Confirmed Trade: [PHI/TB] Streit (4.7% retained) for Filppula, 4th in 2017 & Cond. 7th in 2017

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I'm genuinely excited for this trade.

It's basically our free agent signing in the offseason, but we get to see him in action this season first.

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Excellent trade for both teams. Excited to have another capable center on the Flyers, which was a huge need. Hexy did a great job, just like Yzerman. Win-win. He should be great stop gap for us.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Tbay had too with all the signings needed next year . Filpula makes too much but it's only a year

backburner

May 6, 2011
NJ, USA
Tbay had too with all the signings needed next year . Filpula makes too much but it's only a year

I feel like the Flyers should have received something more than a 7th since 4th really was a swap for TBL. Not because Streit is worth more, but the fact we took the extra cap back.

But whatever, maybe Flip is that piece we need...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I feel like the Flyers should have received something more than a 7th since 4th really was a swap for TBL. Not because Streit is worth more, but the fact we took the extra cap back.

To me it's like they traded a 7th for free agent negotiating rights and signed Filppula for a 1 year 5mil deal, they just happen to get a 20 games tryout before hand.

The issue is see with Filpulla is he reminds me of Giroux and Vorachek as they're pass first guys so not sure this helps Philadelphia score more. I think he gets Schenn back to a 25 goals man if played with him.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
Journeyman bottom 6 player? Do you even know what either of those terms mean? He's played for 2 teams in his 11 year career, hardly a journeyman. He was 6th among TB forwards in ES and overall TOI this season. He's a high end middle 6 forward.

So because they chose to take on a 1 year contract instead of a long term contract it's a bad deal? They aren't contending next season but they clearly needed an upgrade at 3C so Filppula is the answer. He fills a void for one season and the year after when the Flyers are looking to contend they free up $5m in cap space and potentially move him at the deadline when he's more valuable than this year. If they would have grabbed a 3C in free agency it almost definitely wouldn't have been for 1 season. Typical cost would be $3-$4m for 3-4 years and with Rubtsov likely in the AHL next season, they only need a 1 year stop gap so it's perfect. You clearly don't know the Flyers situation at all.

The fact you think that the number of teams that he's played for is a rebuttal to him being called a journeyman demonstrates you don't know what the word means, champ. Here, I'll help:

2. any experienced, competent but routine worker or performer.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/journeyman

So yeah, that's pretty much it.

As for not knowing the situation, I know that the Flyers aren't going to be contenders next year, and I further know spending money on guys who aren't going to be around by the time they are isn't useful. But cool, Paul Holmgren nods appreciatively.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Swing and a miss.

They were desperate because they need the cap space. We don't need the space for ONE YEAR, but we do need the player.

Yeah, I don't get how anyone looks at these deals (Streit to TB then to PIT and Flippula to PHI) and see's a negative here. All 3 team came out ahead of where they were yesterday morning. PHI got a #2/3C on the cheap who's cap hit and NMC isn't an issue, TB got cap space and opened up an ED protection spot while PIT got a good NHL D on the cheap. I mean really... where's the negative here?

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
To me it's like they traded a 7th for free agent negotiating rights and signed Filppula for a 1 year 5mil deal, they just happen to get a 20 games tryout before hand.

The issue is see with Filpulla is he reminds me of Giroux and Vorachek as they're pass first guys so not sure this helps Philadelphia score more. I think he gets Schenn back to a 25 goals man if played with him.

Flip isn't a pass first guy.

He's a pass only guy.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009

Not trying to make Flyers fans feel bad about the trade because they shouldn't. Filppula is a good player to have on your team. I will just say that I thought TB would have to retain on him in order to move him. Possibly have to give a 3rd maybe a 2nd to move him without retention. But the Flyers were the perfect team to deal him to. Gives everyone something they need. Best deal of the TD day.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Win Win Win for all teams, but it still seems kind of funny that the Flyers Pens and Bolts couldn't just come together for a three way trade and it had to go through the Bolts.

Whether it's because the Flyers and Pens just hate each other so much or because the discussion to acquire Streit didn't get serious until he was traded to the Bolts, who knows.

Yzerman likes being the middle-man.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Wings fan.

You'll like him. Might not like the salary, but he's a useful player.

Can play all around the line-up.

Seriously. He will infuriate you by not shooting at very obvious times where someone should shoot, but if you put him with finishers/shoot first types, you've got a great little setup.

We've used him this season on every line, at center and on wing. Hes versatile.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Didn't realize is was 2013. The last 3 seasons he's gone 48, 31, and on pace for 43 this year, all while playing on a great team...but yeah, he's a 60-point per year guy, especially at age 33 when he'll have Raffl and Read and the other jobbers he'll be playing with next year. And I'm the one accused of hyperbole.
paced for 48, 33, and 47 points the last 3 years. If he can put up 40+ next season while killing penalties which is a huge need that's perfect for a 2nd/3rd line center.

You seem to be hung up on the money but money isn't an issue for every team. They have the space, they needed a center. It makes more sense to overpay for a guy with 1 year left in a year they have plenty of room than to overpay in FA and have to commit to someone for 3+ years when Rubtsov is likely a year away.

The fact you think that the number of teams that he's played for is a rebuttal to him being called a journeyman demonstrates you don't know what the word means, champ. Here, I'll help:

Though you may know how to google, you should also know that words have different meanings depending on the context. You and I both know that a journeyman in sports is typically a guy that jumps from team to team and plays a lesser role. Someone like Matt Cullen fits that description. If we're going to use your definition then we would see the word "veteran" used interchangeably with "journeyman".

As for not knowing the situation, I know that the Flyers aren't going to be contenders next year, and I further know spending money on guys who aren't going to be around by the time they are isn't useful. But cool, Paul Holmgren nods appreciatively.
Again, you don't seem to get it. How does a 1 year contract in a year where you just said they aren't contenders hurt them? What would hurt them would be signing a free agent in the offseason because they're almost always multi year deals. It's not like Hextall can just save cap space from next year and apply it to the '18-'19 season. They have the space, why wouldn't they use it. Sorry, not all teams are like yours where they tank every season if they don't have a superstar because nobody really cares anyway.

Last edited:

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Win Win Win for all teams, but it still seems kind of funny that the Flyers Pens and Bolts couldn't just come together for a three way trade and it had to go through the Bolts.

Whether it's because the Flyers and Pens just hate each other so much or because the discussion to acquire Streit didn't get serious until he was traded to the Bolts, who knows.

From a Flyers perspective, any trade involving the Penguins would mean sending the player over one body part at a time. ;)

Agreed on the win x 3 nature of this trade. It was shrewdly done by Yzerman and Hextall and Yzerman upped his smarts by dealing with Rutherford for a player they coveted. I'm disappointed this didn't get done a month ago when the Flyers weren't looking up past a pack of teams at a playoff spot.

CanuckistanFlyerfan

May 10, 2005

The Pens gave up an '18 4th for Streit with half his salary retained.

Philly got a '17 4th AND a 7th And Fillpula for Streit with 5% of his salary retained.

They weren't the same deals.

But you're right....win-win-win!

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Seriously. He will infuriate you by not shooting at very obvious times where someone should shoot, but if you put him with finishers/shoot first types, you've got a great little setup.

We've used him this season on every line, at center and on wing. Hes versatile.

Ya only thing I hate about him is he will indeed pass up odvious shots! and his salary is a little high if he was making 3.5 per year that would be the perfect cap hit for him. advice put him with snipers!

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Ya only thing I hate about him is he will indeed pass up odvious shots! and his salary is a little high if he was making 3.5 per year that would be the perfect cap hit for him. advice put him with snipers!

Sounds like a good match for Simmonds

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ

Yep, the definition of a classification of a skilled worker in a union workforce is completely applicable in the context of an athlete in sports. Who are the apprentice hockey players? Who are the master hockey players?

You could also try definition #3 from your link.

3. a person hired to do work for another, usually for a day at a time.

...Meaning they work for a lot of different people.

The fact that there's even a discussion on something as rudimentary and understood, and honestly completely unimportant, as the definition of a journeyman player in sports just serves as a reminder to me of why I stopped posting here in the first place.

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Seems like a good depth pick up for Philly. How far are they out? If it's not to far a guy like Flip can get them over the proverbial hump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad