Confirmed Trade: [PHI/TB] Streit (4.7% retained) for Filppula, 4th in 2017 & Cond. 7th in 2017

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I really hope he does well in Philly. He's a hard guy not to like. Seems like the ultimate pro. I wish him the best.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Good luck Flyer fans. Fippula will drive you absolutely ****ing CRAZY with his careless no-look passes and the fact he never shoots when given the opportunity. He'll rack up his 3 SOG on perimeter chances that never have a chance of going in. Oh he's a great penalty killer make no mistake. And make no mistake he'll win you a ton of important faceoffs. But for 2 years now this guy has been the embodiment of everything wrong with this team.

This is a hands down win for the Lightning no matter what way I look at it because this is addition by subtraction.
we are thrilled. In addition we will love it next year when maybe he fetches another 2nd/3rd when we trade him!

Tempered expections in a salary cap world!

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I'm happy that Hextall got a jump on the offseason. Yeah, Filppula's salary doesn't make him a bargain but I look at salary of coveted FA to take a leap this offseason because of Vegas needing to fill out their roster with quality. To tell you the truth I didn't like many of the deals handed out to FA last offseason. With that in mind I like the deal, it helps us. I'm in the like it for the Flyers and TB camp.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
We needed a #2/3 c and a good Dman going into next season. One of those things are now taken care of at the cost of only Streit. Plus we added picks. Plus we could always Flip Filp next year if we wish. Good asset mgt by Hextall on this deal

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I'm happy that Hextall got a jump on the offseason. Yeah, Filppula's salary doesn't make him a bargain but I look at salary of coveted FA to take a leap this offseason because of Vegas needing to fill out their roster with quality. To tell you the truth I didn't like many of the deals handed out to FA last offseason. With that in mind I like the deal, it helps us. I'm in the like it for the Flyers and TB camp.

Especially with Berglund and Smith having re-signed.

The options for 3C next year were diminishing quickly... which in turn means over-payments in either years or dollar.

Filppula is pretty much the perfect stop-gap. Yeh, he is overpaid by ~$1m... but the Flyers will have ~$5m room next year anyway with a 23 man roster!

Makes the top 9 for next year look pretty good on paper and allows Rubtsov and Vorobyov to develop at own pace.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Who will Filppula play with? You don't have many goal scorers and he's best with someone who can shoot, not seeing too many good wing options for him.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
yeah it was a dumb comment. Also what kind of bottom six player puts up 60 points 2 years in a row? Middle six is more appropriate.

People just love to **** on positivity.

Didn't realize is was 2013. The last 3 seasons he's gone 48, 31, and on pace for 43 this year, all while playing on a great team...but yeah, he's a 60-point per year guy, especially at age 33 when he'll have Raffl and Read and the other jobbers he'll be playing with next year. And I'm the one accused of hyperbole.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Who will Filppula play with? You don't have many goal scorers and he's best with someone who can shoot, not seeing too many good wing options for him.

This year the top nine wingers (with Raffl out injured) are most likely:

Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Konecny, Read, Weise/Cousins/Weal.

Next year the top nine wingers are most likely:

Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn, Konecny, Lindblom, Raffl.

I imagine he will get shuffled around and Giroux, Couturier and Filppula will see different wingers at different times.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

It really depends on what they want to do. General logic is he'll play 3C, ease Couturiers defensive minutes bit, and allow him to be used in a more offensive role. However, depending on how he meshes, I could see a situation where they put Couturier in as a 3C and let Flip play with some combination of Simmonds,Svhenn, konecny or possibly Voracek.

The former is the more likely scenario though, which means he'll probably be a 30-40 point guy,, but that's ok by me.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
dumb move by Flyers excellent move by Wings GM.
Got rid of salary with NMC and got cap flexibility.

Not sure what Flyers did and why? I wish Hextall did nothing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
dumb move by Flyers excellent move by Wings GM.
Got rid of salary with NMC and got cap flexibility.

Not sure what Flyers did and why? I wish Hextall did nothing.

Break it down real simple for you. Acquired a 2/3C for next year, along with a couple of picks, for a UFA we didn't need.

The NMC has no bearing since we aren't going to lose anyone important from the draft.

Edit: Also, not sure what Ken Holland has to do with this. At all.

Last edited:

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Yup, Couturier should fit in better in the bottom 6
yup.. 1st line center can barely manage 20 goals
2nd line center Filppula scored 15 (and counting) in last two seasons
Couturier is good for 15 goals..

wow.. Pittsburgh, Caps, Toronto better look out. Such a depth at center.

JABEE

Feb 12, 2010
Philadelphia
I like Filppula. His salary is a bit high, but he's only locked in for one year. I wish the Flyers would have been able to get some more picks for their other rentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad