Confirmed with Link: (PHI/STL) Kevin Hayes (50%) to STL for a 2024 6th round pick

Mar 6, 2012
Seems like we're collecting outcasts and goofballs... I like this in that it tells me we're probably going for a full rebuild instead of slapping on band-aides in an attempt to squeeze in a few more years of being a playoff bubble team... we'll have a better idea of the teams direction after the draft, but most likely we're in for a rough couple of years...

Reactions: Ezpez

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Hey my friends,

Just heard about this and dropping by to say congratulations!

I think Hayes will really benefit from a change of scenery & his AAV with that retention is great value.

Nice work by GMDA.

Hope you’re all having a good Late Spring/ early Summer with your families.

Cheers
Spring isn't real. We only get Winter, Summer, and Fall.

Lol hope you are being well GP!

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
Spring isn't real. We only get Winter, 2 weeks of good convertible weather, Early Summer, Summer, Indian Summer, Fall-ish and 2 months of questionable sledding.
FIFY

Hard to argue getting a ~50 point guy for 3.5 mil the next 3 years for basically nothing.

Tells me ROR was asking for well beyond what I'd be comfortable giving him at this stage of his career. Very low risk move.

Now do you go get an Acciari/Sunny to solidify your 4th line?
I didn't think they could talk to ROR yet as he's still Toronto property and that would be tampering?

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
It is amusing that this morphed from something I didn’t like to something I’m like 95% fine with.

It doesn’t solve our problems by any means, and I’d still prefer not trading for a forward in his thirties to try to fix this team, but we gave up nothing for a solid mid 6 player forward at 3.5 mill a season. Zero problem at al with the value even if it isn’t a needle mover.

oPlaiD

Dec 3, 2007
Well I guess I was wrong when I said the only reason Hayes was involved was to facilitate moving Krug as part of the trade for Sanheim.

But I guess I can get behind this since the price seems solid. Pretty certain Hayes would get more than what we're paying him if he was an FA right now.

I don't know the intricacies of how retention works for further trades, but I assume we can move him as someone with the contract we're paying him? Similar to Kapanen and Vrana seems like we could gain some value in another future deal after putting the player in a better situation if we end up in a selling position again.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Not a move that’s going to really move the needle but he’s fine at $3.6M. We needed a C. Another stopgap measure.

Might still need another C. An Acciari or Kampf type.

Reactions: mk80

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Seems like we're collecting outcasts and goofballs... I like this in that it tells me we're probably going for a full rebuild instead of slapping on band-aides in an attempt to squeeze in a few more years of being a playoff bubble team... we'll have a better idea of the teams direction after the draft, but most likely we're in for a rough couple of years...
We shall see.

I don’t think the forward group is bad, just super mediocre until proven otherwise and already know the decencies with the defense.

If a player like Sanheim or similar caliber can be acquired, this team should be a fringe PO team for 2 years before being able to contend in 2025-2026.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
We shall see.

I don’t think the forward group is bad, just super mediocre until proven otherwise and already know the decencies with the defense.

If a player like Sanheim or similar caliber can be acquired, this team should be a fringe PO team for 2 years before being able to contend in 2025-2026.

Pick up Sunny, dump Krug, get Sanheim or Hanifan, if our new coaches work out I think we'd be pretty good. 2nd round easy, MAYBE 3rd with some luck. Cup very doubtful.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Love it. Now what to do about the defense? Feels like Krug HAS to go somewhere. I think the offense is great. Truly. Just fix the mess of a defense:

Vrana-Thomas-Kyrou
Buchnevich-Schenn-Saad
Kapanen-Hayes-Neighbors
Blais-Sunny (yep!)-Torpo
Alexandrov

That's a pretty solid group IMO. And who knows maybe Bolduc even makes the team. But probably first callup.

But the defense...Man oh man.

Leddy-Parayko
Perunovich-Faulk
Bortuzzo-Tucker

Binny-Hofer

Lets say someone takes Krug and we retain 50% for basically nothing. Then this is basically what you're looking at with about 3 mil available in cap. I'd love to see them trade a late first (or both) for a D at 50% retained. Even if it's not a truly special player.
Solud group.

That is worst group since 2007-08. Bottom of central.

#1-#2 avs, dal
#3 min
#4-#5 jets, preds
#6-#8 stl, chi, arz

We might heading to time when Dallas Drake was our captain.

I dont see this team go deep run playoffs in decade. Need to hit bottom before we can draft top severaltimes and get very lucky. You Just dont draft Pietro type of players every draft or even 5-year span.

Zero optimistic Army can retool this team if not it will take even more time to rebound team back to win culture.

I will watch games and cheers, but not optimistic at all.

Interesting to watch our prospects how they develope.

Reactions: Ted Hoffman

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
Hard to argue getting a ~50 point guy for 3.5 mil the next 3 years for basically nothing.

Tells me ROR was asking for well beyond what I'd be comfortable giving him at this stage of his career. Very low risk move.

Now do you go get an Acciari/Sunny to solidify your 4th line?
sunny 10000000%

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
So I needed to inhale some copium the last few days to make me feel better about all the rumors and I came across this.

Kevin Hayes is funny, I will give him that.

Reactions: Spicy Panger

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Not a move that’s going to really move the needle but he’s fine at $3.6M. We needed a C. Another stopgap measure.

Might still need another C. An Acciari or Kampf type.
Im expecting us to sign Sunny for the 4th line C.
I will be shocked if we don't have Sunny signed day 1 of free agency. He's been living it up around town since the Wild flamed out in the first round (again).

Reactions: eibyyz

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I will be shocked if we don't have Sunny signed day 1 of free agency. He's been living it up around town since the Wild flamed out in the first round (again).
My favorite story from following CITY is Joakim Nilsson, who should still be our star CB when he returns, saying Steen and specifically Sunqvist were some of the biggest helps in convincing him that St. Louis is where he should go. Steen was to be expected, but Sunny did it while not playing for the Blues. Crazy how much he loves this town.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
So after this trade, Blues currently have 21 players signed.

11 fowards
8 defense
2 goalies

We have roughly 2.4 mill to play with to sign 2 more forwards with one being Toropchenko. So roughly 1.5 mill to sign 1 more foward unless a trade happens which is expected with 8 dman under 1 way deals.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I can't tell if this trade is an indicator of an organization clown show or the reaction of some of the fanbase to the trade itself is the clown show.

Time will tell. I know nothing, but I'm willing to watch with popcorn in hand.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
So after this trade, Blues currently have 21 players signed.

11 fowards
8 defense
2 goalies

We have roughly 2.4 mill to play with to sign 2 more forwards with one being Toropchenko. So roughly 1.5 mill to sign 1 more foward unless a trade happens which is expected with 8 dman under 1 way deals.

Looks like we need to move out more than just Krug if want trade and sign a legit 1LD

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
At least we're getting movable pieces. Kap, Vrana, and eventually Hayes (with another 50% retained) should fetch decent returns in trades if we keep sucking.

ezcreepin

Dec 5, 2016
I can't tell if this trade is an indicator of an organization clown show or the reaction of some of the fanbase to the trade itself is the clown show.

Time will tell. I know nothing, but I'm willing to watch with popcorn in hand.
You need character guys and then you need guys who can lighten the room. Guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Schenn, Buch, and Vrana dont really seem like guys who lighten the mood. Honestly, I think guys like Reaves and Maroon really help the locker room aside from their physical presence on the ice. I think they're less important than the strong character guys like Toews, O'Reilly, Tavares, etc, but I think they can make teams better by just being there. Hayes is a player who can make a joke and lighten the mood, can score 50 points, and plays center. Probably fills multiple needs they lacked/are lacking.

Reactions: Blueston

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
You need character guys and then you need guys who can lighten the room. Guys like Thomas, Kyrou, Schenn, Buch, and Vrana dont really seem like guys who lighten the mood. Honestly, I think guys like Reaves and Maroon really help the locker room aside from their physical presence on the ice. I think they're less important than the strong character guys like Toews, O'Reilly, Tavares, etc, but I think they can make teams better by just being there. Hayes is a player who can make a joke and lighten the mood, can score 50 points, and plays center. Probably fills multiple needs they lacked/are lacking.
Disagree on Schenn, Buch and Vrana. That is what they are known for.

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
Hayes for a 6th at 50% retention is a pretty good deal for us. Who cares about a 6th, that's a magic bean. Hayes at 3.5 is a reasonable cost compared to what you can get in UFA, and there's no prospect in our system that's projected to slot into a 3C role this year or possibly next. With the possibility of us retaining on Hayes again, dropping his cap hit to 1.75 for a year or two......I know the cap is expected to go up next year and the year following, but offering any team a 1.75 middle 6 C for two playoff runs has massive value if he can put up ~20g and ~50 points.

Tidy bit of work there by Armstrong. Still looks like a dumbass with the Krug situation, but this is (maybe) a better deal for us in the long run.

Now let's focus on Chabot.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad