phil-kessel-o.gif

tumblr_myww1tplBq1skgd7ao5_250.gif

tumblr_mm36ccZSW21r41emlo4_250.gif

iByDevH7aAG28.gif

LeeIs

....--....
Mar 17, 2004
T.O.
His scoring is just fine. i just can't stand the way he avoids any contact and just gets rid of the puck at the sight of any tiny hit coming his way. it's pretty embarrassing at times. but then he ties games, pots in game winners and does a lot of scoring for us. i hope he grows his game.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I never realized he could rival Stammer for hardest slap shot. Man is there anything offensive in hockey that Phil can't do well?

Probably not. Think I read somewhere he use a stick that is not optimal for slapshots or something like that, but he can still slam them in just nicely with the stick he uses. But something he should do more often considering how quickly he can get his shot off.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Probably not. Think I read somewhere he use a stick that is not optimal for slapshots or something like that, but he can still slam them in just nicely with the stick he uses. But something he should do more often considering how quickly he can get his shot off.

Someone needs to use their one-timer on the powerplay. Phaneuf and Franson never do. If they're going to make it so obvious that the puck is coming to Phil they should at least work the one timer once and a while to catch the D off guard

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I wonder if Kessel might benefiting from using different sticks and flexes depending on game situations. On a powerplay you might want to give yourself more looks than when you're more likely to be using the whippy stick off the rush.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I wonder if Kessel might benefiting from using different sticks and flexes depending on game situations. On a powerplay you might want to give yourself more looks than when you're more likely to be using the whippy stick off the rush.

His stick is instrumental to what makes him elite yo.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Someone needs to use their one-timer on the powerplay. Phaneuf and Franson never do. If they're going to make it so obvious that the puck is coming to Phil they should at least work the one timer once and a while to catch the D off guard

By stopping the puck, they give the opposition time to prepare for the shot. A one timer can sometimes catch the opposition off guard, especially the goalie.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
His stick is instrumental to what makes him elite yo.

I wonder how many of his annual 37 goals can be directly contributed to his custom made whippy stick that has the NHL's highest flex ratio.

If he used a normal stick like most of the league uses what would his goal totals be?

Kessel’s custom stick helps with deadly wrister

Notoriously picky with his sticks, Kessel and Easton stick supplier Brad Janson encouraged the company to develop a new weapon, the Stealth CX, customized to his shot, according to Ken Campbell of The Hockey News. Due to the quickness of Kessel’s release, he wanted extra strength at the stick’s hosel, the point where the blade meets the shaft. This is the weakest point in what you think is a “one-piece” stick but is actually two pieces fused together.

To meet Kessel’s needs, this past summer Easton crafted a true one-piece model that does not have a hosel, thus eliminating the weakest point in the stick and giving his shot more snap than a list of yo momma jokes

Even linemate James van Riemsdyk doesn’t think he could use it, but it works just fine for Kessel. “He’s got that smaller blade and whippy stick and he’s able to just use it like a slingshot,” van Riemsdyk told THN. “It’s the stick, but if you gave that stick to me, I wouldn’t be shooting it like that.”

Full Story: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/phil-kessel-toronto-maple-leafs-wrist-shot-best-how-to/

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
yeah, when the Kessel trade was first made, many thought the Leafs got the bad deal, I think most realize they were wrong, but many won't admit it.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
I wonder how many of his annual 37 goals can be directly contributed to his custom made whippy stick that has the NHL's highest flex ratio.

If he used a normal stick like most of the league uses what would his goal totals be?

Unless they change the rules to prevent Kessel from using the stick he does, who cares?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
yeah, when the Kessel trade was first made, many thought the Leafs got the bad deal, I think most realize they were wrong, but many won't admit it.

Agreed the evidence is right there as the player that leads the NHL in goals and points is living proof that the cost exceeded the return.

If you trade away the pick that results in costing you the NHL scoring leader there isn't really any reasonable doubt.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics

PS. That is only factoring in 1 of the 3 assets.

PPS. Kessel is doing an excellent job reducing the damages by his regular contributions, as the situation would be much worse without them and the trade even more lopsided.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Agreed the evidence is right there as the player that leads the NHL in goals and points is living proof that the cost exceeded the return.

If you trade away the pick that results in costing you the NHL scoring leader there isn't really any reasonable doubt.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/statistics

PS. That is only factoring in 1 of the 3 assets.

PPS. Kessel is doing an excellent job reducing the damages by his regular contributions, as the situation would be much worse without them and the trade even more lopsided.

Here is a mind explosion for you. We go back in time decline the deal and get different players through trade and FA and finish with the 10th pick instead of the 2nd OA.

We don't get Seguin and don't have Kessel.

headwire

Jan 25, 2012
Toronto
Here is a mind explosion for you. We go back in time decline the deal and get different players through trade and FA and finish with the 10th pick instead of the 2nd OA.

We don't get Seguin and don't have Kessel.

Agreed. I thought we were past the point of looking at the trade as Seguin+Hamilton+Knight for Kessel? The trade was two 1st and a 2nd for Kessel.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

Yes, clearly he is basically cheating and only performing well because of an unfair advantage over the rest of the league.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
His scoring is just fine. i just can't stand the way he avoids any contact and just gets rid of the puck at the sight of any tiny hit coming his way. it's pretty embarrassing at times. but then he ties games, pots in game winners and does a lot of scoring for us. i hope he grows his game.

I've heard rumors that he's injured. I wonder if thats the main reason for him shying even further away from contact these days. With how few games this guy has missed it's not a stretch to assume there's truth in them. Not that he's ever really been a power forward but it has been noticeable the past few games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad