Player Discussion Phillip Danault: from C to shining C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I question what is the motivation of Danault haters here? And the same question for Drouin?
Because we can count the pages of debate and figure out there is something bizarre and irrationnal.
Racism?

I share your skepticism. I think it's one contributing factor amongva few.

In the case of Danault I also think that many posters have PTSD from the love affair between Therrien and Desharnais. But they're not the same player. Danault is much, much better than Desharnais.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
It's time to move on from Danault.

True worth : 3,5-4 M$ AAV
Expectations from Danault: 5,25-5,75 M$ AAV

Too much of a gap here.

Hasta luego Danault ;)

Just need to pick a third line center from the UFA market, at a much cheaper cost.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land

Too much of a gap here.

Hasta luego Danault ;)

Just need to pick a third line center from the UFA market, at a much cheaper cost.
Like if any ufa cheap market #3 C would bring the same level of play. Bravo, bravo !!
Let's bring a 36 yrs old center available with :
pension plans, peppermints, social tea cookies and energy boost suppplements.

Lol

Reactions: DAChampion

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I share your skepticism. I think it's one contributing factor amongva few.

In the case of Danault I also think that many posters have PTSD from the love affair between Therrien and Desharnais. But they're not the same player. Danault is much, much better than Desharnais.
Can you beleive me some posters bring Desharnais all the time when they talk about Danault. It's either DD or Sergachev (who is not good playing with the very best nhl team). How many Tampa Bay fans write negative posts about Sergy?

Anyway the pattern of argument follows the same path : DD having a preference usage because he speaks french with Therrien, so let's make it the same with Danault and Julien.
Simple, short cut thinking, predictable and narrow minded.

Reactions: 1909

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013

Too much of a gap here.

Hasta luego Danault ;)

lol can you substantiate this comment of true worth other than using your opinion? Maybe comparable or anything that doesn't seem to make this comment ridiculous

He's on a 3 Mil cap hit already and that was coming after the 2017-2018 season.....

Out of curiosity, what is much cheaper to you? What would be your target for a third line Centre price point, comparables?

Seems like everything here is wishful thinking. Don't get me wrong, I as much as the next guy would love to lock him at 3.5M or any comparable centre at such, it won't happen though

Last edited:

canucklover123

Oct 22, 2013
Minus those 2 are actually good in the offensive zone.

What makes you believe Bozak is so good in the offensive zone lol or better yet that much better than god awful Danault

He's on a 5 mil cap hit coming off first line duties in Toronto to third line C in St Louis averaging 67P in 139 games lol in his last two seasons lol, so you would much rather Bozak at third line instead of danault lol cause he's "actually good" in the offensive zone....

Last edited:

Jul 6, 2016
Danault is a very good hockey player. An excellent 3rd line centerman and a very valuable second line center on weaker teams. . And as such, he deserves minimum 4,5M$ per season. He will get around 5M$ in MTL or if he hits the UFA market, no doubt. If he could score more, that would be a no-brainer.

1000eeer

Jan 28, 2020
Quebec city
Like if any ufa cheap market #3 C would bring the same level of play. Bravo, bravo !!
Let's bring a 36 yrs old center available with :
pension plans, peppermints, social tea cookies and energy boost suppplements.

Lol

Blake Coleman (29 years old)
Marcus Johannesson (30 years old)
Erik Haula (30 years old)

Other than those, I must agree It's pretty thin.

It all depends on MB (and his team) assessment of Evans and Poehling progression throughout the year. We could target an older 3C if one of those is expected to be ready for the spot next year.

The point is, paying Danault more than 5M$/year is disgraceful.

It's all about opportunity cost.

Last edited:

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Coincidentally 1 has a single season in the NHL where he had 41 points in 71 games of his rookie year, and the other had 34 points in 79 games his rookie year(18 years old) and had a sophomore slump and is still only 20 years old in his 3rd season. Danault broke out (40 point) playing on the top line as a 24 year old because we had no one else to play 1C with the failure of drouin as 1C.

So if you want to pretend that a 26 year old playing on the top line with LIMITED PP time(not no PP) who managed 12 more points than a rookie playing without top line minutes and players, or one that gets 10-13 minutes a night and still manages 34 points at 18 years old as comparables??

KK is playing on the third line with 7 points in 12 games compared do danault with his 5 in 12 at completely different stages of development, completely different usage, completely different linemates. And we already know Suzuki is heads above danault in virtually everything facet of the game including his D game. Suzuki starts putting up 50% faceoff vs his dismal 40%(that claude still trust him with) and it won't be even close.

I just don't know what to say.

Not sure if you're responding to me but I was responding to Danault on 3rd line making 5M and being a successful team. Last 2 Cup winners had Bozak/Johnson.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Those searching for agendas behind the criticism of Danault should refocus on the evidence staring them in the face: 1 goal in his last 35 games, going back to mid-January 2020.

Stop bringing up stats to backup your argument, that isn't fair.
hCeEuPn.gif

CristianoRonaldo

Apr 7, 2014
In your head
Coincidentally, all 3 players don't have more than one over 50 points season and Danault is only one who didn't get PP time.

But Danault is not a good PP player, last year he had 1:34 PP/night and he was still as bad as usual. :popcorn:

His skill set is not made for the power play, his only utility is in the faceoff circle, that's not enough to warrant him more power play time.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Danault is a very good hockey player. An excellent 3rd line centerman and a very valuable second line center on weaker teams. . And as such, he deserves minimum 4,5M$ per season. He will get around 5M$ in MTL or if he hits the UFA market, no doubt. If he could score more, that would be a no-brainer.

I agree he’s a good player, especially defensively and I’d like to see him stay at a reasonable cap hit. He provides great depth down the middle.

But does he get $5 million AAV or more on a long term contract elsewhere? Since the pandemic hit in North America very few teams have given out long term contracts to forwards. With revenues down again this season and the cap staying at $81.5 million going into the 2021-22 season I’m not sure he’s going to get a lot of offers of 5 years or more, especially if he doesn’t start producing more.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
You are over focussing about the $5+ mill 3rd line centre. The main goal of the Habs is to win a Stanley Cup and the real question would be : is Habs can afford being worse at the 3rd line center or they can't?

The problem here is that the Habs need to IMPROVE if they want to win a Stanley Cup and Danault at $5m will make improving the team harder. If we were already contenders then you could argue overpaying the 3rd line center to keep a contending team intact is the smart/right move, but that's not the case for the Habs.

Yes letting Danault go makes us a worse team, but that argument can be made for every player. Byron on the 4th line at 3,4m. Even though Byron is better then whoever would replace him on the 4th line, by letting Byron go and replacing him with a competent 4th line player we could save 2.5m and then spend that money on actually making the team better.

Not too mention Danault at 5m almost certainly means Tatar walks so either way we are losing a player that makes us worse.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
You are over focussing about the $5+ mill 3rd line centre. The main goal of the Habs is to win a Stanley Cup and the real question would be : is Habs can afford being worse at the 3rd line center or they can't?

You and others seems to beleive Danault is replacable by any center because what he does can be replaced by Evans. I doubt it. Let's say Evans is 3rd center, who is 4th center? There is no answer, there is nobody. If you say you get the 3rd center by trade then it's a pure guess, we don't have a single clue if the new center will have chemistry, will have the same face off winning percentage, etc.

The season is long and exaustive. Some of our player are young at center position and not that big and strong. You like him or you hate him but as a fact Danault have some size, strength and endurance. He brings stability in a sport where injuries happens very fast. He plays a key spot position. I don't care about the 5 to 5,5M $ salary negociation. I am a CH fan, not an accountant.

I question what is the motivation of Danault haters here? And the same question for Drouin?
Because we can count the pages of debate and figure out there is something bizarre and irrationnal.
Racism?
As i said above, if Habs trade Danault , and then Suzuki is injured , suddenly KK is the #1 center and Evans the 2nd of the team; great ! KK looks good right now on the stats sheet, but his linemate has scored 9 goals . He won't put goals at that rate all season long.

Habs aren't build around 2-3 stars players. The team is constructed on depth, and balance of the 4 lines. If Bergevin moves Danault, he just destructs his team first strength.

and for the last part of your message, i disagree. Fans always have been very positive and receptive about Danault, Drouin, Hudon, Ouellet, Desharnais, Dandenault , Bouillon, Pouliot, Ribeiero , Dagenais , Latendresse, Brisebois, etc...
:sarcasm::yo:

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
Those searching for agendas behind the criticism of Danault should refocus on the evidence staring them in the face: 1 goal in his last 35 games, going back to mid-January 2020.
yeah, ok.
Now, for those that are not finding agendas behind their criticism of Danault , refocus on the number of time the opposite teams didn't score in these last 35 games, because the play of Danault and his 2 linemates.

I really don't give a shit about Danault's number of goals. I give a shit about the number of goals his line scores versus the number of goals the opposite lines score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad