Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] Kevin Hayes signs (7 Years, $7.14M AAV)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Other than his contract year, Hayes has been a 2/3 C tweener his whole career. 7x7 is a gamble any way you slice it.

Reactions: BHD

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Lol, and people said Draisaitl at 8.5 was bad.
By being overpaid he made himself not overpaid. He's the one who drove up the market. Man Chiarelli was bad. It's like if Colorado paid MacKinnon 9 Million back then, he'd still be considered a good contract now but overpaid when it was signed.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Other than his contract year, Hayes has been a 2/3 C tweener his whole career. 7x7 is a gamble any way you slice it.

Majority of his points came playing an absurd 19:27 per game with the Rangers.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
The owners spend 50% of revenue regardless of how much or how little Hayes gets paid.

I know but when players like Hayes makes that much, its not a good sign. The GMs are backing themselves into a corner IMO The pressure to win now is overtaking the the future. Just my opinion, seems crazy with these amounts, it seems the Cap is not growing in line with the contracts

Sorry

May 18, 2005
I had to read the headline a three or four times to be sure I wasn't reading it wrong. If the term was four or five years I could see an overpayment around 6.5AAV. But seven years? Ludicrous.

Get rid of the Andrew Macdonald contract only to replace it with a new albatross a few days later. What in the world.

OTC

Jul 11, 2018
A few seasons ago there were some 6x6 (ish) contracts that turned into killers. Lucic, Ericsson, Ladd. Here we are about to see some of these killer contracts cranked up to 7.

I like Kevin Hayes fine enough. But 7x7 is what you'd expect to pay a core piece. I don't think a 55 point 2nd line C is a core piece. I hope he turns himself into a core guy, but he should have established that already before the payday, in my opinion.

But I remember saying that Patrick Sharp signing a 4x4 with Chicago back in like 2009 meant that things were getting out of control. So I guess it's just expected that the numbers will continue to go up. It's probably time to stop being surprised by this.
Hawks/ Sharp also won multiple cups

Last edited:

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I think it is too much $ for a guy that doesn't have much room to improve offensively and isn’t stellar defensively... but why acquire is right too sign him to a 7years deal... you had the option to go to 8 years to spread de cap hit... 50M$ for 8 years is still too much but it might help it make it more manageable...

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I’m willing to bet that 100% of his points came during his 19:27 of avg ice time.

The majority of his points in last year’s career year of 54 points came with the Rangers, in which he averaged an extremely high 19:27 of icetime per game. It is also his only season of more than 50 points.

Better?

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
So the Flyers got a signed Hayes for a 5th? Pretty good deal. He's a center right? Centers always make more than you think they should. If he can be a good center with his size I think this helps Philly. But I'm no capologist.

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
By being overpaid he made himself not overpaid. He's the one who drove up the market. Man Chiarelli was bad. It's like if Colorado paid MacKinnon 9 Million back then, he'd still be considered a good contract now but overpaid when it was signed.
Emphasis added.

There's a weird coincidence in here, maybe the makings of a satirical joke. This is awfully similar to executive pay in the corporate world. Huge factor of "rising costs".

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Does anyone know of NMC or NTC clauses? I'd assume there are none, which is why we are paying him 7 mil a season. If there are none, completely fine with the deal. He'll be in Seattle in 2 years if that's the case.

Reactions: FlyguyOX

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
JVR is significantly better and got less money and term from the same team.
and JVR is also one way player that brings nothing on D. So if you look at points per games sure... JVR is better was older and under smaller cap and probably wanted to come to his old team. Hayes still overpaid.. no question about it.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Above average 2way 2C - Check
Helps PK and drives play? - Check if keeps up last years pace. Him and Coots on PK phewwww.
Seattle Expansion - Expose Voracek, JVR, Hayes (If Frost/Patrick are ready to step up). Cap solved.

I like this signing alot more than if we had signed Duchene for an albatross of an overpayment for an extremely one-dimensional Elite 2C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad