Confirmed Trade: [PHI/BUF] Erik Johnson for 2024 4th round pick

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
See Colorado Avalanche. Spring 2021-22.

How could a 35-year-old on a one-year-deal who's won a Stanley Cup benefit a room full of first and second-year pros?

The silliness of some of these posts (particularly the day after the Flyers defeated the top team in the Eastern Conference) is mind boggling.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
OK, so retention doesn't matter. My concern is that EJ looks half-decent, and Torts and the young guys love him. I could see him re-signed for 2-3 years after this.

I'd be shocked if that were the case. He's 35. Not 27.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
Yeah, it's only a 4th, and I get they're statically likely to make the playoffs, but an asset is still an asset. They're trying to have it both ways, and I'm not sure that's going to work in the long term. Hoping some of these picks they've loaded up on hit.

Evergreen

What makes this hard to swallow is we don't trust them to get those kids playoff experience with a veteran option on the roster I'd rather play attard
I understand that concern, but I think Ginning comes out of the lineup for EJ. And frankly I think there is value in letting your guys, who have performed well above expectations this year, know that you are still going to support them in their playoff push despite the fact you had to trade a top-4 dman to help provision the team for the future. It sends a positive message.

Reactions: captainpaxil

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
OK, so retention doesn't matter. My concern is that EJ looks half-decent, and Torts and the young guys love him. I could see him re-signed for 2-3 years after this.
He gave up mid game a couple of weeks ago and didn't play after that I think. Certainly someone Torts will love.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
horrible-acid-wash-jeans.jpg

mercury

Mar 10, 2003
South Philly/SoCal
Visit site
They seem to be selling but also buying just odd
They're selling inflated assets that they will not be able to sign for cheap and tinkering with the lineup. The big move this year was Gauthier for Drysdale and a 2nd. Kind of surprised that Laughton didn't go, but his value to the team obviously was higher than what anyone offered. The main thing now is to get the young guys playoff experience and to see if Ersson really is the dude.

drede

Jul 13, 2023
They're selling inflated assets that they will not be able to sign for cheap and tinkering with the lineup. The big move this year was Gauthier for Drysdale and a 2nd. Kind of surprised that Laughton didn't go, but his value to the team obviously was higher than what anyone offered. The main thing now is to get the young guys playoff experience and to see if Ersson really is the dude.
Hopefully Drysdale works out good young player but alot of injuries already. Hopefully he can stay healthy and improve

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Philly really loading up for their playoff run. Replacing smol tiny Walker with Big Strong Derik Johnson.

It's hilarious how unserious the Flyers playoff aspirations are. Everyone's just kinda pretending like it's not even a thing. Even though it's kind of a thing...

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Surprised to get a 4th for him tbh, but maybe I shouldn’t be in this draft. The 2024 class seems to be regarded as a pretty darn shallow one.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Isn't Johnson UFA?
He is, but two things: one, he’s not producing at either his contract level or the value of the pick we gave up, so this doesn’t speak well to Brière’s negotiating, and two, I wrote that before the deadline. Having extra cap space doesn’t matter now that we can’t make other moves, but at that point, we could have, and extra space under the cap would have made doing so easier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad