Phoenix CXXX: Sock it to ME

Status
Not open for further replies.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Yes, that's all in the past. There is a sole owner, and the only current question is where is the team going to play in a year.

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Yes, that's all in the past. There is a sole owner, and the only current question is where is the team going to play in a year.

No, the second question is will the owner, Mr. Barroway have the financial wherewithal to maintain a presence in Glendale or have the capital to build a new arena in the East Valley?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
As for that most important issue, looks as though the big buck seats went empty tonight.

Place looked relatively full to me based on the photo's & videos Ive seen mesa. Also had a fairly decent crowd for that "Red Carpet" event earlier today..... Games currently in OT so close, and hey, how about Vegas huh?..... Not too shabby..... Bottom-line.... its early days & we wont be turning this thread in an "attendance watch"..... Ok to be cognizant of it but c'mon, no ones gunna be making a meal of it here. Stick to the business issues, anything "dramatic" starts to break, rest assured we'll be on it..... meanwhile... Lets Go Coyotes! Love to see them do well on the ice this year.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Place looked relatively full to me based on the photo's & videos Ive seen mesa. Also had a fairly decent crowd for that "Red Carpet" event earlier today..... Games currently in OT so close, and hey, how about Vegas huh?..... Not too shabby..... Bottom-line.... its early days & we wont be turning this thread in an "attendance watch"..... Ok to be cognizant of it but c'mon, no ones gunna be making a meal of it here. Stick to the business issues, anything "dramatic" starts to break, rest assured we'll be on it..... meanwhile... Lets Go Coyotes! Love to see them do well on the ice this year.

Officially a sellout..... 17,125. Which is the usual number and makes me believe those upper corner seats weren't tarped off.

Reactions: Killion

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Officially a sellout..... 17,125. Which is the usual number and makes me believe those upper corner seats weren't tarped off.

Ya I didnt notice or didnt see any shots of the upper bowls 4 corners but 17K+ a very healthy crowd. Home Opener & new kids on the block visiting, pre-game festivities etc, changes behind the bench & in the lineup.... see you guys lost in OT but close game. Hopefully attendance maintains a decent level through the season.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Ya I didnt notice or didnt see any shots of the upper bowls 4 corners but 17K+ a very healthy crowd. Home Opener & new kids on the block visiting, pre-game festivities etc, changes behind the bench & in the lineup.... see you guys lost in OT but close game. Hopefully attendance maintains a decent level through the season.

Ummm...

Vegas Golden Knights beat writer for the Las Vegas Review-Journal

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Ummm...Vegas Golden Knights beat writer for the Las Vegas Review-Journal

Ya I did note a lot of empty's however not sure what motive the organization would have in claiming a sellout or "near sellout" if they didnt. Revenue Sharing thresholds pursuant to attendance are no longer in force so being honest would be to your advantage rather than disadvantage..... I dunno. Is it possible ticket speculators bought up chunks & took a bath on the secondary market? Pre-Game Hype. Season Opener. Las Vegas..... Regardless, we know whats goin on attendance wise, have for years, its all there in black & red. 40 games to go. We'll see.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The attendance figure is likely based on sold and distributed anyways which is pretty common. It comes down to how much people paid for them.

The team generally sells out their home opener every year which is on Saturday evenings. Game 2 is usually a better indicator on attendance anyways which applies to many teams so I wouldn't see it as a big deal right now.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Ya I did note a lot of empty's however not sure what motive the organization would have in claiming a sellout or "near sellout" if they didnt. Revenue Sharing thresholds pursuant to attendance are no longer in force so being honest would be to your advantage rather than disadvantage..... I dunno. Is it possible ticket speculators bought up chunks & took a bath on the secondary market? Pre-Game Hype. Season Opener. Las Vegas..... Regardless, we know whats goin on attendance wise, have for years, its all there in black & red. 40 games to go. We'll see.

Quite possible. There's a number of Yotes fans heading to Vegas' opener on Tuesday who were able to get seats for that one off the market.

There was also a large event at UoP last night (motocross or something). Heard the traffic was obscene in the area. Hit some of it on the way home from work. :madfire:

One game isn't a tell all. We'll have to see where it goes over the next couple of months.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
The attendance figure is likely based on sold and distributed anyways which is pretty common. It comes down to how much people paid for them.

The team generally sells out their home opener every year which is on Saturday evenings. Game 2 is usually a better indicator on attendance anyways which applies to many teams so I wouldn't see it as a big deal right now.

Response from the reporter...
10-07-17_-_Coyotes_Home_Opener.png

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Is it possible ticket speculators bought up chunks & took a bath on the secondary market? Pre-Game Hype. Season Opener. Las Vegas.....

Good point, Vegas being a new team and a home opener, that is usually filled to capacity - speculation may have run a bit amuck. However, in the end (while there were still some empty seats), most were filled - monster truck jam at UOP made for some late arrivals.

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ
Good point, Vegas being a new team and a home opener, that is usually filled to capacity - speculation may have run a bit amuck. However, in the end (while there were still some empty seats), most were filled - monster truck jam at UOP made for some late arrivals.

Based on the reporter's response that the four sections were tarped...that reduces the total available tickets by 1,256...so...the maximum capacity/attendance would 15,869...far short of the announced figure of 17,125...

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Response from the reporter...
10-07-17_-_Coyotes_Home_Opener.png
All that trouble and all I had to do is check with an STH I know who was at the game last night who told me they weren't.

But he also said they did move STHs who used to sit there to new locations so we may see them tarped for certain games.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Appears to be a he said...she said situation...

So...without photographic evidence...

I dunno Llama.... the STH I talked to is an HF member as well and you're relying upon a reporter probably making his first visit to GRA and wouldn't know much about it or took the time to even look. :laugh:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It wasn't a physical sellout, I'd wager. But all the tickets were likely sold. Given that the Diamondbacks were playing Los Angeles that night, I wasn't expecting SRO. It was a good crowd.

The shade from the Vegas reporter is interesting considering his franchise's position.

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Regardless... decent crowd. I dont see much point in getting too hungup about attendance guys. In the inimitable words of ultimate drive-bye artist Todd Bertuzzi... "It is what it is"... We know it'll be erratic & honestly, I really dont think anyone finds any joy whatsoever in discussing such. Frankly, given what the markets been put through & still with the uncertainty its a wonder they top 7500 for some of the meaningless mid-week games vs anemic, inconsequential opponents. This franchise has bigger fish to fry & I'm quite sure attendance will look after itself as the changes made off-season & with more likely to come have all been positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Feckless Puck

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Regardless... decent crowd. I dont see much point in getting too hungup about attendance guys. In the inimitable words of ultimate drive-bye artist Todd Bertuzzi... "It is what it is"... We know it'll be erratic & honestly, I really dont think anyone finds any joy whatsoever in discussing such. Frankly, given what the markets been put through & still with the uncertainty its a wonder they top 7500 for some of the meaningless mid-week games vs anemic, inconsequential opponents. This franchise has bigger fish to fry & I'm quite sure attendance will look after itself as the changes made off-season & with more likely to come have all been positive.

I'm really not hung up on attendance either. Was more curious about if they were really tarping those corner sections off or not and given the announced attendance the other night and I confirmed it with an STH who was there.

Doesn't mean they won't do it for later games though. Really just curious to know if this was something the "old IA" dreamed up and Barroway decided to nix it too??

Reactions: Killion

Llama19

Jan 19, 2013
Outside GZ

According to my sources, AEG General Manager Dale Adams stated it was not a sellout and there was between 14,000-15,000 people there...

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
I'm really not hung up on attendance either. Was more curious about if they were really tarping those corner sections off or not and given the announced attendance the other night and I confirmed it with an STH who was there.

Doesn't mean they won't do it for later games though. Really just curious to know if this was something the "old IA" dreamed up and Barroway decided to nix it too??

Hard to say whether it was a pending plan of the old regime that the new decided not to institute however they did I assume proceed with the "all you can eat" packages which adjoin those 4 upper~bowl corner areas yes?... Also.... could be they hoped to sell the tarps to sponsors and that hasnt as of yet happened or the tarps are in production and will be installed sometime soon. Its really a minor detail, issue. Bottom line; they like a lot of others simply have too much inventory, too much building, too many meaningless RS games scheduled at inconvenient times mid-week. This is a systemic problem, league wide but for the top 12-15 clubs. It's a league problem. Unfortunately Arizona further saddled with a bunch of other issues, uncertainty, so no, I dont really put a lot of stock in attendance watching unless its consistently absolutely abysmal. While historically not great at GRA reasons profound so best in this case to take a wait n' see....

mesamonster

Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ.
Hard to say whether it was a pending plan of the old regime that the new decided not to institute however they did I assume proceed with the "all you can eat" packages which adjoin those 4 upper~bowl corner areas yes?... Also.... could be they hoped to sell the tarps to sponsors and that hasnt as of yet happened or the tarps are in production and will be installed sometime soon. Its really a minor detail, issue. Bottom line; they like a lot of others simply have too much inventory, too much building, too many meaningless RS games scheduled at inconvenient times mid-week. This is a systemic problem, league wide but for the top 12-15 clubs. It's a league problem. Unfortunately Arizona further saddled with a bunch of other issues, uncertainty, so no, I dont really put a lot of stock in attendance watching unless its consistently absolutely abysmal. While historically not great at GRA reasons profound so best in this case to take a wait n' see....

Curious, the team reported a sell out, yet AEG said that attendance was well below that. If in fact it was not a sell out, as it appeared to many of us, the team did a disservice by reporting fake numbers in an effort to look better. Does the league condone such disparities? This also confirms many of my earlier suspicions that IA, and now Barroway, have been reporting bogus attendance figures for years.

As for the ramifications of poor attendance, it is the defining number that will ultimately determine how long this regime can continue to lose money before they are forced to consider alternative scenarios for the future of the franchise. Nobody in this league can afford to lose $15-40MM per year and remain solvent. The league can only do so much to prop up those losses before even they have to throw in the white towel. The next 15 or so home games, prior to yearend, will be the largest determining factor as to whether or not Andy will resign the lease to play another year at GRA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad