Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Erik Johnson for 2024 4th round pick

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
twosteps-1200x650.jpg

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
So what is the price that doesn't line up? 3 defenseman signed for next season with a couple of RFA's.

He looks to be a 20 point middle pair d-man, who would probably be taking a pay cut on his next contract.

Is there something more to it?
Walker is looking for 5.5 million x 5 years

So DOUBLE his current contract

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The Flyers seem to have a bunch of armchair GM's commenting here, but if they haven't been watching Briere has been stockpiling draft picks since taking over. A forth for a rental veteran RD at this time is not as much a stretch as they're making it out to be. Risto's injury and recovery is probably going to take the rest of the season, so acquiring a large veteran RD who is a good guy for the room is not a bad trade.

pooch

May 30, 2017
The Flyers seem to have a bunch of armchair GM's commenting here, but if they haven't been watching Briere has been stockpiling draft picks since taking over. A forth for a rental veteran RD at this time is not as much a stretch as they're making it out to be. Risto's injury and recovery is probably going to take the rest of the season, so acquiring a large veteran RD who is a good guy for the room is not a bad trade.
Except that he sucks at the hockey part and a 4th is an overpayment.

Evergreen

Makes sense to me. Flyers couldn’t pass up getting a 1st for Walker, but they don’t want to just give up their spot in the playoffs if they can help it. It would be an amazing development experience for their young guys.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Makes sense to me. Flyers couldn’t pass up getting a 1st for Walker, but they don’t want to just give up their spot in the playoffs if they can help it. It would be an amazing development experience for their young guys.
What makes this hard to swallow is we don't trust them to get those kids playoff experience with a veteran option on the roster I'd rather play attard

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Avs fan here... but why. EJ was washed well over a year ago. Very washed. I told the Sabers fans that when they signed him and some were excited. I wasn't being mean. I was just being honest. EJ sucked for the Avs his last season in town.

He's still very washed.

Yeah but what if award-nominated hockey coach Jonathon Torts unwashes him, makes him all dirty again.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I don't get it because they are in a rebuild, but I do get it because they are in 3rd in the Metro and not really fading and just lost 4 defensemen to trades and injures (Walker traded and Seeler, Drysdale, and Risto injured).

I get adding a veteran D due to the injuries to help the team out as a Thank You for their hard work up until this point in the season. A 4th for Johnson seems like too much to spend though. Would have rather claimed a waiver D.

Flyerfan47

Jun 30, 2011

I'm a fan of the Briere and Jonesy combo running the flyers but this trade is horrible, Fletcher like horrible. You can get a half a@@ed veteran off the waiver wire let alone wasting a 4th rounder.
Nothing personal against Johnson personally but grossly overpaid for a 7th or 8th defenseman. In a rebuild you shouldn't be wasting draft assets, that's what this was to me.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4