Rumor: Philadelphia wanted a 1st rounder, or specific prospect to take Joseph from Ottawa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sens fans will never learn not to jump the gun. So many instances in the last few years.

I'll give you props if this opinion of Joseph/Philly is true 30 games from now.
Odd how the interest and lectures about the Senators has piqued lately. Odd to think that for years the Senators have been ignored but are constantly "jumping the gun" somehow. Thanks for your interest and cogent thoughts.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Because the team is paying its players to extremely long contracts before they break out.

Short term pain for long term gain.

The Sens have essentially locked down the entire core for 7-8 years. There are no more core players to lock down, unless you consider a Pinto a core player. As the cap rises, they'll have lots to breathing room to add more depth while the core players are playing above their contracts. They'll have a very good contention window as players like Tkachuk, Stutzle and Sanderson enter their prime.
It's also because of a lot of dead cap space & blunders that led to the current cap crunch. There are different reasons that led to this situation over years including a cheap owner (Melnyk), Dorion and so on. Yes, next year the situation will improve significantly, but no need to ignore or sugar coat the current situation. The gaslighting strategy that some (cough) seem to be fond of will only stir things up more in here.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
This is done imo. The Sens can't afford to not have Joseph's speed in their lineup, even if he's not scoring.

On to Kubalik, I guess.

Reactions: Altimus

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
This is done imo. The Sens can't afford to not have Joseph's speed in their lineup, even if he's not scoring.

On to Kubalik, I guess.
Ya kubalik or brannstrom is the guy to move. Brannstrom should be the #2 guy to move with kleven in the pipeline to replace him

Should just throw in a mid prospect or a 3rd rounder and get it done. Pinto needs to be signed already, its embarrassing

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Ya kubalik or brannstrom is the guy to move. Brannstrom should be the #2 guy to move with kleven in the pipeline to replace him

Should just throw in a mid prospect or a 3rd rounder and get it done. Pinto needs to be signed already, its embarrassing
If we have aspirations of being a playoff team I don't think we can trade Brannstrom. The D is good, but prone to injuries. On the other hand, Kubalik is a very nice depth piece to have, but we can probably do without.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Should have taken whatever Ottawa was offering - likely a 2nd. Joseph is a solid player who had a shitty, injury filled season last year.

Now, we can't afford to lose him.

Exactly

Yup, looks like the Flyers really missed the boat on this one.

Briere might have aimed too high and missed. Good on Dorion for not caving in. If Joseph keeps it up (not talking about pts), and I believe he will with how he has looked this summer (destroyed the 3v3 league here in QC), training camp (looked dominant in pre season) and the first 4 games, I am actually ready to give some slack to Dorion on the Paul's trade and say it was actually a good one. Damn it you win another one :sarcasm:

If we have aspirations of being a playoff team I don't think we can trade Brannstrom. The D is good, but prone to injuries. On the other hand, Kubalik is a very nice depth piece to have, but we can probably do without.

Like I have been saying since the Tarasenko signing, Kubalik is the no brainer piece to move. Not sure why it hasn't been done yet but with guys like Greig, Tarasenko, and now Joseph plus Norris back, we can certainly do without him. It's an internal Kubalik for Pinto trade now.

We don't have much depth after the Top-5 D (which is fantastic) though, can't afford to lose Brannstrom until Kleven is ready to make an impact.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I’m more confused about things like Tarasenko that they didn’t seem to properly plan for.
He skipped the real reason they are tight against the Cap because he is obsessed with Dorion and is completely unable to be objective. Dorion is paying 4 players to not play for the team right now totalling 5.1 million. Dorion also has no forsite and never plans anything. Ie trading 7th oa 2nd and a 3rd for a player he had never spoken to about extending in Debrincat. Or signing Tarasenko without having Pinto done or a plan to make room for Pinto. He's a bumbling idiot that magoo's his way into good players. He even fired the guy that drafted all their young players. He won't be around for long.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

On to Kubalik, I guess.
Not saying it was you specifically, but given alot of the narrative around the trade and bizarre claims I've seen on the internet like "Kubalik at 2.5 is better value than DeBrincat at 8", "Kubalik is a more efficient goalscorer and we're better with him on our third line than with DeBrincat on the 2nd line" it's genuinely surprising for me to see any Sens fan talk about needing to clear Kubalik's cap hit after 4 games to make room for Pinto.

I've only watched your game against Tampa so far, and I see he's scoreless in limited TOI, but has he actually been *that* bad?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Not saying it was you specifically, but given alot of the narrative around the trade and bizarre claims I've seen on the internet like "Kubalik at 2.5 is better value than DeBrincat at 8", "Kubalik is a more efficient goalscorer and we're better with him on our third line than with DeBrincat on the 2nd line" it's genuinely surprising for me to see any Sens fan talk about needing to clear Kubalik's cap hit after 4 games to make room for Pinto.

I've only watched your game against Tampa so far, and I see he's scoreless in limited TOI, but has he actually been *that* bad?
Hasn't been that bad he's just the most redundant. The sens have alot of shooters. If Tarasenko wasn't here then they would need him alot more and they wouldn't be trading him. If they can get an asset for him instead of giving up an asset to trade Joseph it's a no brainer. Grieg's emergence has also made him more expendable as well.

sennysensen

Feb 7, 2018
I like Joseph's game a lot so far this season, and do not want him traded. His speed and PK ability really stands out. He doesn't look snakebit anymore, and should return to his career average of 15 goals per 82 games.

I now see 2 solutions to the salary cap mess:

1. Trade Kubalik, even if it's for a 7th rounder.

2. Wait until Dec 1, when Pinto will amost certainly sign for 1 year $1.5 / 1.6 mil (he won't want to sit out the season), send 2 players to the AHL (Chartier and either Kastelic, Kelly, or MacEwen, and play the year with a 20 man roster.

If the Sens keep winning, option 2 becomes more and more likely. Greig has done a respectable job replacing Pinto.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost is getting healthy scratched by Torts, so I'm sure the Flyers would make him available in a trade. Last season he led the team in ES scoring, but Torts hates his guts.

Frost at 50% for Kubalik + 2nd would probably get it done

That would free up $1.45m in cap space for Ottawa

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

We would have been a worse team for signing DBC to 8 million. With that money we used 5 million to sign Tarasenko and the rest will be used for Pinto etc.

Kubalik is the obvious choice. I'd love to keep hi,m though, I know there will be injuries and he's a good player, but we have a lot of good forwards...finally. It took a long, long, long time.

Joseph is more valuable than Kubalik IMO because of his speed and PK ability.

Greig is more valuable because of his ability to get into dirty areas to make plays

Pinto is more valuable because he just is. And the rest are flat out on a different level than Kubalik, so, it is what it is.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Frost is getting healthy scratched by Torts, so I'm sure the Flyers would make him available in a trade. Last season he led the team in ES scoring, but Torts hates his guts.

No. No it wouldn't.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Not enough cap space, plus why the second.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018

Frost for Kubalik + 2nd would probably get it done
That accomplishes nothing for Ottawa and we cant afford to move high picks. If you want Kubalik, the asset in return should cost us at most $1.25m (ideally less). Mayyyybe Poehling? But I would need to look deeper. Staal, Seeler would probably be of interest... maybe Lycksell, Ginning, Allison and Laczynski too... and really any pick.

Now, Frost @50%.... that I would do in a second. Cant see Philly retaining half of a multi year deal they just signed, though.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Because Frost is 24 with the potential to be a 50-60 point center (who can also play wing), and Kubalik is a 28 year old UFA.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Because Frost is 24 with the potential to be a 50-60 point center (who can also play wing), and Kubalik is a 28 year old UFA.
Frost on the wing? Not sure it ever happened and if he could play wing he would be lw2 as they are now playing right wingers on the left since roster is unbalanced like crazy.

Torts will bench everyone. Do not read too much into it. He wants to « shake » his players.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Frost on the wing? Not sure it ever happened and if he could play wing he would be lw2 as they are now playing right wingers on the left since roster is unbalanced like crazy.

Torts will bench everyone. Do not read too much into it. He wants to « shake » his players.
Nah, he's trying to run Frost out of town. Just like he did with Angelo and Hayes, and almost did with Sanheim.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'd easily do Frost for Pinto
Oh I'm sure you would.

I think a Frost trade would be similar to the one suggested earlier - Frost @ 50% for Kubalik and a 2nd

Flyers get a 2nd for Frost plus Kubalik who they can give PP minutes and flip him to a contender at the deadline for another 2nd or 3rd.

Ottawa gets $1.45M in cap space and can sign Pinto with the right cap moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad