Phoenix CXXXIII: Colonel Shuffle's Last 'Ownership' Hill To Die On

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
If Barroway is looking for investors then maybe, just maybe, that hints at the idea that the NHL doesn't want to perpetually pay for this franchise's losses, as some have theorized, and Bettman has nudged him to find some other help?

And as far as...

"NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has repeatedly said that keeping the team in Arizona remains his focus and he still believes the team is working toward an arena solution."

He believes they are? He's not sure?

I quoted the whole statement above. Read all of it and it’s a whole different context.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
As I mentioned a couple of weeks ago. the investors are from Asia.

they would put up the money for a new arena. take it for what it is worth

Coyotes are not moving. Hockey is a growing sport ....

Reactions: cobra427

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Something is definitely going on.

Friedman commented on the article on Twitter. Local Fox station is supposed to have something on its broadcast any minute now.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Curious to see Gillett's name in there...and then out.

Sounds like someone else kicking the tires, sees the books and runs away.

Back to these Asian or other foreign investors. If they're going to put significant money towards an arena if not fully private. Why build in the Phoenix area when there are 2 competing arenas in the area. Even after the state or any other East Valley city saw no business case for it?

Last edited:

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Something is definitely going on.

Friedman commented on the article on Twitter. Local Fox station is supposed to have something on its broadcast any minute now.
Just went over to F40. Seems drizzle and an orphan dog are bigger news than the Coyote story..who would have thought.
Friedman...well he is like alot of reporters up here. Towing the company line. Any time we hear anything about the Yotes the story is always the arena is in the wrong place..too bad..better location and fairy tale ending,,,it is like Bettman is a ventriloquist:blah:

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Just went over to F40. Seems drizzle and an orphan dog are bigger news than the Coyote story..who would have thought.
Friedman...well he is like alot of reporters up here. Towing the company line. Any time we hear anything about the Yotes the story is always the arena is in the wrong place..too bad..better location and fairy tale ending,,,it is like Bettman is a ventriloquist:blah:

Actually you haven’t heard anything for a while. It’s only been regurgitated stuff here because some folks think it’s the cool thing to do that makes you think that. :nod:

The local Fox station isn’t the most watched in town for a reason. I wasn’t keeping my hopes up. Not the first time LaCava put out click bait.

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Actually you haven’t heard anything for a while. It’s only been regurgitated stuff here because some folks think it’s the cool thing to do that makes you think that. :nod:

The local Fox station isn’t the most watched in town for a reason. I wasn’t keeping my hopes up. Not the first time LaCava put out click bait.
Actually TSN1290 mentioned Arizona in passing about a month ago. They just blabbed something to the effect that the arena is in the wrong place and if the team is able to get a more central located arena then they will be ok. Bettman the ventriloquist
So the BIG story was the Coyote Morgan story????

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
You know there's a name for a investment system that require you to recruit more investors to support your own investment... I can't quite recall, some sort of reverse funnel system.

You know what THAT means!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
George Gillett? New one on me/us..... I remember a rumored group of local Phoenix area investors along with Steve Stotland & Jon Ledecky (former minority owner of the Washington Capitals) had a group called Camelback Mountain Hockey that were reputedly going to make a bid for the Coyotes in 2009.. and that Stotland was one of the groups that was looking to bid on the Habs in 2000 however Gillett as we know won that contest.....

Thats the only "Montreal" connection I'm aware of though Gillett is an American, resides in Vail Colorado. Has a track record of buying undervalued & distressed assets, turning them around... this situation however... not seeing it.... thats a bridge too far. He'd absolutely & quite shamelessly look to buy in cheap, flip job, sell for Relo. There was some concern about that in Montreal when he bought the Canadiens....

As I mentioned in the previous thread, I did hear a rumor last month that some "Mystery Billionaire" was looking at the Coyotes & the construction of a new arena, unverifiable but a fairly solid source who unfortunately I cant name, but the source telling me that he was himself somewhat skeptical that anything comes of it. Whomever this individual, was definitely checking into it, having conversations with team & league personnel. So efforts are being made, of that I'm certain.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
.... its 9;20pm pst.... so whats the 'significant boost"?....

Nothing.... LaCava threw out click bait. And as someone gleaned off F40 above..... they summarized the Morgan article.

I was at work so I couldn't tap into their live feed in the website and I doubt if they'll make a clip available. Their site really does suck.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I can’t think of a bigger disaster than this Arizona mess. Bettman is in love with the area and is determined to make it stay there. I would love to know how much money the NHL has lost in this fiasco. Must be millions. Big ass failure on his part.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Nothing.... LaCava threw out click bait. And as someone gleaned off F40 above..... they summarized the Morgan article.

I was at work so I couldn't tap into their live feed in the website and I doubt if they'll make a clip available. Their site really does suck.

Click bait is right. Checked again this morning, cant find anything "significant" at all. :dunno:

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
Exciting times for the Coyotes are coming. Once they can get this east valley location figured out

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Nice job with the thread start, synopsis of where things sit...... I think were well past the "Southern market stance" though. That is sooooo yesterday Man. "Sunbelt Experiment". No such thing ever existed. Not an "experiment". Just natural growth & I for one support it. The League wanted to expand & with domestic migration to California, the Southwest & Florida, teams Relocated (Minnesota & Winnipeg 01); Expansion to Tampa & Miami, Atlanta & Nashville, Anaheim.

Unfortunately, intransigent ownership & the League's braintrust have screwed up in numerous markets... shamefully lost the colors & ground in Atlanta.... Arizona hanging on by its fingernails.... Heres hoping that by the end of this thread at least some clarity & resolution is forthcoming because whats been going down aint working for anyone on all the levels that it should be. Engines just idling, coughing & spitting along on one cylinder. The fans, the market deserves better. A lot more than this.

I continue to hold the position that “Southern Strategy” was really “gain control of publicly funded new arenas” (and try to keep out the “competition”) and emerging southern markets kind of happened to be there at the time.

That Minnesota book posted on the Seattle thread kind of crystallizes that IMO. Gary Bettina apparently made a vow associated with the North Stars’ move that the NHL wouldn’t be caught with an inferior lease in any arena. Minimizing NBA conflicts is the best way to do that.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
The NHL echo chamber must not be working... ;)

google should be inserting "Sponsored Content" in stories like that so that people can avoid it or at least realize before they click what their getting.... about as solid as jezebel, buzzfeed & other ambush sites.... that article if not actually paid for by the Coyotes & or the NHL might just as well be.... I'm really quite disappointed Llama.... still havent gotten over Geraldo's failure to deliver on Al Capone's safe after all that hype; the beginning of the end of journalism as we once knew it really.... dont know how much more I can take of all this fake news.... state of reporting... absolutely pathetic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thrive

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I continue to hold the position that “Southern Strategy” was really “gain control of publicly funded new arenas” (and try to keep out the “competition”) and emerging southern markets kind of happened to be there at the time.

That Minnesota book posted on the Seattle thread kind of crystallizes that IMO. Gary Bettina apparently made a vow associated with the North Stars’ move that the NHL wouldn’t be caught with an inferior lease in any arena. Minimizing NBA conflicts is the best way to do that.

Not quite following you here PCS.... He was brand new to the post at the NHL, the wheels in motion with respect to the North Stars Relo so not a lot of control there on that one.... However when it came to the Jets 01 who were as you know initially destined to land in Minnesota but who in being wisely denied the subsidies they were demanding suddenly finding themselves homeless.... well, Gary Bettman to the rescue, directing Burke & Gluckstern to his old NBA Pal Jerry Colangelo in Phoenix... who had just recently opened the then called AWA.... deep in debt... a paying tenant in the form of an NHL franchise with 41+ dates owned by neophytes who he could pluck clean just the ticket....

I dont know how you would call that astute over-site. The Coyotes saddled with a no-win Lease in a building who's only positive was its downtown location. They were caught up "with an inferior lease". If Gary Bettman had being doing his J.O.B. & providing Burke & Gluckstern with the kind of support your suggesting, reviewing Colangelo's terms, helping to negotiate a fair & equitable agreement then he failed. Forget the "conflict".... he provided Colangelo with a coupla Rubes to fleece, kickstarting the mess of a situation that has subsequently unraveled over the past two plus decades.... "Minimizing NBA conflicts"? OK. Thing is, he has never actually done that & instead appears to be subservient to the NBA. Takes a backseat. Role of passenger. Helps them out. Defers to them when he should be kicking their asses. Seattle a classic example. A real NHL Commissioner would have taken the gloves off with Hansen years ago & gone public, telling people that that guy & his Sodo project, Hoop Dreams, an obstacle to the NHL.

Reactions: Thrive

Fairview

Jan 30, 2016
Maybe Borrowaway/NHL should be promoting this investment opportunity in a different way and to a different type of investor? They are looking for an investor, who wants new challenges. Someone, who perhaps, is tired of being rich and is looking to experience life from a different perspective. Maybe life as a homeless person or maybe to declare personal bankruptcy for the first time.
The team has a solid track record of over 20 years of multi-million dollar losses and many exciting ways to continue this consistent financial drain like.. constructing an arena in a market that does not need one and alienating the very fans that have supported you for over a decade by saying that it is their fault for building the arena in a poor location,the very place that they live. Future opportunity to lose even more money with salary cap/floor increases on the horizon and many expiring ELCs and future pending UFAs. Couple this with a fanbase that has repeatedly demonstrated that they will only support a winner.
For the right investor, maybe someone who wants to experience a rags to riches to rags life ,this is the ideal situation.
It only takes one "more money than brains" individual to make this happen.

Last edited:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Maybe Borrowaway/NHL should be promoting this investment opportunity in a different way and to a different type of investor? They are looking for an investor, who wants new challenges. Someone, who perhaps, is tired of being rich and is looking to experience life from a different perspective. Maybe life as a homeless person or maybe to declare personal bankruptcy for the first time.

..... :biglaugh: too much.... but sure... why not....

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
The thing about owning sports franchises is most owners aren't in it for the money. It is a status thing. Foley paid $500 million to purchase a toy basically. Making money, Not really his objective, he even said so. Most owners use their franchises as a loss leader actually to offset their profitable businesses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig