OT: Philadelphia Phillies: 2017 season

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Today the Hall of fame class will be announced on MLB network at 615pm. Jim Thome is expected to get in and wanted to say congrats. I wish he would be a coach to help some of our hitters.

whitstifier

Honor Black Excellence in Hockey
Mar 19, 2013
Are the Brewers finally moving on from Braun? seems rash to give up on Brinson, though he's been erratic

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
So it seems like Kapler is a real hands on players manager. I saw that he's been talking to VV regularly. MacKanin was a players manager too, but he got too loyal and too old school at times. Hopefully Kapler will embrace what the numbers tell him if it's overwhelming enough.

Reactions: Rebels57

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Trevor Hoffman isn't a HOF'er

Martinez is.

What a joke, this voting process is so flawed
I don't buy the Martinez HOF argument. I take no issue with him being DH, I just don't see it in terms of his stats or play. He had an excellent batting average, but not all-time. Solid all-around numbers, but nothing eye-popping. With the exception of one season never hit more than 30 home-runs. Never had 200+ hits. Wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzalez on the base path. So what gets him in the HOF?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
So with some big name free agents out there, here's my plan if I'm GM...

Trade some combination one of Franco/Herrera/Hernandez to Toronto for Stroman (add in something else if necessary)

Trade the other two remaining from that deal for prospects

Sign Moustakas to play third on a 3 or so year deal

Sign Arrieta to a three or so year deal

Sign Jarrod Dyson to replace the speed lost

Lineup/Rotation

C: Alfaro
1B: Santana
2B: Kingery
SS: Crawford
3B: Moustakas
LF: Hoskins
CF: Williams/Dyson
RF: Altherr/Williams/Dyson
Bench: Whichever OF doesn't start that day, probably Dyson or Altherr, ToJo, Knapp or Rupp and maybe Cozens and Valentin.

P: Arrieta
P: Stroman
P: Nola
P: Velaszquez
P: Eickoff

I have no idea if the Jays would do that deal or if the free agents would sign, but if I'm GM I am knocking down those doors. That's a contending team. Even if Kingery craps out and they have to send him down to AAA, you can stick someone else in there or perhaps hang on to Hernandez and see how Kingery holds up before dealing him. Almost certainly this is all a complete and total pipe dream that will in no way come close to happening but a boy can dream.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I don't buy the Martinez HOF argument. I take no issue with him being DH, I just don't see it in terms of his stats or play. He had an excellent batting average, but not all-time. Solid all-around numbers, but nothing eye-popping. With the exception of one season never hit more than 30 home-runs. Never had 200+ hits. Wasn't exactly Speedy Gonzalez on the base path. So what gets him in the HOF?

Edgar Martinez is a Hall of Famer, and the numbers couldn't be more clear

Read this and tell me he's not a hall of famer

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
So with some big name free agents out there, here's my plan if I'm GM...

Trade some combination one of Franco/Herrera/Hernandez to Toronto for Stroman (add in something else if necessary)

Trade the other two remaining from that deal for prospects

Sign Moustakas to play third on a 3 or so year deal

Sign Arrieta to a three or so year deal

Sign Jarrod Dyson to replace the speed lost

Lineup/Rotation

C: Alfaro
1B: Santana
2B: Kingery
SS: Crawford
3B: Moustakas
LF: Hoskins
CF: Williams/Dyson
RF: Altherr/Williams/Dyson
Bench: Whichever OF doesn't start that day, probably Dyson or Altherr, ToJo, Knapp or Rupp and maybe Cozens and Valentin.

P: Arrieta
P: Stroman
P: Nola
P: Velaszquez
P: Eickoff

I have no idea if the Jays would do that deal or if the free agents would sign, but if I'm GM I am knocking down those doors. That's a contending team. Even if Kingery craps out and they have to send him down to AAA, you can stick someone else in there or perhaps hang on to Hernandez and see how Kingery holds up before dealing him. Almost certainly this is all a complete and total pipe dream that will in no way come close to happening but a boy can dream.

I like your plan, But I'd be just happy if we could sign cobb and lynn to a 3 yr dl Heck we could do your plan and add 1 or both of these 2.

What is really nuts is the phillies new 5 billion tv contract is available for them to use. I know like most clubs they saving there money for next offseason when harper and machado are free agents.

I'd like to also get a lefty starter, also relief. We are to right handed

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
That article is not convincing. It cherry picks Martinez's best stats and compares them to random stats of a random assortment of players (i.e., not one single. For instance he has the same OBP as Stan Musial, but 1400 fewer hits, 200 fewer HRs and Musuial missed a year for military service). It also compares him to Mariano Rivera which is not a great argument considering they play two very different positions. The comparison to David Ortiz is also a little odd, seeing as how Ortiz likely won't get in because of steroid issues so comparing him to a player that is not in the HOF at the moment and is also a known cheater doesn't hold water. Finally you have the Frank Thomas and Paul Molitor comparison which is equally unpersuasive. For one, the comparison to Frank Thomas makes Martinez look worse, as Thomas has him beat in every category listed except BA (plus ones where that are not listed in this article). As for Paul Molitor, that's probably the best comparison but Molitor had 1000+ more hits than him, 400 more SBs and played more than half his career in the field.

Edgar Martinez was a great hitter. There is no question about that. But he is not a Hall of Famer. The Hall of Fame is for the greatest players of all time. Not players with some similar stats to a handful of players that are in the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: PHILOUDELPHIA

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
So it seems like Kapler is a real hands on players manager. I saw that he's been talking to VV regularly. MacKanin was a players manager too, but he got too loyal and too old school at times. Hopefully Kapler will embrace what the numbers tell him if it's overwhelming enough.

I don't think that there's any evidence he would be the way that Mackanin was with that. He seems like a guy who is going to have the best players play. Was pretty in to analytics with the Dodgers, I believe.

PHILOUDELPHIA

Feb 29, 2012
South Jersey NJ
Why do the phillies or all philly teams have a habbit of bringing back players.

Jim salsbury has a story all over nbc sports philly saying phillies might bring cole hamels back.

Would this be good or bad, and what would you give up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad