Confirmed Signing with Link: [PHI] James van Riemsdyk signs with the Flyers (5 years, $7M AAV)

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
LOL. Yeah, and the anti-Leaf guys haven't been horrible to us for decades now. That's right.

I mean, even if your version of the universe is the one we live in - and it's not, but whatever - why the f*** do you care so much? You're literally saying that you're going to be a raging flatulent asshole because other people have been raging flatulent assholes to you. That shit's a waste of time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
$7m for a support player seems all kinds of wrong to me.

this is a guy I wanted moved even when he was making $4.5.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
What? Giroux and him are very good friends. Reports are that Giroux helped bring JVR back to Philly. The one chirp about being a Pigeon was a chirp.... Giroux is a huge chirper.

Yep. I remember the round table where Seguin said about Giroux being one of the nicest guys around when off ice... but does not shut up on ice, gets you off your game and generally pisses you off.

"Just a dirty little chippy player."

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

We just saw what star players are getting when Tavares and Doughty signed. That's not JvR and it's not close to what he signed for.

Look at the deals Statsny, Neal, and Hertl just signed which were all between $5.63 and $6.5m. Those guys are all 45-50 point players who score around 20 goals a year. JvR is a 55-60 point player good for around 30 goals. That 10 extra points and 10 extra goals is worth the additional $500k-$1.3m a year.

Then there's Evander Kane who nobody wanted around here just a few months back. He got $7m for 7 years.

We all know what we're getting with JvR, we had him before. He can slot into the 2nd/3rd line and either drastically help the terrible PP2 or play on the 1st unit which will let Simmonds help the 2nd unit. We didn't get him to PK.

Gone are the days that top line players sign for $7m.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We just saw what star players are getting when Tavares and Doughty signed. That's not JvR and it's not close to what he signed for.

Look at the deals Statsny, Neal, and Hertl just signed which were all between $5.63 and $6.5m. Those guys are all 45-50 point players who score around 20 goals a year. JvR is a 55-60 point player good for around 30 goals. That 10 extra points and 10 extra goals is worth the additional $500k-$1.3m a year.

Then there's Evander Kane who nobody wanted around here just a few months back. He got $7m for 7 years.

We all know what we're getting with JvR, we had him before. He can slot into the 2nd/3rd line and either drastically help the terrible PP2 or play on the 1st unit which will let Simmonds help the 2nd unit. We didn't get him to PK.

Gone are the days that top line players sign for $7m.

yeah those other deals are bad too.

well except stastny's - that's a very good deal for a frontline center who has always played against top competition.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

That’s the open market. You are about to sign a guy in his low 20s to the same deal that you signed a guy approaching 30. If it’s within your cap, it’s the right move. I’m not entirely sure Tavares was the right move for the leafs with EK available.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

well except stastny's - that's a very good deal for a frontline center who has always played against top competition.
Haha I remember when I was like you when the cap first came out. It’s odd to still be that way after all of these years though. Are you new?

Reactions: Rebels57

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Haha I remember when I was like you when the cap first came out. It’s odd to still be that way after all of these years though. Are you new?

Is this your thing? to try to childishly insult anyone who dares criticize this signing?

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

I mean, they may be bad in your opinion but when multiple different GMs sign multiple different players of similar production to similar contracts, it's not bad, it's called market value.

Also, it's been 5 years since Stastny even scored 20 goals or 60 points. He's not going to be a 1C in Vegas. He also wasn't in Winnipeg or St. Louis last year. If your frontline center is Stastny, your team sucks.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I mean, they may be bad in your opinion but when multiple different GMs sign multiple different players of similar production to similar contracts, it's not bad, it's called market value.

Also, it's been 5 years since Stastny even scored 20 goals or 60 points. He's not going to be a 1C in Vegas. He also wasn't in Winnipeg or St. Louis last year. If your frontline center is Stastny, your team sucks.

that's a weird criticism - since you just admitted he won't be their #1 C.

what stastny has proven, though, is that he's a 60ish pt center with good possession numbers even when playing against top competition night in night out.

he's not a guy who needed sheltering to perform like that.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA

what stastny has proven, though, is that he's a 60ish pt center with good possession numbers even when playing against top competition night in night out.

He’s not a 1C, so he needs sheltering. JVR, is not a 1LW, so he needs sheltering.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
That’s the open market. You are about to sign a guy in his low 20s to the same deal that you signed a guy approaching 30. If it’s within your cap, it’s the right move. I’m not entirely sure Tavares was the right move for the leafs with EK available.

You take the bird in the hand. Do you say no to a star that is willing to come here for free in terms of no assets and only money in hopes that your division rival trades you EK? Absolutely ludicrous to say no to John Tavares in hopes that you can trade for one guy or that he becomes a free agent.

A lot of fans were hoping for OEL and Doughty and they didnt make it to the market. I rather not wait on someone else especially when your division rival is holding the "piece" you say they "want/need" and that same piece may not make it to the market. If/when EK gets traded then he is likely signing and extension with that team and you waited for nothing.

Reactions: Flair Hay

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013

Where did I criticize him? I simply said he's not a 1C because you said he's a frontline center. He's not.

And no, Stastny hasn't proven that. He's proven over the last 4 years that he's a 15-20 goal, 50ish point center that play a solid but certainly not great two way game. The last time Stastny scored 60 points JvR also scored 30 goals and 60 points while playing top line minutes. So if we're going to live in the past when Stastny was a top line center shouldn't we do the same with JvR?

I get it, you prefer a 2C/3C that plays solid D and chips in 50 points. We needed a goal scoring winger and help on the PP. Your preference is not more valuable just because it's what you like.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Contract is fine, if it is an over payment it's not by much. With JVR's style, he should have no problem maintaining his production for the full contract.

Reactions: Rebels57

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He’s not a 1C, so he needs sheltering. JVR, is not a 1LW, so he needs sheltering.

nope.

Stastny scores at a good 2nd line rate, with good possession, but he does that with no sheltering - facing 1st line competition.

JVR scores a a good 2nd line rate, with good possession, but he does that only in a sheltered role - facing 3rd line competition.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Where did I criticize him? I simply said he's not a 1C because you said he's a frontline center. He's not.

And no, Stastny hasn't proven that. He's proven over the last 4 years that he's a 15-20 goal, 50ish point center that play a solid but certainly not great two way game. The last time Stastny scored 60 points JvR also scored 30 goals and 60 points while playing top line minutes. So if we're going to live in the past when Stastny was a top line center shouldn't we do the same with JvR?

I get it, you prefer a 2C/3C that plays solid D and chips in 50 points. We needed a goal scoring winger and help on the PP. Your preference is not more valuable just because it's what you like.

again, Stastny and JVR have both performed similarly the past few years, but Stastny has done that against top line competition, while JVR has done it against 3rd line competition.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad