OT: Philadelphia Eagles (NFL): Hail Tyrod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
There is no perfect strategy, because incomplete knowledge is rampant in pro sports.
The key to long-term success is learning from mistakes, and always making new mistakes.
The other key is the right owner giving rational mandates.
I think the Eagles were drunk off the SB, but even with the mistakes, making the playoffs 4 of 5 seasons is quite an accomplishment,

Howie is best when rebuilding, without a HC with pull dictating "win now" moves.
And Siri and Gannon are hands on coaches, so they have a better feel for the players they can coach up.
The reason they're so successful drafting OL is Howie defers to Stoutland's judgement. Stoutland is a hands on coach, focused as much on teaching fundamentals as blocking schemes.
At least you’re consistent with the “all of the bad things are because of other people” approach across sports.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Just to circle-back, this paragraph right here is why I think Howie deserves credit for what's going on right now.

But that didn’t happen. Instead, Roseman realized it made no sense to keep a player who didn’t want to be there and who was not the player they hoped he’d be. Now, Roseman contributed to that unhappiness and the financial mess they were in. He decided to pay Wentz all that money and then, knowing his QB had a fragile ego, drafted a quarterback in the second round of the 2020 draft. The situation was created by Roseman.

However, the fact Roseman was the one who made these decisions makes it all the more remarkable he didn’t become a slave to them.

Eagles were rewarded for avoiding the sunk cost fallacy with Carson Wentz

Usually GMs just fall on the swords and perish once they mess up badly...but Howie cut his loss when he realistically needed to, and it's paying off. I'd rather him just be excellent all the time, but I'll take a GM who can learn from mistakes quickly.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Just to circle-back, this paragraph right here is why I think Howie deserves credit for what's going on right now.

Eagles were rewarded for avoiding the sunk cost fallacy with Carson Wentz

Usually GMs just fall on the swords and perish once they mess up badly...but Howie cut his loss when he realistically needed to, and it's paying off. I'd rather him just be excellent all the time, but I'll take a GM who can learn from mistakes quickly.

The biggest issue I always had with Howie aside from the "in-the building drama" (that seems to happen almost everywhere if things are going badly. Just look at what the Dolphins are doing right now to a certain degree) is his horrible drafting. Thats why I was ok with firing him (but not outright calling for his head).

But lets face it. He has done a masterful job over the last 12 months. Absolutely pristine. Between stealing 2 extra 1sts for Wentz + moving down as well as for the first time in a longtime completely nailing the draft (the early returns on Smith/Dickerson/Milton look better than any draft class I remember in recent history) has turned what looked like a goddamn mess into a situation that looks to be not even close to as dire as I thought it was. Howie is goddamn good at parts of his job. Most of them aside from the draft actually.

That said. The Eagles had an incredibly easy schedule and haven't beaten anyone and we still don't know what we really have with Sirianni/Hurts but both those decisions that Howie and Lurie made over the last 12 months have paid off so far.

If they can repeat their draft performance from last year in April and nail all those 1sts, Howie probably won't go anywhere for the next 10 years. And rightfully so.
But his (and the Eagles )track record in the 15-30 range in the draft has been really awful so far. So this draft will probably decide if Howie is still here 10 years from now or if he is a goner 2-3 years from now.

Last edited:

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005
Pro sports coaches are just fenders for GMs, we know that in Philly now

Hakstol—>AV
Brett Brown—>Doc
Kapler—>Gerardi

Reactions: Flybynite

iceman42

May 7, 2003
Enfield, NH
It's not really a big secret that Howie was a dabbler in his early days and is now more of an organizer, consensus gatherer, and wheeler-dealer when it comes to the player evaluation side of things.
This is not a traditional GM role so I believe there are missteps and adjustments that have had to happen to get to a happy medium, whether we are there or not I don't know.
In order for this to function effectively Howie has to have a consistent group and has to have a certain level of trust with everyone in the room. Scouts and others on the player evaluation side have certain blind spots when evaluating players.

So there are a few things that the Eagles have going against them with keeping continuity with Howie as the GM.
  • Most NFL personnel guys want to be GM, which means they will bolt as soon as they get an offer.
  • The established NFL personnel guys know a lot more than Howie does on the evaluation side of things, and therefore might not want to work with Howie.
  • Howie has a reputation as someone who doesn't listen to input from others (unfounded or not).
  • Turnover in the player evaluation side of things has led to a lot of instability when it comes to who to trust and who not to trust.
If Howie can keep the evaluators who have performed well and trust their assessments we should do well in the draft as one thing that Howie has shown is the ability to get additional draft capital from almost thin air. In a salary-cap world and with how quickly draft picks contribute in the NFL it's the best way to stay on top or do a quick rebuild.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
But lets face it. He has done a masterful job over the last 12 months. Absolutely pristine.

I strongly reject the description of anyone attempting to acquire Deshaun Watson in the middle of his situation as pristine.

Again, I liked the 2021 draft and said so at the time. There have been plenty of positives. We just tend to go too far and only talk about what happened, not what they tried to get done.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I strongly reject the description of anyone attempting to acquire Deshaun Watson in the middle of his situation as pristine.

Again, I liked the 2021 draft and said so at the time. There have been plenty of positives. We just tend to go too far and only talk about what happened, not what they tried to get done.

No one has inside information on the Eagles or the inner working of the organization and what they are thinking. It is clearly possible they did their due diligence on Watson but we nor anyone else knows the degree they went to pursue him. So much info is leaked to insiders by agents, other coaches , other gm's just to stir up talk to see if anything comes from it and insiders are so happy to be fed any sort of nugget they get that they don't hesitate to relay that to anyone listening.

no one can stay with any certainty the degree in which we may have pursued Watson

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
No one has no inside information on the Eagles or the inner working of the organization and what they are thinking. It is clearly possible they did their due diligence on Watson but we nor anyone else knows the degree they went to pursue him. So much info is leaked to insiders by agents, other coaches , other gm's just to stir up talk to see if anything comes from it and insiders are so happy to be fed any sort of nugget they get that they don't hesitate to relay that to anyone listening.

no one can stay with any certainty the degree in which we may have pursued Watson

They pursued Deshaun Watson. The pursuit stopped when Watson refused to waive for the Eagles. Compensation was not agreed upon. Where exactly they got in trade discussion is irrelevant to the point at hand.

But as an olive branch, have a moron:

That man was on NFL staffs for 30 years.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
They pursued Deshaun Watson. The pursuit stopped when Watson refused to waive for the Eagles. Compensation was not agreed upon. Where exactly they got in trade discussion is irrelevant to the point at hand.

But as an olive branch, have a moron:

That man was on NFL staffs for 30 years.

It would have been irresponsible for a gm to not look into the Watson situation. Howie is the type of GM that is open to every possibility to make his team better and I think that is the way to do that job. I have no problem with him looking into Watson. Mind you this is the same organization that signed national pariah Michael Vick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad