OT: Philadelphia 76ers: Onseason

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
Frustrating game. I played into High School. Some pretty bush mistakes by the team I noticed and they fell apart at the end. If they can clean up their game they'll be much better than last night. Turnovers were brutal.

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
He represented well...hopefully he can improve on those free throws especially since he is mostly driving to the basket.

You have to think he will. I know people have commented on his commitment "issues" because of college, but I don't see it necessarily like that. I see a dude that's known since he was a kid that he was going to be in the NBA, and hasn't cared about anything up until this point because it wasn't the NBA. I think that he's going to be a very serious dude.

Plus it's not that f***ing hard!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Luck ran out on this one.

-Simmons went off. Jtown I havent forgotten our avatar bet.
-Embiid was straight up bad offensively for long stretches. Made bad decisions but Roco picked him up in that regard
-TJ, Bayless, JJ are all good players and vast improvements on what we've run out before but for everything they give you in terms of ball-handling and shooting theyll give it all back on the defensive end. Watching them trying to spot Beal/Wall in the 2nd half was pure comedy and the difference in the game.

simmons had a great game. but here is my concern. That was the best game we have seen him shoot, and his true shooting percentage was only .511 THat is not going to win in today's nba. The nba has gotten smarter, and its become a layup or 3 point league. I just don't see how simmons becomes an efficient enough to score

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
If you're expecting a good TS% this year, your expectations just aren't realistic. I'd be happy if he shot ~62% from the line. You just want to see progress.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
There is no baseline for progress because he refuses to shoot with his right hand or anything outside of 5 feet

The baseline is LSU and this. He needs to take shots, no doubt about it. But that's not step 1. Let him focus on getting acclimated to the NBA and something as repetition-based as free throw shooting first, then work on translating it to live ball play.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I watched parts of the Lakers game, Lonzo wasn’t bad really but the Lakers are terrible. Without guys who can score around him about the only thing Lonzo can do is grab rebounds.

Reactions: Jtown

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
I watched parts of the Lakers game, Lonzo wasn’t bad really but the Lakers are terrible. Without guys who can score around him about the only thing Lonzo can do is grab rebounds.
Beverly shut him down completely, but he does that quite often to good players.

I just like watching ESPN squirm when Ball doesnt do well. Oh and his Dad also.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Beverly shut him down completely, but he does that quite often to good players.

I just like watching ESPN squirm when Ball doesnt do well. Oh and his Dad also.

Yeah, Beverly gave him a rough welcome to the NBA. And anything that shuts LaVar up is fine with me.

Reactions: sa cyred

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Reactions: Embiid

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
"I just had to set the tone," Beverley said. "I told him after the game, due to all the riff-raff his dad brings, he's going to get a lot of people coming at him. He has to be ready for that, and I let him know after the game. But what a better way to start him off. I was 94 feet guarding him tonight. Welcome his little young ass to the NBA."

http://scores.nbcsportsphiladelphia.com/nba/recap.asp?g=2017101913&home=13&vis=12&final=true
Welcome to the NBA little Lonzo...

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
:laugh: Jtown i'll never block you youre too entertaining.
This is the same guy that told us with absolute certainty that 20 year old Couturier playing with scrubs would never be anything more than a 3c.
I respect you because you treat the forum like the oldheads in my neighborhood treat the corner bar in South Philly. You get a notion in your head that might be somewhat plausible and then you scream it out to the world on the off-chance that down the line you can turn around and say "I told you so!" Youre gimmick is hilarious and I love it.
One poster says this:
Swap Simmons for Ball and Fultz for Tatum....
And you follow it up QUICKLY with this:
Yes please

Yet you harp on Simmons TS%? You dont even have a leg to stand on my friend. What does Lonzo do better than Simmons? I'll wait. Oh wait, as a non-casual fan I'm sure you watched a ton of Simmons LSU games and saw that he didnt make the NCAA tournament and Lonzo did, and that's the difference. Simmons couldnt will his team to the vaunted Summer League title and so he cant possibly be on Lonzo's level.
This dude said casual Sixer fans think Simmons will be a star. :laugh: I can assure you I am anything but a casual fan. I guess its easy to look at Curry and think every player has to shoot the lights out to be dominant, but youre simply wrong. Amalgamation of talent is the one thing that all the great teams have and the Sixers are building that.

When youre not a casual you look at things like wha past plus attributes a player brings and how quickly and effectively do they translate. Simmons, the MCW clone, played the 6th pro game of his life after a year on the shelf and blew past NBA defenders, dished assists, was dominant on the boards, and dominant defensively. Will he have worse shooting games this year. Yep but I'd be willing to bet he has better games as well. Do you think 26 year old Simmons will still be shooting 60% FTs? What do you think is more likely Lonzo becomes a quality scoring option or Simmons improves his range game? Be honest with me.

I wont clutter up this thread anymore but just like I said in the Couturier/Schenn thread great players come in 3 sizes. Elite at one thing, versatile in many, or both. Simmons is already elite as def rebounder, passer, penetrator. I think very soon he will be elite defensively and as a finisher as he gets acclimated to NBA size and physicality. Against his age group 2 of the last 3 years he was dominant as a finisher around the rim, with both hands. I've been saying Simmons needs to work on his shot on this forum back when people were still trying to throw up Ingram as a higher upside player. As if every single prospect who's entered the NBA hasnt heard the mandate to get shots up and improve their percentages against the best defenders in the world.

I'll see you game 40

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
so glad we don't have their pick.

Dude, you can just enjoy yourself sometimes. Everything doesn't have to be so negative.

Also, top 1 protection! I still don't think they finish with the second worst record or anything. The Nets may be a little fun, but they're still putrid and Lin is already out for the year. I'd also be quite surprised if they finished behind Phoenix, Chicago, or Orlando, and probably the Knicks as well. That's really not a bad spot given the double protections.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Why does a Sixers team with Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, and Saric care about what draft picks from other teams they do or dont have anyway?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
:laugh: Jtown i'll never block you youre too entertaining.
This is the same guy that told us with absolute certainty that 20 year old Couturier playing with scrubs would never be anything more than a 3c.
I respect you because you treat the forum like the oldheads in my neighborhood treat the corner bar in South Philly. You get a notion in your head that might be somewhat plausible and then you scream it out to the world on the off-chance that down the line you can turn around and say "I told you so!" Youre gimmick is hilarious and I love it.
One poster says this:

And you follow it up QUICKLY with this:

Yet you harp on Simmons TS%? You dont even have a leg to stand on my friend. What does Lonzo do better than Simmons? I'll wait. Oh wait, as a non-casual fan I'm sure you watched a ton of Simmons LSU games and saw that he didnt make the NCAA tournament and Lonzo did, and that's the difference. Simmons couldnt will his team to the vaunted Summer League title and so he cant possibly be on Lonzo's level.
This dude said casual Sixer fans think Simmons will be a star. :laugh: I can assure you I am anything but a casual fan. I guess its easy to look at Curry and think every player has to shoot the lights out to be dominant, but youre simply wrong. Amalgamation of talent is the one thing that all the great teams have and the Sixers are building that.

When youre not a casual you look at things like wha past plus attributes a player brings and how quickly and effectively do they translate. Simmons, the MCW clone, played the 6th pro game of his life after a year on the shelf and blew past NBA defenders, dished assists, was dominant on the boards, and dominant defensively. Will he have worse shooting games this year. Yep but I'd be willing to bet he has better games as well. Do you think 26 year old Simmons will still be shooting 60% FTs? What do you think is more likely Lonzo becomes a quality scoring option or Simmons improves his range game? Be honest with me.

I wont clutter up this thread anymore but just like I said in the Couturier/Schenn thread great players come in 3 sizes. Elite at one thing, versatile in many, or both. Simmons is already elite as def rebounder, passer, penetrator. I think very soon he will be elite defensively and as a finisher as he gets acclimated to NBA size and physicality. Against his age group 2 of the last 3 years he was dominant as a finisher around the rim, with both hands. I've been saying Simmons needs to work on his shot on this forum back when people were still trying to throw up Ingram as a higher upside player. As if every single prospect who's entered the NBA hasnt heard the mandate to get shots up and improve their percentages against the best defenders in the world.

I'll see you game 40

i love your confidence.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/ben-simmons/
https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/carmelo/lonzo-ball/

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Dude, you can just enjoy yourself sometimes. Everything doesn't have to be so negative.

Also, top 1 protection! I still don't think they finish with the second worst record or anything. The Nets may be a little fun, but they're still putrid and Lin is already out for the year. I'd also be quite surprised if they finished behind Phoenix, Chicago, or Orlando, and probably the Knicks as well. That's really not a bad spot given the double protections.

clearly you are new to philly sports. What is negative, embracing the lakers suckiness? I did not like the trade at all, and its magnified even worst now when you see how bad the lakers truly are. I wanted that pick. Hinkie worked hard to get it, and it was a masterful job and now its basically gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad