Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] James van Riemsdyk signs with the Flyers (5 years, $7M AAV)

Cotton

May 13, 2013
Kane is a much better all-round player who can defend and drive play even when he’s not scoring goals on the PP.

JVR is going to be getting paid 7 million are year when he’s 33, no longer on the top powerplay and scoring 12 goals while being a defensive liability at even strength. If his poor play in his own end pisses of the coach and he looses that spot on the first PP he could drop below 20 goals in year 1.

Lol, no, he’s not scoring under 20. He’s money for at least 20.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
This will be my last post as I don't want to derail the JVR discussion but;

1. We have no power if Ottawa is willing to trade him to us nor if he makes it to free agency for the Leafs to get him;
2. If Ottawa is willing to trade him to us who says we have the pieces they want OR if Karlsson would want to sign here if he made it as a free agent.

if you want more information on how Tavares helps the Leafs defense then look at this post;

https://hfboards.mandatory.com/posts/147753517/

Leafs did the right thing rather than waiting on dream aka Karlsson.

Its not good planning/business to refuse a free car because you already have two cars in hopes that your dream motorcycle is available and you hope you have enough money in your budget to acquire the motorcycle. You take the "free" asset and fill your other needs through trades and signings.

I could argue that Philly could have used Karlsson more than JVR and they should have used assets and the cap space to acquire Karlsson instead of more wing help.

Philly may have the least need for EK looking ahead. We have someone who is as productive and is payed around 1/3 what EK could get. Philly really doesn’t have a lot of holes with their roster and prospects. Back to the thread...JVR fills their biggest hole perfectly. Size, scoring, 5-5 production and LW.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Is this the projected top six?

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Patrick - Simmonds

What the hell does the bottom six look like? Wasn't that a big weakness for the team last season?

The big weakness was that the coach thought that Val Filppula & Jori Lehtera were 3rd line forwards and played them as such. Lack of forward depth is a temporary problem (lots of prospects coming) exacerbated by poor coaching. Frost & Vorobyev might play their way into the open C slot in training camp but we'll see.

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Kane is a much better all-round player who can defend and drive play even when he’s not scoring goals on the PP.

JVR is going to be getting paid 7 million are year when he’s 33, no longer on the top powerplay and scoring 12 goals while being a defensive liability at even strength. If his poor play in his own end pisses of the coach and he looses that spot on the first PP he could drop below 20 goals in year 1.
Much better player than who? JVR? How is Evander Kane better than JVR?

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
(Us) Leafs fans will tell you that he gives you everything there but size - unless the only thing that matters is his height. He doesn't really use his size to his advantage in most circumstances. Around the net? Sure. Anywhere else? Meh.

Sounds pretty much like how he left off in Philly

Except he uses his size SOMEWHERE for a change

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
That’s the open market. You are about to sign a guy in his low 20s to the same deal that you signed a guy approaching 30. If it’s within your cap, it’s the right move. I’m not entirely sure Tavares was the right move for the leafs with EK available.
Leafs turned EK into a victim last year. Marner ate his lunch. The year before that, Matthews scored 4 goals in his NHL debut against Sens. There are 4 leafs defensemen that played against tougher competition on average that him (as measure by QoC) He isn't too impressive to this leaf fan. He is a really good forward playing a defensive position. I'm happy with a first line center...thanks.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
JVR fills their biggest hole perfectly. Size, scoring, 5-5 production and LW.

20 of his 54 points where on the PP this year and not to cherry pick 82 of his 262 points over the past 5 years were on the PP(roughly 1/3). Anybody who signs JVR better view him as part of your first unit PP or his usefulness decreases

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
(Us) Leafs fans will tell you that he gives you everything there but size - unless the only thing that matters is his height. He doesn't really use his size to his advantage in most circumstances. Around the net? Sure. Anywhere else? Meh.

He's not a physical player. Never has been, never will be. That of course flies in the face of the expectation that physicality is strictly ties into height/weight.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
20 of his 54 points where on the PP this year and not to cherry pick 82 of his 262 points over the past 5 years were on the PP(roughly 1/3). Anybody who signs JVR better view him as part of your first unit PP or his usefulness decreases

Assuming he continues that trend, and his scoring pace, thats approximately 40 (60 pts x .7) of even strength productin we dont have today. Sounds like a win.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
We didnt need him at a discount. We needed him on shorter term so we werent stuck with dead cap space when he was not productive and playing 3rd line minutes behind the new core.
I understand that. I just think he might have turned down better offers to play with the Flyers

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

The salient point here is JVR didn't have very many assists. He did though have 25 even strength goals..........(which I suppose doesn't fit the narrative here).

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I understand that. I just think he might have turned down better offers to play with the Flyers

Entirely possible - he may have wanted to be closer to home, or whathave you. Flyers are a young and upcoming team as well, so, depending on the other suitors, that may have factored in as well.

HogTown06

Jul 20, 2012
Hammonds Plains
Fun player to watch, I'm sad he won't be a Leaf anymore, I was always amazed by his ability to score in close quarters.

Best of luck to JVR and the Flyers! (unless they are playing Toronto of course)

Reactions: onlylordsvsmorebp

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad