Confirmed with Link: (PHI/STL) Kevin Hayes (50%) to STL for a 2024 6th round pick

illininer

Apr 30, 2014
Illinois
Hard to argue getting a ~50 point guy for 3.5 mil the next 3 years for basically nothing.

Tells me ROR was asking for well beyond what I'd be comfortable giving him at this stage of his career. Very low risk move.

Now do you go get an Acciari/Sunny to solidify your 4th line?

Reactions: Blueston and mk80

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
Hard to argue getting a ~50 point guy for 3.5 mil the next 3 years for basically nothing.

Tells me ROR was asking for well beyond what I'd be comfortable giving him at this stage of his career. Very low risk move.

Maybe but I would think there are bigger fish to fry first..

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Not sure you can do that unless it’s for a guy like Brodie. You can’t really afford to add another large defense contract. Having 30m+ tied to 5 defenders with term certainly shouldn’t be considered
We currently have $3.935M in space with 4 empty roster spots. Fill all 4 with league minimum guys and that leaves you with $835k in cap space with 23 men on the roster. If you move Scandella for a LD, that means you can fit any LD with a $4.11M or smaller cap hit without making any other moves. Waiving Bortz and replacing him with Perunovich (or a league-minimum Tucker) would get you another $175k.

If we're talking short term (1-2 year term on the contract), then it is reasonable to assume that you can get a team to retain some money on a deal.

Realistically, pretty much any short term solution making $6M or less should theoretically be on the table if it is Scandella plus futures going the other way. I'd prefer to be patient and find a longer0term solution, but the cap space we have makes a shorter term solution doable.

Reactions: mk80

04hockey

Sep 28, 2017
Solid add. Hayes' poor play has been overstated given the awful hand he's been dealt the last two seasons on ice and off. Well worth $3.6M.

I'm excited to see what he can do for us.
You couldn't be more right ..... he'll be at least a 60 pt. player, probably more

the plandemic, AV being fired, his injury, his brothers passing and relationship with Torts .....

I hope and expect he'll be better in a Blues uni :nod:

Flyers got ripped :confused:

Reactions: Reality Czech

BleedBlue14

UrGeNcY
Feb 9, 2017
St. Louis
We currently have $3.935M in space with 4 empty roster spots. Fill all 4 with league minimum guys and that leaves you with $835k in cap space with 23 men on the roster. If you move Scandella for a LD, that means you can fit any LD with a $4.11M or smaller cap hit without making any other moves. Waiving Bortz and replacing him with Perunovich (or a league-minimum Tucker) would get you another $175k.

If we're talking short term (1-2 year term on the contract), then it is reasonable to assume that you can get a team to retain some money on a deal.

Realistically, pretty much any short term solution making $6M or less should theoretically be on the table if it is Scandella plus futures going the other way. I'd prefer to be patient and find a longer0term solution, but the cap space we have makes a shorter term solution doable.

I tend to agree not trying to stop gap it anymore. However, I’m not overly optimistic that moving Scandella will be as easy as I had originally thought it would be 2 weeks ago.

We’re going to have to find a team that is willing to absorb cap in a downgrade. I’m not sure how many teams have that ability while having a LD that would fill the need

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis

Ahhh...this is plan B because ROR is too expensive.

Bummer

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
can't complain about the price, like the retention, but hayes isn't that good on the dot so even if he scores more, it's gonna be a struggle bus at times

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
Love it. Now what to do about the defense? Feels like Krug HAS to go somewhere. I think the offense is great. Truly. Just fix the mess of a defense:

Vrana-Thomas-Kyrou
Buchnevich-Schenn-Saad
Kapanen-Hayes-Neighbors
Blais-Sunny (yep!)-Torpo
Alexandrov

That's a pretty solid group IMO. And who knows maybe Bolduc even makes the team. But probably first callup.

But the defense...Man oh man.

Leddy-Parayko
Perunovich-Faulk
Bortuzzo-Tucker

Binny-Hofer

Lets say someone takes Krug and we retain 50% for basically nothing. Then this is basically what you're looking at with about 3 mil available in cap. I'd love to see them trade a late first (or both) for a D at 50% retained. Even if it's not a truly special player.

Reactions: mk80

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I tend to agree not trying to stop gap it anymore. However, I’m not overly optimistic that moving Scandella will be as easy as I had originally thought it would be 2 weeks ago.

We’re going to have to find a team that is willing to absorb cap in a downgrade. I’m not sure how many teams have that ability while having a LD that would fill the need
I don't think Scandella would be at all difficult to move. He's very much a #5 D man at 5 on 5 and he is very capable of being a top unit PK guy.

There is only 1 more year left on his deal and there are currently 94 D men locked in at a higher cap hit than him for 2023/24. He will absolutely be outside the top 100 after the first day of free agency and I'd bet money that worse D men get paid more AAV and more uncomfortable term as free agents this summer. If he hit UFA this Saturday, I think there is a very, very, very good chance that he would get offers north of $3.275M if he told teams he was willing to take a 1 year deal. I don't think his contract is an overpay for the player that he is right now.

If a team is just looking to sell their LD for straight futures, it should be pretty simple to move Scandella to a different team. I think he is either a positive-value asset or a zero-value (could be given away for nothing) asset at the moment.

Leddy-Parayko
Perunovich-Faulk
Bortuzzo-Tucker

Binny-Hofer

Lets say someone takes Krug and we retain 50% for basically nothing. Then this is basically what you're looking at with about 3 mil available in cap. I'd love to see them trade a late first (or both) for a D at 50% retained. Even if it's not a truly special player.
Marco Scandella is still under contract too. I don't think we have any interest in moving Krug with 50% retention. But even if we did, you still need to include Scandella in the above group. If you think Scandella is moved as well, then you are suddenly looking at about $7M in available cap space for that LD add you are discussing.

Reactions: mk80 and Blueston

Vektor

Jun 11, 2018
Love it. Now what to do about the defense? Feels like Krug HAS to go somewhere. I think the offense is great. Truly. Just fix the mess of a defense:

Vrana-Thomas-Kyrou
Buchnevich-Schenn-Saad
Kapanen-Hayes-Neighbors
Blais-Sunny (yep!)-Torpo
Alexandrov

That's a pretty solid group IMO. And who knows maybe Bolduc even makes the team. But probably first callup.

Leddy-Parayko
Perunovich-Faulk
Bortuzzo-Tucker

Binny-Hofer

The offense is closer to being a playoff bubble group than it is great.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis
IMO this is an excellent deal for us. I can live with a meh 3c for only 3.5m/aav and he was basically free.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
So they're using up one of their retention slots for the next 3 years to just give Hayes away to us?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad