Waived: [PHI] Flyers waive Shayne Gostisbehere (cleared)

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
The system we used last year, was abandoned by AV in the bubble and we have been a mess ever since. And it's not to say that the players have no blame, because they do.

But the Flyers have played 17 games this month...15 of them we allowed 3 goals or more.

Also set a franchise record for most goals allowed in a month and worst GAA in a month.

That's shit coaching.

interested in hearing your explanation for the rest of this season? Before March, when AV was the coach and they had a fairly good record. might be good for a few more laughs out of you

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
interested in hearing your explanation for the rest of this season? Before March, when AV was the coach and they had a fairly good record. might be good for a few more laughs out of you
If you like fancy stats, the stats were saying we were playing like garbage but still getting wins due to unsustainable shooting.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
You want some good laughs.....you should ask him to share his theory with you about how Ghost was waived out of spite because he said critical things about the team.

Holy Slapshot

Feb 16, 2012
Icy Cold Catacombs
Well I have to admit his defensive play isn't good at the moment, however with solid shutdown type next to him and on the PP unit he may be still very useful. Also his salary is not too lavish for what he brings. His un-claim is only one of those anomalies happening because of flat cap nowdays, but I'm still shocked.

Ajaton Azer

A small hamster
Dec 5, 2005
Spandex
I think that when you score 13 + 52 = 65 in a season from defensive end, you can not be a very bad player three years after that as a 27 year old. It seems that most hockey GMs don't understand hard statistics.

Reactions: Holy Slapshot

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Well I have to admit his defensive play isn't good at the moment, however with solid shutdown type next to him and on the PP unit he may be still very useful. Also his salary is not too lavish for what he brings. His un-claim is only one of those anomalies happening because of flat cap nowdays, but I'm still shocked.

Shocked as a Detroit fan doesn't quite cover it, I am more angry about this one given our salary flexibility and commitments moving forward. It makes no sense to me whatsoever that we passed on this, given the product we have had to watch the last two years I am really disappointed that Yzerman and probably a little more importantly Chris Ilitch didn't step up to the plate and get some help. The younger guys on our team are regressing, they need more help, not impressed with passing on what Ghost can bring for us, really pissed about that decision.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Deep?! Regarding to whom on this team? Voracek? Giroux? Konecny? If any of those players were on a truly talented team they would be on the 3rd or 4th line at best.

How out of touch are you? There was just a thread created by fans who wanted Colorado to trade for G to be on their 2nd line. Now the value isn't there, but that's beside the point. Flames fans are asking for Konecny + a small piece for Gaudreau. I guess they really want Travis to bolster their 4th line :rolleyes:.

Hanover Fist

Aug 22, 2018
1313 Mockingbird Lane
How out of touch are you? There was just a thread created by fans who wanted Colorado to trade for G to be on their 2nd line. Now the value isn't there, but that's beside the point. Flames fans are asking for Konecny + a small piece for Gaudreau. I guess they really want Travis to bolster their 4th line :rolleyes:.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Strange. At this time on the squad he is not playing and freeing salary. They dont HAVE to take back salary at all.
What does Byron or Lehkonen do for Philly anyway?? Forward depth is fine.

They're both better defensively than probably anyone on the flyers aside from Couturier.

Not that the flyers have to, but if they want to free up cap they still can.

Just as an example, Byron for Ghost.

Byron's full caption hit leaves and they get Ghost at his new cap hit for the rest of the season and then it obviously goes back to full for next season, where Montreal has more cap space.

Flyers get Byron at his new caphit for this season, which is around 1.75 I believe. Send him to the taxi squad and his cap hit is around 600. Flyers open up around 3.5.

Thats an example and again, not saying the flyers should do that, but by taking salary back they can actually still save a lot..

At around 3.5 saved they could almost take on Hall with no retention, though Buffalo likely does.

They could trade him for another d if a team is interested.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
Review AV's decisions post bubble.
Matchup Grant/Thompson line in playoffs v Barzal and Suzuki lines when you have some guy who won the Selke on your team.
tell Giroux in off season he needs to work harder.
Scratch your leading scorer (TK)
Scratch Myers for Hagg
Bench/Control playing time of Farabee giving the time to Raffl and Kubel instead.
Play Gus over Ghost
Play Twarzinski/Bunny over Patrick/Lindblom
Tell a 22 year goalie with poor confidence you aren't working hard enough.
Only period Flyers outplayed Buffalo last 2 games is when the players spoke up and AV wasn't in the locker room.
Never one time take responsibility for your own faults.

There is plenty of blame to go around this year. But at the top of the class is AV for sure.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Review AV's decisions post bubble.
Matchup Grant/Thompson line in playoffs v Barzal and Suzuki lines when you have some guy who won the Selke on your team.
tell Giroux in off season he needs to work harder.
Scratch your leading scorer (TK)
Scratch Myers for Hagg
Bench/Control playing time of Farabee giving the time to Raffl and Kubel instead.
Play Gus over Ghost
Play Twarzinski/Bunny over Patrick/Lindblom
Tell a 22 year goalie with poor confidence you aren't working hard enough.
Only period Flyers outplayed Buffalo last 2 games is when the players spoke up and AV wasn't in the locker room.
Never one time take responsibility for your own faults.

There is plenty of blame to go around this year. But at the top of the class is AV for sure.

100% agree.
This could is one of the most deep and talented Flyers squads at forward in the last 30 years, and the coach is not doing a good job at maximizing this.

Reactions: Flyer lurker

pooch

May 30, 2017
The system we used last year, was abandoned by AV in the bubble and we have been a mess ever since. And it's not to say that the players have no blame, because they do.

But the Flyers have played 17 games this month...15 of them we allowed 3 goals or more.

Also set a franchise record for most goals allowed in a month and worst GAA in a month.

That's shit coaching.

Just curious, can you be more specific about the system that was played prior to the playoffs and what changed? I can definitely tell something changed, but not sure what. I'm not well versed in that area.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Just curious, can you be more specific about the system that was played prior to the playoffs and what changed? I can definitely tell something changed, but not sure what. I'm not well versed in that area.
The biggest change was the forwards and their support of the defense.

When we would get the puck in our zone, the D used to have 2-3 short pass options. Now, as soon as the D get the puck, the forwards flee the zone and the D often have no one to pass to. So they end up passing it into coverage...and often use the "flip" pass. The result is often:

The forward gets the puck, but is standing still...dumps it in...and we lose possession
The forward chips it in...and we lose possession
The opposing D gets the puck and a quick pass to their forwards means they are counter attacking our D who are standing still.
And lately, we a seem to be overloading one side of the ice....not sure if that is a players mistake or system but it's happening a lot...and if we lose the board battle, the opponent is passing to open guys for scoring chances.

If you were to watch the Flyers game vs the NYI on Mar 18th...you would swear you are watching 2 different games. The 1st 2 periods were how we played last year and it got us a 3-0 lead. Then in the 3rd period, you will see exactly what I described above and we were a mess allowing 3 goals.

Reactions: pooch

pooch

May 30, 2017
The biggest change was the forwards and their support of the defense.

When we would get the puck in our zone, the D used to have 2-3 short pass options. Now, as soon as the D get the puck, the forwards flee the zone and the D often have no one to pass to. So they end up passing it into coverage...and often use the "flip" pass. The result is often:

The forward gets the puck, but is standing still...dumps it in...and we lose possession
The forward chips it in...and we lose possession
The opposing D gets the puck and a quick pass to their forwards means they are counter attacking our D who are standing still.
And lately, we a seem to be overloading one side of the ice....not sure if that is a players mistake or system but it's happening a lot...and if we lose the board battle, the opponent is passing to open guys for scoring chances.

If you were to watch the Flyers game vs the NYI on Mar 18th...you would swear you are watching 2 different games. The 1st 2 periods were how we played last year and it got us a 3-0 lead. Then in the 3rd period, you will see exactly what I described above and we were a mess allowing 3 goals.
Thank you. I have definitely noticed there is maybe one D to D pass and then its a stretch pass out of the zone often leading to the situations you described. I wonder why the sudden change.

Reactions: Tripod

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
They're both better defensively than probably anyone on the flyers aside from Couturier.

Not that the flyers have to, but if they want to free up cap they still can.

Just as an example, Byron for Ghost.

Byron's full caption hit leaves and they get Ghost at his new cap hit for the rest of the season and then it obviously goes back to full for next season, where Montreal has more cap space.

Flyers get Byron at his new caphit for this season, which is around 1.75 I believe. Send him to the taxi squad and his cap hit is around 600. Flyers open up around 3.5.

Thats an example and again, not saying the flyers should do that, but by taking salary back they can actually still save a lot..

At around 3.5 saved they could almost take on Hall with no retention, though Buffalo likely does.

They could trade him for another d if a team is interested.
Beg to differ. Outside of top 6 (CG, SC, KH, JVR, JV, TK), Laughton, Lindblom, Aube-Kubel, even Raffl are all defensively sound bottom 6 guys. Still have Patrick and Farabee dressed so thats 12 guys right there.
Byron, Lehkonen are not needed. Forwards are just fine with prospects like Frost, Bunnaman in line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad