Player Discussion Phillip Danault: from C to shining C Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I will just repeat here what was posted in the previous Danault thread earlier today for anyone who may miss it there.

La Poche Bleue, which is Latendress & Lapierre, say they learned the same Mattias Brunet, that the Habs offered 5 years @ $5M AAV to Danault. They said they offered it after Petry signed his extension and before Gallagher signed his.

They also say that Danault's clan countered with 6 years @ between $5.5M-$5.7M. The comparable the Danault team is using is Brock Nelson (signed for 6 years @ $6M AAV a few years ago).

It seems the Habs are using Pageau as a comparable (6 years @ $5M), expect Habs are offering it for 5 years.

The team and player aren't that far off from each other. So it wouldn't surprise me that if they do go back to the negotiating table, it wouldn't be hard to find a middle ground.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Add Columbus to Seattle in the list of teams that need centers badly enough to offer Phil 6M. Just like Philly was desperate enough to offer Hayes 7M AAV.

I think we have to move Phil by the deadline if we don't want to lose him for nothing or give him what he's asking for.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Look, Danault at 5.5 mil isn't the end of the world he's playing top 2C minutes.

Thing is...he's slipping down the depth chart and it won't be worthwhile for us.

I have nothing against the guy. If he wanted less money, say 4 mil or so I'd even keep him on 3rd line/2nd line replacement and be thrilled.
It's a tough call... especially if you're projecting where you want and expect Suzuki/Danault/Kotkaniemi to be in 2-3yrs.

You commit too much to Danault now, it places you at a tougher disadvantage when Suzuki/Kotkaniemi need new deals.

Which probably means a sacrifice in another area of a team.

I think 5M/yr is already a very rich offer...I would be very hesitant to offer more.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Add Columbus to Seattle in the list of teams that need centers badly enough to offer Phil 6M. Just like Philly was desperate enough to offer Hayes 7M AAV.

I think we have to move Phil by the deadline if we don't want to lose him for nothing or give him what he's asking for.
Not a chance if you think we're good enough to compete for the Cup, or even make the playoffs for that matter.
They might just play it out with him and i'm okay with that. After this year he has maybe 2 years left of good play. we're not losing a great player.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Look, Danault at 5.5 mil isn't the end of the world he's playing top 2C minutes.

Thing is...he's slipping down the depth chart and it won't be worthwhile for us.

I have nothing against the guy. If he wanted less money, say 4 mil or so I'd even keep him on 3rd line/2nd line replacement and be thrilled.
split the difference BUT don't give him the NMC - can then deal him within 2-3 years

Reactions: dralaf and Belial

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not a chance if you think we're good enough to compete for the Cup, or even make the playoffs for that matter.
They might just play it out with him and i'm okay with that. After this year he has maybe 2 years left of good play. we're not losing a great player.

Re-signing him is also a huge risk. His game is largely based on speed and higher compete level. If he slows down, it will affect his effectiveness.

Evand is showing good things, may be able to be a 3c one day.

For me it depends on what we could get for Danault.

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
He will get more on the FA market

I’m not so sure about that. This upcoming free agent period will be just as bad or maybe worse for the players than the last one. Revenue is down and the cap isn’t going up substantially for probably at least 5 years.

Not a lot of teams were giving decent contracts with lots of term in October/November of 2020, I think it will be more of the same in the summer of 2021.

Reactions: azcanuck

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Re-signing him is also a huge risk. His game is largely based on speed and higher compete level. If he slows down, it will affect his effectiveness.

virtually zero chance of a trade. His line depends on he chemistry they have.

I'm okay with him leaving at year's end. They'll be plenty of players to resign in upcoming years. You dont want to give too many long terms to fading players.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He will get more on the FA market

More then 30 million?? Really lol? with the covid market now? id like to see that.
Toffoli didnt even get 20 million
Hoffman got 4 million at the VERY last second
And Taylor Hall signed for 1 year
Those were the TOP free agents this year.

People arent just gonna line up and chuck 30 million dollars at THIS type of player, and frankly im BLOWN away we even did

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
6 x 5. Not interested in any more term with Danault. If he says no move him this year.

Reactions: Redux91

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I’m not so sure about that. This upcoming free agent period will be just as bad or maybe worse for the players than the last one. Revenue is down and the cap isn’t going up substantially for probably at least 5 years.

Not a lot of teams were giving decent contracts with lots of term in October/November of 2020, I think it will be more of the same in the summer of 2021.

They where still a couple just look here with Anderson/Petry/Gallagher. Minny that dosen’t have a Center will probably give him the 5.5 for 6 years and I wouldn’t be surprised if he they go at 6

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014

I wouldn't label it as high risk. Very smart player, he's only about to turn 28 and it's not like he's about to fall off a cliff physically. 6 years is too long, but 4-5 shouldn't be an issue

If we're in it to compete this year in the North, losing Danault would be devastating. Moving him for only picks or future assets would be the dumbest thing the team could do in this situation. Would need a legitimate Center coming to replace him.

Reactions: Andrei79

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
More then 30 million?? Really lol? with the covid market now? id like to see that.
Toffoli didnt even get 20 million
Hoffman got 4 million at the VERY last second
And Taylor Hall signed for 1 year
Those were the TOP free agents this year.

People arent just gonna line up and chuck 30 million dollars at THIS type of player, and frankly im BLOWN away we even did

Danault is a more valuable piece for a GM then Toffoli
Hoffman there is many reason why he didn’t had a big contract and he wouldn’t probably have it without Covid either
Hall bet on himself having a better season and he still have 8m

Danault would be the best C on the FA market and there is team that badly need one so if there is a bidding war between Minny, Columbus and other teams he could easily get his 6 years 36m contract.

Brodie/Pietrangelo/Krug/Markstrom all had the contract they wanted even with Covid

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
virtually zero chance of a trade. His line depends on he chemistry they have.

I'm okay with him leaving at year's end. They'll be plenty of players to resign in upcoming years. You dont want to give too many long terms to fading players.

And having the cap space from not re-signing him should be a good thing in this upcoming ufa market.

Will be interesting to see how much Evan's can progress this year.

Reactions: habdynasty

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Danault is a more valuable piece for a GM then Toffoli
Hoffman there is many reason why he didn’t had a big contract and he wouldn’t probably have it without Covid either
Hall bet on himself having a better season and he still have 8m

Danault would be the best C on the FA market and there is team that badly need one so if there is a bidding war between Minny, Columbus and other teams he could easily get his 6 years 36m contract.

Brodie/Pietrangelo/Krug/Markstrom all had the contract they wanted even with Covid

Agreed that he’ll get a better contract than Toffoli, but it’s a big jump from a 4 year $17 million contract to a 6 year $36 million contract.

I also don’t think the guys you listed got the contract they wanted. For example Pietrangelo in a normal UFA season would have got over $10 million per season. Trouba got a 7 year $56 million contract the year prior. The year prior Bobrovsky got a 7 year $70 million contract, Markstrom got a 6 year $36 million contract.

I also firmly believe Hall and Hoffman would have gotten long term contracts in a normal season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad