Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Erik Johnson for 2024 4th round pick

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
He is, but two things: one, he’s not producing at either his contract level or the value of the pick we gave up, so this doesn’t speak well to Brière’s negotiating, and two, I wrote that before the deadline. Having extra cap space doesn’t matter now that we can’t make other moves, but at that point, we could have, and extra space under the cap would have made doing so easier.
I don't think we ever were making other moves, and, if we were, salary would be going out, not in.

Nickhr

Jan 24, 2024
Torts runs 11/7 the third most in the league.

Seeler is the only one who probably comes back this year.

So we will be seeing a lot of Staalsyyyy & EJAaaaay.
He did that because they had 8 good D. Three got hurt and one got traded. Last night they had 3 rookie D & 2 had a combined 18 NHL games. They still want to make the playoffs and if EJ helps enough to get there the experience the young players on the team getting playoff experience is worth the 4th.

SnS

Global Moderator
Jan 27, 2009
Wilson, North Carolina
He did that because they had 8 good D. Three got hurt and one got traded. Last night they had 3 rookie D & 2 had a combined 18 NHL games. They still want to make the playoffs and if EJ helps enough to get there the experience the young players on the team getting playoff experience is worth the 4th.

I don’t agree they even have 6 good D. lol.

Reactions: Strawberry Fields

FlyerFire

Feb 16, 2003
Visit site
I can’t remember a single person bitching and moaning about Walker, actually. Bizarre comparison.
Go back to the thread then. Here is one post that didn't even mention him as a return AT ALL
"Nice trade. Good start to Briere’s tenure.

Not a fleecing. I mean, we’re talking about the 22nd overall pick, two 2nds, & Helge Grans. And the Flyers had to absorb Peterson’s brutal contract (don’t get me wrong, I support getting assets for taking a couple short-term bad contracts).

Anyway, it was time to move on from Provorov, & he hasn’t played himself into a better return than this.

I’m happy with it." Another said "Yikes".Another said salary dumps.This is good. Another said he was a 6/7 defender. Most wanted to flip him immediately for whatever. So yes, I would say people were bitching and moaning about the quality of the player

Reactions: Breeze 44

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Weird to see them buying, no?

Selling one D-man for a first and replacing him at the cost of a 4th is not buying, you know...

Look at the big picture. If they were last in the league or something, it would make no sense to even replace him... but they are actually a playoff team. It's already pretty bold to sell in their current situation. You can't not replace the guy you sell going into the playoffs...

Reactions: Chuck Downie

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
This seems like a vast overpayment.
Thank God the Flyers didn't trade their 4th too often in the past years, we would have missed out on superstars Tye McGinn, Collin Suellentrop, Marcel Noebles, Fredric Larsson, Taylor Leier, Samuel Dove-McFalls, Mikhail Vorobyev, Connor Bunnaman, Matthew Strome, Maxim Sushko, John St. Ivany, Mason Millman, Zayde Wisdom, Brian Zanetti, Cole Knuble and Alex Ciernik.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
It's fine to hate this, but I don't see the point in fretting over a 4th when this team doesn't have any of the core pieces needed to build a Cup contender.

If and when we have our own Stamkos, Hedman, Kucherov, Vasi, etc. then you can really get mad that this pick-swap, which would have given us a shot at Point, hurts the future window.

I just can't find much of a reason to care that Briere plugged a hole on a team that's still likely to make the playoffs.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's a 4th round pick in a year where the Flyers still have 10 selections, including five in the first three rounds. I don't see this is a move that is a big buy or anything, it's just cost of doing business and puts a well-regarded/well-respected voice in the Flyers' room for the last few weeks of the season and into the playoffs. Yes, his play has flagged. Does that mean in a situation where the team in front of him is being coached to play a more structured defensive game he might not be at least passable? We'll find out. But in terms of the cost, it's not much at all when looking at the rest of what the Flyers have banked.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He tore his ACL when he was 20, he played 1 season.

..but what a f***in season, eh? Eh?

I can’t value dmen at all, had no clue this dude was still worth shit. Still not sure he’s worth shit, but better hockey minds disagree. Fare thee well, good luck on guitar Eric Johnson! Cliffs of Dover>Banana Pancakes.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
..but what a f***in season, eh? Eh?

I can’t value dmen at all, had no clue this dude was still worth shit. Still not sure he’s worth shit, but better hockey minds disagree. Fare thee well, good luck on guitar Eric Johnson! Cliffs of Dover>Banana Pancakes.
If you’re a veteran with loads of experience and even more respect and even more leadership than that, you’ll always have a place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad