet deleted from the official WGR 550 twitter feed.

That tweet that Duane referenced is the deleted tweet:

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
I wonder who the media savant was, who thought going full tyrant would be a wise strategy.

Whoever thought whining at Friedman was a great idea was responsible for this. Probably came from the top, no-one good at their job does this. No-one who knows anything about marketing deletes a tweet, you apologise or something similar, but never delete. That's asking for trouble.

If that is the case then we're dealing with the Pegula's wanting to control the narrative to make it seem like everyone's happy, or at least not pissed off. In which case the plan isn't to fix the problem, it's to pretend there isn't one. Which is great.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wonder who the media savant was, who thought going full tyrant would be a wise strategy.

They have shown those signs before, with the threat of taking away the media access away earlier in his ownership. Only this time the fans are on same side of the line as the media and we are in agreement it's dirty. Before it was "well, yeah, they are a bunch of hacks, so it's understandable. Have you seen their work".

ISeeStars

Jun 23, 2018
Iowa
In a league where more than half the teams make the playoffs every year, this team has managed to be so far from the #8 seed alone that its embarrassing. 9 straight years where hockey in Buffalo is completely irrelevant come December or if we are lucky, January.

In those nine years the team basically goes through a new coach every other year and their drafting after round 1 has been so ridiculously terrible that it is laughable.

Now players are asking for trades, fan attendance has been worse than ever, people are worried about Eichel's emotional state, and it seems the organization has no plan or direction. In fact the youth pipeline isnt looking all that great either.

Of course fans are fed up with it, there use to be a time where I was angry if I missed a single game and now I feel like I waste my day watching this garbage. No one wants to watch a team that has nothing to play for through 2/3 of the season.

Reactions: Luckylarry

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just heard the call in its entirety on WEEI in Boston

I feel bad for Jack ( if one can feel bad for a 23-year-old making 10 million a year ) as his body language says it all.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad